ok, so I'm not a logger....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my early timber marking days, there was a store that sold fried chicken and the grease from it actually removed the tree marking paint easily from our skin.

There's a certain member who has not chimed in yet, who recommends that people who want to become loggers slam their hands in a pickup door a few times to simulate the work.

Then, to mimic our PNW conditions, I recommend finding a nice mud puddle and do a face plant in it on a cold, windy morning. Get up and yell, "Embrace the weather!" Then wring out your cotton gloves and repeat the pickup door treatment. This ritual is to be performed at the break of dawn or earlier.

If you live in the flat country, find a tall building and lug your saw, gas, shovel, files, extra chain and other necessary stuff up and down the stairs for 6 hours. Then climb in your vehicle and drive two hours--with somebody else who has also done the above and has eaten beans and cabbage.

Make sure the springs are sticking up through the upholstery of your car or pickup.

I'm sure other folks can add more helpful hints.

During my early timber marking days, there was a store that sold fried chicken and the grease from it actually removed the tree marking paint easily from our skin.

There's a certain member who has not chimed in yet, who recommends that people who want to become loggers slam their hands in a pickup door a few times to simulate the work.

Then, to mimic our PNW conditions, I recommend finding a nice mud puddle and do a face plant in it on a cold, windy morning. Get up and yell, "Embrace the weather!" Then wring out your cotton gloves and repeat the pickup door treatment. This ritual is to be performed at the break of dawn or earlier.

If you live in the flat country, find a tall building and lug your saw, gas, shovel, files, extra chain and other necessary stuff up and down the stairs for 6 hours. Then climb in your vehicle and drive two hours--with somebody else who has also done the above and has eaten beans and cabbage.

Make sure the springs are sticking up through the upholstery of your car or pickup.

I'm sure other folks can add more helpful hints.

Good post. But to really get the total logging experience you'd want to do all the above things...while talking on the company radio and the phone at the same time...and ripping up 20 dollar bills. Lots and lots of 20 dollar bills.

"Running a saw is easy. Anybody with a size seventeen neck and a size three hat can run a saw. It's all that other stuff that makes logging a hard job"...a direct quote from a logger that's older than I am. And still logging.

Last edited:
It's also best not to piss off the side rod on you're first day on the landing. You'll be sent down to see the riggin slinger (round trip) about 75 times in one day.

Don't ask me how I know... :laugh:

Gary

less is definitely more when working long hours - smallest saw, smallest bar, always a sharp sharp chain (and a few spare to swap out). Hearing protection and gloves. Then put as *little* effort in as possible - let the saw self feed, cut in ways that you dont have to put any effort in. Use the dogs, even hold the throttle with as little effort as possible.

Guys new to the industry tend to overwork themselves, and still somehow seem to get less work done. You'd be surprised at how little effort is needed to get things going right.

Shaun

So true, so true... I'm not a logger, but as I get older I realize the importance of this statement... "Work smarter, not harder."

LMAO, that's a good one. A few people on here have told me how they wish they could come out West and work in the woods....I think their image of it differs quite a bit from reality.

The thick undergrowth around here is thew worse part of logging. It's a job I'm glad I got away from full time. Now we only log when we run into a few trees worth logging. If they're in the way of our fence building, and will make a good log, then we'll log em.

If you are logging or culling at lower altitudes here, you have to contend with berry brambles. They grow like a hedge does in Europe, with vines the width of your thumbs that are 20' long. Then there's the poison oak...

Spines_on_blackberry.jpg

Wait until you get into a patch of this crap...

Devils Club...

The thorns are small... but you'll be pullin' a gazillion of them out of your flesh.

Gary

Glad i don't have to deal with that. Over here i have to clear a lot of this stuff;
gorse.jpg

If you are wearing ppe it won't stab you but the way gorse grows it drops dry needles... go in your gloves.

LMAO, that's a good one. A few people on here have told me how they wish they could come out West and work in the woods....I think their image of it differs quite a bit from reality.
carful what you wish for.

If you are logging or culling at lower altitudes here, you have to contend with berry brambles. They grow like a hedge does in Europe, with vines the width of your thumbs that are 20' long. Then there's the poison oak...

Spines_on_blackberry.jpg

Those look familiar. :)

The blackberry briars are everywhere here too. Poison Oak and Stingin weed are some more bad stuff. I got into a monster patch of stingin weed while riding my 4-wheeler one time. The trail had gotten overgrown with the stuff and I like to never got out of it. I hate that stuff.
Poison Oak is'nt a problem for me though, I don't catch it. I can jerk it off the trees with my bare hands. :msp_tongue:

:D Yup...

My heart bleeds for you "it is a bit warm" it is a bit cold up here at 32 degrees. No sympathy there.

Good job on the trees. Now you know the rules about pictures:msp_wink:

It's been great weather in your area right now. I'm staying in Ft Pierce right now for work. If I had a saw with me I would have helped you out.

terptine removes pine sap , you got bout enough wood to make a cup of tea ,after you dry it . Ya only forget to wash poison ivy off your hands before going Once

Latest posts

Back