Ok serious tree advice only please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
I want too know what others do as far as scheduling work and not losing it! I hear many of you speaking your booked two months out etc. My best times I'm two weeks behind but I always lose work bidding when they find out they will need to wait etc. I sometimes also lose work on dreaded jobs because some work I must be feeling my oats on to start! I try to call and let folks know where I'm at etc. However sometimes it's outta our control such as: rain, equipment issues I just want to know how others handle keeping the customers committed without ending up committed in the looney bin?

First question, Rope. Do you use contracts? One of the guys I climbed for in Bastrop after the fire was having the same problem. He was a word of mouth kind of guy. He sent me out on a few bids and I always came backwth a signed contract. He didn't like it at first until he noticed none of them cancelled.
There's a mental shift when someone signs a piece of paper. It commits and protects both parties.

First question, Rope. Do you use contracts? One of the guys I climbed for in Bastrop after the fire was having the same problem. He was a word of mouth kind of guy. He sent me out on a few bids and I always came backwth a signed contract. He didn't like it at first until he noticed none of them cancelled.
There's a mental shift when someone signs a piece of paper. It commits and protects both parties.

See I knew there was a reason I posted this thread! I write on a proposal from office depot but not a contract! I worked with a friend on AS and he used contracts with a clause that was a 200 buck cancellation fee. I'm strongly considering it. I'ts funny how everyone that calls feels their work must be done now lol, like we are sitting there waiting for a phone call, ok sometimes I am :(

Never let em see you sweat, lol. The most uncomfortable part of selling is the close. At that the point the BS walks and the money talks. When I write a contract, I am very specific about the scope of work , and put an estimated start and completion date. Keep in mind, these dates can be renegotiated. If I have to do that, I will call in advance and put it like this: " Mr. Smith, we ran into a delay on this job, and will be there on this date instead of the one agreed upon if that is OK. One thing I won't do is leave a job unfinished to start another one. When we get to your job, we will complete it before going to the next one. I hope you can understand and respect that." 99% of customers appreciate that, and the other 1% you probably didn't want to work for anyway.

I give a rough timeframe when closing of when we can do the job and watch their reaction closely. If they seem anxious I suddenly " remember " that I have a opening earlier than I originally thought. Most of my customers are pretty relaxed anout when I do their work so I shuffle those types back and the anxious ones, or big money ones forward. Sometimes the close is (storm work being a great example) "I will be there tomorrow" and I do what I say. I will touch base with most of my customers if I have to shuffle them too far down the line.

I give a rough timeframe when closing of when we can do the job and watch their reaction closely. If they seem anxious I suddenly " remember " that I have a opening earlier than I originally thought. Most of my customers are pretty relaxed anout when I do their work so I shuffle those types back and the anxious ones, or big money ones forward. Sometimes the close is (storm work being a great example) "I will be there tomorrow" and I do what I say. I will touch base with most of my customers if I have to shuffle them too far down the line.

I do pretty much the same.

I still haven't figured out why rural people are "need it done now" so much more than town people.

I still haven't figured out why rural people are "need it done now" so much more than town people.

Impulse buyers? Just want it done? Have a chainsaw but "Don't have the time"? Love that last line... At least most city folk know they have no clue what they're doing.

I want too know what others do as far as scheduling work and not losing it! I hear many of you speaking your booked two months out etc. My best times I'm two weeks behind but I always lose work bidding when they find out they will need to wait etc. I sometimes also lose work on dreaded jobs because some work I must be feeling my oats on to start! I try to call and let folks know where I'm at etc. However sometimes it's outta our control such as: rain, equipment issues I just want to know how others handle keeping the customers committed without ending up committed in the looney bin?

I hear ya rope.I often have the same problem.Phone collects cobwebs at times and then BANG, everybody needs something done yesterday.I do have contracts and they help to a degree but,I have had people call the an hour before I was to start a job and cancel.Sucks but, what you gonna do?

I just try to be as honest as I can with everybody and let the chips fall where they may.Certain clients do get top priority though.You know ,the one's that call you 4-5 times a year ,every year and don't try to nickel and dime you to death.

Thinking about having myself cloned.That would help,eh?:hmm3grin2orange:

Funny you should post this!!
I just lost a job from a woman I've been doing yard work for for the past 10 years. She's one of those "gottas have it done NOW" types. She's called me, knows I'm busy but have never let her down and it always gets done. Stopped by last week late, nobody home but knew what had to get done. Bunch of small trees, spring cleanup, etc. Called her today to get there tomorrow, Sunday. Nope, already called someone else to do the work along with a laundry list of items!!:angry: I'll get her back when I tell her the price I was going to charge. ( she had "green & yellow" do it)

How to keep customers and keep them satisfied? Work everyday, rain or shine, and work till the sun goes down. When you show up in their yard at 6 pm with the chipper and a helper or two, they know you're doing your best to get it done. And working on Sunday never fails to impress. Try to do a bit more than planned for the same price too. This will get them to call again, regardless of how long it takes to get there. Once they know you're trying, they are a bit more sympathetic and are willing to wait unless you're the broad from above!!

In the end, I'll win ....;)

Last edited:

They have more time to stew about it by themselves. Most of arboriculture is based on assuaging some sort of anxiety like "will this tree crush my house" or "do I need to do something so they are healthy". In town they have too much else on their plate. My city clients are far busier than I am, of course I resist being busy.

Rope, it's one of the things I dislike about this gig. Trees grow slowly but all the sudden something needs to be done now. I give them a blanket 3 week timeline, sometimes longer. If they can't handle that kind of wait I try to pawn them off on one of my competitors. If they want me to climb and dismantle decadent scary trees that they just noticed, I'm doing it on my time. But customer service has never been one of my strong suits.

I just think its silly I mean need dentist set appointment usually month away they will wait then for sure lol but trees ok I'll see if so and so is busy grrrr!

I hate giving serious advice.

If you're booked out two months ahead, I wouldn't worry about one or two customers cancelling. They would probably have been hard to work for anyway. I think it's all about attitude. When I'm really busy, I just get cockier. People sense it. There are so many great lines, and you feel like josey wales every time you get to use one of them.

"We're booked out till June. Most quality tree companies are the same. Of course, if you're not worried about insurance or property damage there are plenty of guys out there who can come today"

etc etc....

I once had a real rich snooty housewife giving me a hard time, looking down her nose at me while I was working in her neighbors yard and generally making my life miserable. She asked for a quote on some of her own trees, and I've never been happier to quote a job. Nothing like screwing someone while you've got a smile on your face :) Casually I replied;

"sure, I'll be happy to come quote your trees. The price may be a little out of your budget though."

That sure riled her up good! She went to great lengths to insist that it was well within her means and that money was no object. So I figured a high price, trippled it, then added a little more and rounded it up for good measure. Plus sales tax. The look on her face when I told her the price said it all. While she was thinking about it, I had to offer her some consolation;

"Of course, not everyone can afford quality tree care. You may like to get some other quotes and look for something a little more affordable"

She had to choose between letting me politely insult her, or letting me rip her off. Either way, win win for me :)

Shaun

I hate giving serious advice.

If you're booked out two months ahead, I wouldn't worry about one or two customers cancelling. They would probably have been hard to work for anyway. I think it's all about attitude. When I'm really busy, I just get cockier. People sense it. There are so many great lines, and you feel like josey wales every time you get to use one of them.

"We're booked out till June. Most quality tree companies are the same. Of course, if you're not worried about insurance or property damage there are plenty of guys out there who can come today"

etc etc....

I once had a real rich snooty housewife giving me a hard time, looking down her nose at me while I was working in her neighbors yard and generally making my life miserable. She asked for a quote on some of her own trees, and I've never been happier to quote a job. Nothing like screwing someone while you've got a smile on your face :) Casually I replied;

"sure, I'll be happy to come quote your trees. The price may be a little out of your budget though."

That sure riled her up good! She went to great lengths to insist that it was well within her means and that money was no object. So I figured a high price, trippled it, then added a little more and rounded it up for good measure. Plus sales tax. The look on her face when I told her the price said it all. While she was thinking about it, I had to offer her some consolation;

"Of course, not everyone can afford quality tree care. You may like to get some other quotes and look for something a little more affordable"

She had to choose between letting me politely insult her, or letting me rip her off. Either way, win win for me :)

Shaun

Haha no smile bro that was a #### eating grin :)

They have to sign the quote to get work done. It is more of a signed authorization rather than a legally written contract.

Once they have agreed to the work, then I give them a rough time frame, ie within the next three weeks. I usually give the basic fluff to avoid being pinned down ie need to check which crews are available; coordinate with other salesmen etc. Then I call back in a day or so to confirm the day.

I know it's hard, but I really try to avoid appearing to be desperate. When you appear desperate, you are now negotiating from a position of weakness.

I am scheduled out 3-4 weeks with 3 crews. I try not to pre-schedule work for Fridays so I can squeeze in the must haves and rain delay work. I always try to give my commercial accounts and long time customers top priorty

Back