Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know it's been beat to death on here but what brand of 2-stroke does everybody run. I've been cutting alot here lately, going through alot of oil and thinking about switching brands to save a little cash but don't want to end up buying junk.

I know some of you run klotz and such. Which klotz do ya run and what does it cost?

I'm open to anything that is good and does'nt cost a fortune.

Sorry for beating this oil topic even more.:bang:

I like Stihl Ultra or amsoil saber pro at 50:1 with premium 10% ETOH. The ultra is nice as it comes in premeasured bottles. Saber I buy at my local NAPA in quarts and it is considerably cheaper but less convenient. No problems so far. Used to run Husky XP but the 4-mixers did not like the semi-synthetic blend.

Opti 2 at 100:1. It runs about $60.00 incl tax but you only use half as much. I also like Blenzol at 50:1. Blenzol has no dye so you have to be smarter than the average bear if you are going to run it.

Husky XP semi synth mix. It's $10-$12 for 15 gallons worth (bought in 2.5 gal sized mix bottles), so I'm plenty happy when my mix costs are less than $1 per gallon.

Good luck/experiences with the Baileys WPro Synthetic, which is even cheaper.

My normal game plan is that i use the XP mix for normal use, about 45:1, frequently in some SEF 94 fuel if I think it's going to sit for a while.

When I'm milling, I do about 35:1 or so with premium pump gas and baileys synthetic. 1.6 to 1.8 gallons of premium with a 2.5 gal mixer.

[as much as you all make a stink, i'm sure you all want to share!]

The repairs in the shop get 89 octane w/ Stihl Ultra, and a dose of Star Brite fuel treatment since I don't have a source for cost effective Ethanol free gas.
The work saws get the same treatment, but with 93 octane. I filled up some cans for shop gas and 89 octane gas this morning it was 3.29$ a gallon.

Last edited:
Royal Purple TCWIII And its not cheaper...Bob

TCW3 is the rating for water cooled engines, not good for air cooled engines.

Out of the Klotz oils I recommend R50 and Super TechniPlate, R50 is best if you store you're saws more than a few weeks. I'm running Maxima K2 with great results so far. Motul 800, Silkolene pro2 SX, K2, R50 and Belray H1R are all top of the line ester synthetic oils. I run my saws at 32:1

I use the same can of mix I use in my 2 stroke four wheeler. Regular pump gas with Amsoil Dominator. But would use any quality 2 stroke oil, Maxima,Klotz etc... The last thing you wanna use is the cheap 2 stroke lawn mower oil you find in pep boys or any box store.

I use Woodland Pro Synthetic at 40:1 , which reminds me, I'm down to 1 bottle left, need to buy some more.;)
:cheers:
Gregg,

Local mill owners bought that Woodland Pro stuff by the case, as it was cheap. They run it 50:1. I recently tore down there 385 husky, and have never seen so much carbon in my life. Not sure it the oil is what did it, but have my suspicions. The saw was tuned correctly, I might add.

Up until now, I have been running Mobil 1-2T, but am on my last quart. :cry:

I am fixing to try some Motul 800, and some Castor 927, as it was gave to me. After that ????

Local mill owners bought that Woodland Pro stuff by the case, as it was cheap. They run it 50:1. I recently tore down there 385 husky, and have never seen so much carbon in my life. Not sure it the oil is what did it, but have my suspicions. The saw was tuned correctly, I might add.

Up until now, I have been running Mobil 1-2T, but am on my last quart. :cry:

I am fixing to try some Motul 800, and some Castor 927, as it was gave to me. After that ????

I was thinking of trying the woodland pro but had my suspicions.

Have you noticed this problem with carbon Gregg?:monkey:

Latest posts

Back