Okay...I admit defeat! Help with a 261!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your headaches have only just begun. I'll pm you my address and you send it soon, before it get's the best of you!

Turn the switch to the on position. Flip the choke on and then off, this will set the throttle at high idle without the choke actually being on. I had a 262XP the other day that was acting up the same way. This might not help at all, but why not give it a shot. Make sure it has a fresh plug of the right size.

Your headaches have only just begun. I'll pm you my address and you send it soon, before it get's the best of you!

Hahaha! Ya, this 261 is a best of burden, but I'm far to stubborn and hell-bent on getting this thing to run. If it still doesn't run after I get all the new parts conceivable to man to make it run....I'll let you have the ba$tard!

Good post. The gasket / diaphragm order of placement (pump side of the carb) is the most common mistake in a carb rebuild.

I'm 99.99% sure I put the carb kit in correctly. I think it's a spark issue now. Gonna take the coil out this Friday, clean her up and make sure it's properly grounded and if nothing happens looks like I'm taking a ride to the shop.....

I'm 99.99% sure I put the carb kit in correctly. I think it's a spark issue now. Gonna take the coil out this Friday, clean her up and make sure it's properly grounded and if nothing happens looks like I'm taking a ride to the shop.....

It's easy to replace a module on those but kinda pricey. It would be nice if you had a good used one to try. You said you tried a different spark plug didn't you?

It's easy to replace a module on those but kinda pricey. It would be nice if you had a good used one to try. You said you tried a different spark plug didn't you?

Ya, they retail at around $60, but I see them on eBay for slighty cheaper. And yes, I put in the spark plug from my 365 which is brand new for $hits and giggles and there was still no spark.

**UPDATE**

Took a ride to the Husky guy up the road today an grabbed a new coil. Got stuff to do tonight, but I had enough time to put it and surprise! The bastard finally started up. I even got her to idle a few times for 30 or so seconds. Tomorrow I have some carb dialing to do I figure and things should be looking up!

PS: Anyone have a guess for a good carb setting for a 261???

Yep. Threw in a new coil, dialed in the carb a tad and she's running now. Still have to fine tune the H and L needles though and then I think it's good to go.

UPDATE #2

Went out this morning and dialed up the carb. Got her running just nice! I don't yet own a tachometer, but I did a few test cut's, adjusted a few times, and I think everything is good. Thanks for the help guys. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back