oiler settings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do you set your oiler ?

• always min

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • always max

Votes: 56 82.4%
  • always in between

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • depends on the wood

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • depends on the cut

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • depends on the weather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - if so, please specify

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I ran oiler set to maximum and I was wondering, depending of wood and cut, that maybe there is a way telling when it is ok to lower the oil level so I might save some.
how do you do it ?

It depends on the saw for me. The 660 with the HO oiler is running on the Economy setting and still throws plenty off the bar tip with a 30" bar. The 390 and 2171 are somewhere in the middle also for the bars I run. I just set it and forget it usually.

The only modern saw I own is a Stihl MS260 with a 16" bar and chain. I like plenty of oil, so I set the oiler on max when I first got the saw.

I like to see the gas tank go empty just before the oil tank. Even on max, there is quite a bit of oil left in the oil tank when I have to gas up.

I have a feeling that modern saws are a bit stingy with the oil. Maybe this is because of the EPA. I don't know that for a fact though.

Bob

On my Stihls I crank it up as they don't really over oil at that setting. On my Pioneers though that would be insane. Those saws crank out the oil. So I picked "other". It depends on the saw.

There is only one setting, wide :censored: open. Bar and chain oil is cheap compared to new bars and chains. Sides that, I likes em wide open, slick and oily.

Yeah, I'm still talking about oiler settings.

:rock:

well, it seems that max is in fashion around pros;
yes, it is cheap and messy.

funny thing though: on my bottle of oil it says that is not environmental friendly therefore should be taken after use to special collecting points.
:hmm3grin2orange:
yeah, maybe let the setting on max and forget about it is the way to go.
thanks.

Definetly maxed out all the time. Farm Co-op had bar oil for 5.88 gal last week on sale for winter grade. Picked up a couple cases at that price.

Latest posts

Back