OK here is your chance to get Rope lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like she overheated in the stump Rope, the stump is where a awful lot of chainsaws meet their doom. Some folks cut so close to the ground the air flow is blocked off at the recoil assembly, meaning its picking up heat from the exhaust, and the motor overheats. Was you cutting real close to the ground?

You got a long service life out of that saw so you can't complain and no one can fault the saw, not even us Stihl guys, that saw done its job. 8 years out of a saw used daily is awesome. Check the bearings in that saw real real close Rope, including the lower main before you decide to rebuild it. She's overheated on top meaning the bottom got hot too. With 8 years on it those bearings have done alot of work and may need replacing. If the bottom main has any up and down play in it at all it be best to park that old saw and get a new one...

Yup exactly it was cutting a stump lower the guy did not want it ground but wanted the 45 inch stump low:rolleyes: I will now say no, I will grind it but not cut it lower than the flair. Anyway good thing I have two lol I am not down and can look for a new old stock or build this saw as a learning experience.

I can't post much from the shop anymore due to being so busy. Sales have been awesome this year. Things have really took a big up swing this year over last year. Between sales, repairs, ordering and dealing with the folks I don't get much time to post at the shop. So in all things have been going good man,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

QUOTE]

Tommy,
Its grea to hear your busy. I stopped in my local dealer to check on a air filter screw/flange for an 066 last week and he had a sign up that said "closed wednesdays". I walked in and joked.."Hey you workin on your golf game with the Doctors?"...he looked at me crossed and said "dude we are so slow we can't stay open 6 days." if it don't pick up we are going to 4 days then we are going to be makin pizza if that don't work.

this is a guy who has been there 35 years at least. Darn shame and I'm real tired of makin pizza too.

Me, I wouldn't do the crank unless necessary.

Yep, that's not an easy call. Cranks are pricey but it's hard to say how much life the crank will have in it after 8,000hrs of use. Didn't you have one take a poo on you after a rebuild, Steve? Might have been more or a cleaning/lube issue as I recall.

Rope that saw bought has you a lot of meals. Get ya a new one and sit that saw on the shelf, or have it bronzed maybe. Any saw that lasted that long deserves a rest. :cheers:

Ok guys piston was scored exhaust side little transfer on jug I think I know what may have occurred. It had been being used by a friend that brought it to me saying it kept dying that night I found a bad impulse line and repaired. I remember it being bad dirty in there and wonder if it sucked in some trash. It looked more like abrasive than carbon. I cleaned out the case with a good rinse or two and blowed it out with air. Then put on the old jug and piston and had 150 compression cold! Started right up ran good but I think I will bench it until I at least test case for air leaks. The big bearing had no play

If it's run 8 yrs without swapping out bearings or a piston, then she's got plenty of rebuild life left in her:cheers: no worries, just a bit of time and money - Sam

........I can't post much from the shop anymore due to being so busy. Sales have been awesome this year. WILDThings have really took a big up swing this year over last year. Between sales, repairs, ordering and dealing with the folks I don't get much time to post at the shop. So in all things have been going good man,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tom

You'll sell anything! :jawdrop: :monkey: :jawdrop:

If it's run 8 yrs without swapping out bearings or a piston, then she's got plenty of rebuild life left in her:cheers: no worries, just a bit of time and money - Sam

At a little over seven it was ported but the old cylinder was still good put it on and its running now! It was running fine before and after the port job, cylinder just needs cleaned up I think I will post picks of cylinder and meteor piston and maybe the experts can tell if it was air leak or overheat etc.

Yep, that's not an easy call. Cranks are pricey but it's hard to say how much life the crank will have in it after 8,000hrs of use. Didn't you have one take a poo on you after a rebuild, Steve? Might have been more or a cleaning/lube issue as I recall.

Hey, yes I did have one take a crap on me, on the first run too.

At a little over seven it was ported but the old cylinder was still good put it on and its running now! It was running fine before and after the port job, cylinder just needs cleaned up I think I will post picks of cylinder and meteor piston and maybe the experts can tell if it was air leak or overheat etc.

Shouldn't be too tough to get to the bottom of, and a 372 is worth keeping going in these days of EPA bs - Sam

Rope, I think you're chitin' us about your limp wristed 372 having 4000 hrs. That translates to 8000 cords, or enough to heat your hick town for ten years unless you were running your usual rocked out chain which then would only be 1000 cords of summerwood, some are this long some are that long.
There's no way a tree ape is ever gonna cut that much wood! Lol
John

My light truck has both an hour meter and an odometer. Four thousand hours would be the equivalent to 131,000 miles. That’s a long way and it don’t idle much. I know of excavators that needed new undercarriages at 4000 hours. I say the saw has done its time. Throw the carcass up on ebay and go get a new one. Fall/winter is the busy season. Whats your time worth? You should be able to find a real 372xp if you call around. If not, get a dolmar 7900. Good saw with a little more power in the stump, so to speak.

Rope, I think you're chitin' us about your limp wristed 372 having 4000 hrs. That translates to 8000 cords, or enough to heat your hick town for ten years unless you were running your usual rocked out chain which then would only be 1000 cords of summerwood, some are this long some are that long.
There's no way a tree ape is ever gonna cut that much wood! Lol
John

Lol I used it likely more but if you only assume ten hours per-week it breaks the 4k mark at 8 years. I almost always used it more but it is plain 4 k is a reasonable estimate.

Lol I used it likely more but if you only assume ten hours per-week it breaks the 4k mark at 8 years. I almost always used it more but it is plain 4 k is a reasonable estimate.
Lol, I was just trying to stay on the topic.
As far as gas consumption that would be 5000 litres or 1000 gallons, so the saw doesn't owe you anything.
Keep us updated as to why it broke down.
John

Are ya gonna get her ported again Rope? If I were you I'd stay stock and get another 7 instead of ported and getting a year but thats just me,:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Back