OK, I scored a saw. Now I need help deciding how bad to feel.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Nothing's simple in my life, everything's complex. Sometimes that's cool, mostly it's exhausting. There's a guy I know, I'm friendly with him. I've fixed saws for him when he's got too many to work on; he's my Stihl dealer. I've got a lot of respect for this guy, he's a good wrench, he treats his customers well. He's helped me out many times; as I mentioned, I've helped him out as well. The young guy who works in his shop is a good tech, for his experience level. I like both these guys a lot.

Yesterday I stop in for some chains, and to grab an 009 that belongs to a friend, the saw just kind of wound up hibernating there over the winter. It needs a part that's NLA, but there's a parts saw there I can snag it from. While hunting in the shed, I trip on an 034 Super that's tagged PARTS.

If there's a saw near the top of my Want List, it's an 034 Super. I am not above putting a slug and jug in an otherwise useable saw. I'm not a collector, just a firewooder, but I've come to love my 028 and 026. An 034 would be just Super. :msp_rolleyes:

The clutch cover for the saw has the front bar stud in it, which is very obviously stripped out of the case. There's a decent 20" bar with the saw, for cryin' out loud. It passes the hang test.

Dude, why's this saw junked? Not just the bar stud, right?

No, it must have a scored piston or something, somebody didn't want to put repair money into it.

Would it be OK if it followed me home and was effed with? If I don't want to fix it, I'll bring it back so you've got it for parts; if I wanna fix it, I'll drop a few bucks on ya.

Yeah, that's cool, have fun.

Thanks man.

So, I get it home, and it does not have a scored piston. It pops on the first pull, with stale gas. It runs on the second pull, and idles nice after about five seconds. Runs even better on fresh gas. Oil pump could maybe work a little better.

One time-sert later, and I'm cutting wood. The saw will clean up decent or better, it's not whupped at all. I can not for the life of me imagine how this thing wound up in the junk pile.

So here's my dilemma- I'm not working for dude at the moment- no wholesale pricing anymore. I'm just a customer, although he gives me 15% off. I'm not a 'company man' at the moment. I'd work for him again, if he asked, which he may, come fall.

I feel like I asked the right questions about the saw, to ensure that it was in fact an abandoned saw, for parts. I offered him some money if I found it fixable. I was thinking like 40 bucks for a junk saw is fair, and I'll wind up with an 034S for whatever I'm into it for when it runs.

I'm into it for like a ribeye steak, which I'll buy for my buddy at the garage who has the time-sert kit. Maybe I'll need an oil pump.

Should I be feeling bad? Am I a weenie for even asking? I don't have a large chainsaw budget, hell, I don't have a large anything budget. I fix up old stuff when I need something, 'cause I'm pretty good at fixing stuff. Someone obviously gave up on this 034, and I spotted it and got lucky. That's not a bad thing, is it?

Besides, it's all Oscar's fault, I saw that 038 Mag on CL, and I was right in your backyard, too, picking up tractor stuff in Kresgeville. Got me thinkin' 'bout bigger saws, he did.

Last edited:
You go back to the saw shop and tell them you have determined it is worth fixing so what do they want for the parts saw? I have said this before on this site but BUY THE SAW FIRST, THEN FIX IT. I don't think you need to feel bad at all. Maybe suggest to them that if it needs an oiler, will they sell you one at cost? If it doesn't need an oiler, maybe you can get this saw going for pretty cheap. Just pay their price, save the steaks for your wife or girlfriend.

Is that a crack in the bottom left of the rear handle?

Last edited:
Nice find!

Do like you said and 'Drop him a few $$$'.

It was already condemned to be parted out. Do you think he'll need your help in the near future? Maybe wait until you're helping him out again and then give him the $40.00.

I don't know man, thats a kinda weird situation.

I think I would just not mention anything else about it until he does. If he doesnt ever say anything then he obviously did'nt care much about it, and I would leave it at that. :msp_thumbup:

It's worth more than $40 in parts to the saw shop.

How much is it worth to you?

I think that's a pretty good point. I think I'd pay a hundred for it, knowing what I know now. A running 034S for a hundred is a pretty sweet deal. I threw $40 out because that's what I paid him for the last junker I tried, which didn't work out quite as well.

My 034S is a great saw, and feels excellent in my hands and in the wood. Glad to see you scored a biggie on your want list! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't wring your hands over any dilemma.

And full marks for correct usage of "ensure!" :)

Last edited:
If you will do work for him in the future just swap work time for the saw. Thats how I get most of my junk. He will be happy not to have to pay you anything and you will get a saw for free.

I think that's a pretty good point. I think I'd pay a hundred for it, knowing what I know now. A running 034S for a hundred is a pretty sweet deal. I threw $40 out because that's what I paid him for the last junker I tried, which didn't work out quite as well.

My first thought, was throw him a C note and everyone feels good about it.

So I think you're on the right track. :msp_smile:

I would not feel bad about it. I'm guessing someone brought this saw in for repair and the dealer told them they would be better off with a "new" saw and the 034S was not worth repairing. The owner of the 034S was more than likely not mechaniclly inclined and shelled out the cash for a new MS290 that most Stihl dealers think is the answer to all the worlds problems. He left with a new MS290 and a free storage case, a six pack of Stihl Ultra, an extra chain, and if real lucky, a new Stihl hat, a very happy camper, leaving his much better saw behind that the dealer quickly forgot about. Give him 40 bucks for the 034S. I bet the dealer has nothing in it.
This situation is just a guess, but it seems like there's more and more dealers now days that would rather sell you a new saw than fix your older saw. Some of the best deals I have gotten were "junks" saws that actually needed very little work from the back shelves of the local dealers

Last edited:
Well... There's not a thing wrong with being honest and you'll feel better if you are. What would be wrong with just telling him the truth? He might respect you for that and give you a good deal on the saw. If not, you can always charge him for the repairs you did to the saw and return it to him. Just my $.02...

And full marks for correct usage of "ensure!" :)

ensure-clear-coupon-img2.png

If I find a saw that I want I make a deal for it at that time and it is 100% mine. If it turns out that it is a gem I have no guilt or any other obligation to the seller. If it is a turd I just hope to do better next time. Open ended arrangements can lead to misunderstandings between the parties.

Theres a dealer near me that has a pristine 041 that got traded in on a new 390. I know of this saw cause it was a freinds of mine. He bumped his head in a motorcycle wreck and doesn't think real clearly anymore. This dealer told him the carb was NLA, and it wasn't worth rebuilding. He gave him $100 for it but I think he made that $100 back on the price. It sounded pretty high.

This shop is nearly out of business now but I would like to go in there and see if its sitting around.

Just me but I'd be wringing my hands every time I fired that 034 up for $40

I am in the same boat you are in. I don't own or work at a shop. I cut firewood to heat my house and am always on the lookout for saws to use.

I bought a "junk" saw from a local shop for $40. It was a 1981 Husqvarna 266SE. I got it running 5 minutes after I got home. Later I found it was junked because it had a leaking crank seal that caused the piston to be scored. It still had 160 psi compression with the scored piston. I rebuilt the saw and it is the first one I pick up for firewood.

I bought a Stihl 028 Super from a contractor a few months ago. It had very low compression and I found out later it had ATF in the oil tank and fuel. I think he got on the job and realized he forgot his chainsaw stuff so he tried ATF instead. It didn't work. I got the saw for $20 and rebuilt it. It is a very nice limbing saw and it is my go to for slash.

The point is something is worth what it is worth when a buyer and seller agree. Most sellers think chainsaws are plated in gold. I see tons of well used Craftsman saws on craigslist going for just under new prices. If you can get a saw that is advertised as "junk' for $40 that means it is worth "40" to the seller. I wouldn't feel bad as long as you both agree on the price.

I had a friend give me 4 junk saws and recently a Husqvarna cutoff saw. They all needed work and he didn't want them. In fact he thanked me for taking them and making room in his shop. We are still friends and we were both very happy with that deal.

Bob

Offer him the $40.00 (hopefully he'll accept it), and never again mention the saw to him, especially if turns out not to need much to put it back to cutting wood.

Don't feel guilty. The man runs a saw shop, he's a good mechtech, & he sent a repairable saw to the junk/donor pile. That was his doing, not yours.

Would you be OK if he did that to you? Be honest. If he didn't wholeheartedly trust you before, he certainly will now.

You will feel better about yourself (you ARE looking for people to say it's okay) and he will feel better about himself trusting you and ever knowing you etc. If he is a good guy, I bet that $40 price tag will still be in effect.

Money comes and goes but integrity does not. Besides, the truth is always the easiest thing to remember...

Tell him you want to fix it up to cut firewood and ask how much he wants for it....

You will feel better about yourself (you ARE looking for people to say it's okay)

Money comes and goes but integrity does not.

Not really looking for people to say it's OK, just wondering what the etiquette is in this situation. Integrity I got plenty of, money not so much.

I have yet to ever have anyone come to me, post-sale, and offer me additional money because they felt that they were given too good a deal on something. I, on the other hand, have done precisely that on several occasions, when I can do so without giving offense to the seller. Just yesterday I paid someone about $30 more than I needed to for a porta-power and an arbor press, because she has sold me Coleman lanterns for a really good price in the past. I want her to pick up the phone the next time she gets Coleman lanterns, and give me first whack at them. Everybody's happy.

If were still working for Dude, and getting my parts wholesale, I would of course let him know that the saw is repairable, and then repair it and put it out for sale. Now I find myself in the slightly delicate position of letting him know that he or his helper tossed a perfectly decent saw on the pile.

I'm totally keeping the saw, unless he demands it back, which is highly unlikely. I'm just trying to find a polite way to give him some free money from his junk pile, without being a knob about it.

In a couple weeks, I'm going to hand him a hundred, and ask him to get me an oil pump for it. Everyone's happy, unless I miss my guess. Fact is, I wish to retain his friendship, and access to his scrap pile. Plus I'm a good guy.

Back