ok, so I'm not a logger....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took down a pine earlier this year, and we gave it all away. Didnt even know people would by it. Seems most want oak around here. Wish we would have tried to sell it first LOL.

Give a thought to working with the true 660, a McCulloch geardrive.
I spent endless hours and days using one, not a lace panty chainsaw.

Will going back and forth between a Super 250 and a 797 suffice?

just wondering do the bow saws save on the back or what never had the chance to run one

For me they do, but I am almost 6'2" tall. Another advantage is that the bow doesn't have the height and surface area of a straight bar thus you reduce the probability of pinching when bucking a log.

You guys mean you don't use your 660's as limbing saws.... I thought they were very well balanced for that :msp_laugh:

For me they do, but I am almost 6'2" tall. Another advantage is that the bow doesn't have the height and surface area of a straight bar thus you reduce the probability of pinching when bucking a log.

Yeah, I have always wanted to try a bow saw for that reason and I'm 6'3 so less bending would be real helpful.

Pine sap...yuck!!

I was bucking a 4' fir not too long ago when my oil inlet clogged. By the time I could feel it and see the smoke the sap had already turned to something like pitch on the chain. I used some mix to clean it off, sharpened it, cleaned the oil inlet off, and went back to it. It took 10 hours of work to get that fir on to the landing. Never mess with pine without gloves, the bark alone likes to give you splinters. Well, honestly, splinters are unavoidable working with large pines and firs. Enjoy.

Don't forget logging often takes place on the side of a mountain, sometimes in compete crap weather, not in your front yard.

Right along with the saw briars, rolling rocks, bugs, snow, rain, mud, heat, cold, saws that wont start, skidder drivers that dont show for work, the list is endless sometimes. But i love it.:tongue2:

Diet Pepsi, hand sanitizer, WD 40, Margerine, PAM, butter, chicken grease, jungle juice, Crisco, hand lotions, anything greasy will take pitch off skin.

I would rather use the food products than gas, WD 40 or Jungle Juice. So fry up a chicken and no napkins for you...:popcorn: Hmmmm, greasy buttery popcorn would be good too. Yummy.

I've very seldon cut any pine. Just one or two. The most pitchy wood I ever cut is probably Maple and Cherry. They get my saw a little sticky, but nothing like these pines are doing to y'alls saws.

The thick undergrowth around here is thew worse part of logging. It's a job I'm glad I got away from full time. Now we only log when we run into a few trees worth logging. If they're in the way of our fence building, and will make a good log, then we'll log em.

Most of the dangerous or risky work I do now is working with the cattle. I weigh close to 300lb and was thrown over a gate last week by an 1800lb bull. :) Flying through the air was a weird experience. Better than being trampled under his feet I suppose.

Was a little hot the other day and I spent the whole day on spurs on a stick, started with the 660 but soon had to be on the 3120 and 880 (thankfully "only" with a 42 inch bar). They might be heavy but anything that reduces my spike time I will do. Another 2 hours cutting and it should be done.

Heavy saws might suck but they get it done!

Last edited:
less is definitely more when working long hours - smallest saw, smallest bar, always a sharp sharp chain (and a few spare to swap out). Hearing protection and gloves. Then put as *little* effort in as possible - let the saw self feed, cut in ways that you dont have to put any effort in. Use the dogs, even hold the throttle with as little effort as possible.

Guys new to the industry tend to overwork themselves, and still somehow seem to get less work done. You'd be surprised at how little effort is needed to get things going right.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back