ok how many of you have had a close call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Ha, Yea I remember a lot of close calls on the July 4 th shutdowns in Ketchikan.

I think that my best logging close call was when I was a green choker setter and working on a shotgun carriage. Real peckerpole patch so we had all 3/4' chokers. Just myself and the rigging slinger. I had just set a choker on a very small cedar pole. It was a new choker and it was'nt snoosed up tight. The slinger blew for slack and I stepped over this big noose (Iknow Iknow) Might have been Tightline Harry on the yarder. Anyway instead of slack we got a tightline and the snare got my foot perfect, somehow I was able to grab the line instead of falling over. I'm sure it was a 40' pole, but it did'nt come off the ground. There I was ten feet in the air looking at my foot choked in with the log. Must have hallucinated because I thought I saw my boot sole seperate from the upper. Sure glad the whistle worked to stop and get slack. I was okay other than a sore foot for a couple of days.

That would have been a sight going into the landing.

one thing i hate most is nasty cable.

beeing jabbed to the bone, actually hearing the flesh ripping while the cable is trying to suck your hand through the bell, seing the cable come out the other side of your finger or hand...

Diesel fuel makes it all better for the rest of the day, not so much the next day though...

Ha Ha, Yea I remember a lot of close calls on the July 4 th shutdowns in Ketchikan.

I think that my best logging close call was when I was a green choker setter and working on a shotgun carriage. Real peckerpole patch so we had all 3/4' chokers. Just myself and the rigging slinger. I had just set a choker on a very small cedar pole. It was a new choker and it was'nt snoosed up tight. The slinger blew for slack and I stepped over this big noose (Iknow Iknow) Might have been Tightline Harry on the yarder. Anyway instead of slack we got a tightline and the snare got my foot perfect, somehow I was able to grab the line instead of falling over. I'm sure it was a 40' pole, but it did'nt come off the ground. There I was ten feet in the air looking at my foot choked in with the log. Must have hallucinated because I thought I saw my boot sole seperate from the upper. Sure glad the whistle worked to stop and get slack. I was okay other than a sore foot for a couple of days.

That would have been a sight going into the landing.

:hmm3grin2orange:...especially when they bumped all your knots and decked you.

Funny this thread should show up, as I got ANOTHER bill yesterday from having my foot put back together. MS361 to the boot. Cut through the bone. Surgery, SS bar with matching screws, stiches, light limp on the bad days, no more feeling in the big toe. Could have been worse. Surprised how nice a kerf I ended up with. Even got a pic I can share.

Funny this thread should show up, as I got ANOTHER bill yesterday from having my foot put back together. MS361 to the boot. Cut through the bone. Surgery, SS bar with matching screws, stiches, light limp on the bad days, no more feeling in the big toe. Could have been worse. Surprised how nice a kerf I ended up with. Even got a pic I can share.

i'll look at the pic. :chainsaw:
if it isn't against forum rules or anything........

About 7 years ago or so I was in college and working weekends trying to make extra money to put gas in the gas guzzler I was driving. I'm clearing land for a horse farm. I walk up to a big pine. I'm using a tiny Echo saw thats idling a tad too fast. I make my first cut then go to get better footing to finish the face cut. I trip and loose my footing and in trying to get my balance back I touch my gloved finger across the *slowly* spinning chain on the Echo. 5 cute cuts along my right index finger. One scar still reminds me today. I still have the glove too. Taught me a lesson quick.

And good job MNGuns. That would make me queasy. If it were my foot that is.

Close or not so close calls

I was test running some little saws today, almost fell into my Poulan
Super 25 Deluxe. I think I am going to stick with the PP260 & the
Husqvarna 435 for cutting up all of these fallen limbs from Feb. ice storm.
I don't like the lack of leverage with a top handle. The S25 does not
have a chain break either.

My next door neighbor cut his leg about 15 years ago with with
his Jonsered. I guess he learned his lesson the hard way. He is
still cutting when he needs to, I think with the same saw.

I was trying to re-cuperate after a bad back injury, and could barely move around like an 80 year old woman on a walker. I was ram-rodding the cable set of a fair sized pull - down, and as I attempted to hobble out of the way, my son (17) tightened up the cable (5/8). It zipped through the leaves and snapped strait right on my 'better' leg. 6 more inches and I would have been severely re-injured. Just one....of many....

If you can type / read this, then it's only a close call. (Past close is terminal)

January 1982 we had a 50 year storm come through. The river rose 23' IIRC, 12 or 13 feet over flood stage. I was volunteering for the Red Cross clearing downed trees from around houses. I was on top of an old redwood stump, maybe 6 or 8 feet off the ground bucking a tan oak stem off the root ball. It was laying horizontal after being deposited there by the river. As I cut 1 of 3 stems it popped and jumped up and rotated towards me. It hit me hard on the front of my right thigh. All I could think of was to get down on the ground before the adrenaline wore off and the pain set in.

Long story short, nothing broken just a severe bruise. I was on crutches for 3 weeks. The worst part was trying to off the codiene!

Got bumped pretty good once clearing jackstrawed blowdown out of a road. Nicked my chaps once getting sloppy and walking into the bar. Nicked a steel toe once coming out of a big fir I was bucking up. Dropped a snag on my helmet once or twice in doghair hemlock patches. Mostly I've been both careful and lucky. Always carry a first aid kit, and always wear your PPE!

My Dad's 028 super,,,and just buckin some stuff around...I still dont know what happened,I never had a kickback before that one,,but I was in my early 20's and never had one like that again....I was about a tru cut and it kicked back and about broke my left wrist,,and it stopped a few inches from my head....Wasnt anything around,,,making a clean cut,,,I still dont know what happened,,but I know the chain brake worked....I wear a skull bucket when I'm out in the woods alone me being 47 years old now....I know I couldnt hold one back like that time...

I had a tree hang up so I dropped a second tree on it which also got hung up. To drop those two I had to cut a third tree that put me under the whole mess. Being young and dumb I went for it. At least I took my time, cut a little bit and ran, cut some more and ran.

When it did finally fall instead of coming straight down the second tree rolled towards me. A 12 inch tree stopped it and kept me safe. Way to close.

Well how many is the question I don't remember them all just the bad ones. One was cutting overhang in my early years breaking it back off 3 phaze, sweet gum; hinge broke! limb in my hand and across all 3 phases giving me a nice charge. Another time working with a gun ho a hole, chipping while he fell a spar that got away and I barely heard head ache and stood up; got nailed in the shoulder and knocked to the ground but if I had not stood fast would have been pinned on my hard hat. I work and call the shots now and have not had a close call in prolly close to 17 years but I am careful.

Last edited:
Near-miss today: bent the bar a bit droppin' a snag due to my failure to account for outside rot while back-boring. Saw the tree start to go over, held on to the saw, tilted it up as the snag rolled off the stump to minimize damage, and realized once the thing was safely on the ground and the bar bent that I shoulda hauled it outta there rather than babyin' the bar. I mean, seriously -- what's a <$100 bar compared to my life? Dumb mistake. Lessons learned. Next time that bar can tie itself up like a pretzel for all I care; I'll pick up the pieces once the fallin's done.

65 stitches right lower leg , freshly sharpened to shaving edge axe first swing ,
an hour and a half drive to the front gate of the farm then up the highway to the hospital another 3/4 of an hour .
the fun part was when they scrubbed the wound in the hospital , i think they heard me on the moon.
i did have 2 other guys with me there is no way i would of made the drive out on my own by the time we reached the hospital my whole leg was as hard as a rock and the biggest cramp in the history of mankind.
have had a lot of other fun things like an arrow through the other leg and all kinds of make your eyes water type stuff but i wont go there now hurts thinking about some of them .
just add to that the worst pain i had and would not mind a bit if i never get it again was renal colic brought on by dehydration , ( the doc did mention that they rekon its worse than child birth and i am in no position to argue with that )

Last edited:
About 6 months ago i was hit and pinned by a decent sized Oregon, squashed me into the ground folded me in half and broke my back a rib and collapsed lung. Was stuck under it for about 40 mins till i dug myself out. Was unbelievably lucky, the whole tree was flat on the ground except for a little hollow where i happened to be standing.
Spinal fusion of L4 and L5 and i was back at work 3 months later.
Scariest thing that's ever happened to me, thought i was dead for sure.

I sawed right through the toe of my boot cut a hole in my sock and did not nick my toes. I was very lucky and now wear steel toes. When I was a kid I saw my dad flush cutting a stump and he lost a fuel line on his old Pioneer and the saw burst into a ball of flame and other than some minor burns he was fine. He bought a new saw that week and the following weekend he was sawing on a massive silver maple and hit some barbed wire inside the tree. The chain broke hit him in the scalp taking a chunk of flesh and finally wrapping around his neck. He was ticked off they had to shave a patch of hair to stitch him up. :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back