ok you hydro. wizards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASEMASTER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been rebuilding my 22 ton husky splitter (pictures to come) but while changing the fittings at the cylinder I looked into the holes and to my surprise I found that the holes were only 11/32 of an inch and not in the middle. Now I am quite versed in the field of hyd. repairs as this is what I do. the front hole is also partially covered by the end plug . My solution to this is I will disassemble and drill out the holes to as near 1/2" or larger if I can.
Do any of you think this will help in the cycle time and is it worth doing?
To the rest of you with these, you may want to check this on yours as it is quite a restriction.

thanks to anyone that can be of any help.

log splitter

I have been rebuilding my 22 ton husky splitter (pictures to come) but while changing the fittings at the cylinder I looked into the holes and to my surprise I found that the holes were only 11/32 of an inch and not in the middle. Now I am quite versed in the field of hyd. repairs as this is what I do. the front hole is also partially covered by the end plug . My solution to this is I will disassemble and drill out the holes to as near 1/2" or larger if I can.
Do any of you think this will help in the cycle time and is it worth doing?
To the rest of you with these, you may want to check this on yours as it is quite a restriction.

thanks to anyone that can be of any help.

Assuming you are referring to the stuffing box of the cylinder you will most likely weaken both the fitting and the cylinder

If the cylinder was built correctly and assembled correctly it would not be an issue

not a good idea:dizzy::popcorn:

It is not worth the time and or effort as it will cause damage to the cylinder and possibly cause injury or death.

Drilling any fittting or cylinder barrel out is asking for trouble period as it will weaken it and the cylinder hydraulic fitting is the same inside diameter as the female swivel hydraulic fitting.

If you want to improve the cycle time simply change the position of the cylinder and place the barrel end first-a little work and it can be done.

Last edited:
restriction will not change speed as you are running a constant displacement pump.
flow = pump size times rpm. Oil has to go somewhere. same flow.

what it does is add restriction while the oil is moving. creates heat in the circuit. It will also reduce force while the wedge is moving.
Once stalled, the final force will be the same. No flow = no pressure drop = full system pressure at the cylinder.

It will also cause a pressure drop when oil coming out of or into the prot, therefore, in both directions.

anytime oil must be forced through a restriction the energy is converted to heat.

Put a gauge on the pump and see what the no load pressure is to make it move both ways.
If you can carve it out without affecting the cartridge threads it may be worthwhile, but most likely there is nothing you can do about it.

Changing the cylinder around doesn't affect anything. Push or pull changes things, but as long as the cylinder splits in the extend/push direction it doesn't matter whether rod moves or cylinder body moves.

thanks Kevin and Leon

It seems that I was a little hasty in asking my question. After working on the splitter tonight and cleaning up the oil in the fitting bosses ,measuring the 1/2" HOSE ID being 3/8" and the front cap not fitting tight under the front boss and cylinder wall giving much more flow than I had originally thought, I DID NOTHING. thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back