Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had about 3" and 1/2 " of ice on the fence.:(:(:(
Snow I can deal with and actually enjoy. But keep the ice elsewhere.
Soon I will have wood heat again, after 30 years of not having it. Went and got a stove from Sutherlands. On clearance, along with all the stuff to put it in with.
Wood heat feels so much better.

When it comes to stoves and pipe...

Overkill on the installation allows one to sleep better at night.

Be generous on the chimney pipe!

I plan on triple wall stainless from the ceiling all the way through and out the roof. Haven't bought the pipe yet, but got a kit that has everything to penetrate the ceiling and roof and the cap. Planning on regular stove pipe from stove to ceiling. Also got a nice premade rock/concrete base for stove to sit on, then regular base to screw to the walls behind the stove to protect the walls against too much heat build up.
Sutherland has 3 foot sections of triple wall for $93 each. Lowe's has it for $87 each. Stuffs expensive, but I want it done right. How far above the peak of my house should the chimney go? Was figuring 2-3 feet. How far from the wall should the stove be?

You'll have to check the directions for the clearances-to-combustibles measurements. If it doesn't come w/an owner's manual, look online and you should find it easily. It will tell you better. The newer air-tight stoves have a lot tighter clearances than the old style stoves, especially the 55gal barrel ones... I'd check on the pipe too as a lot of the newer 2-wall pipe is ctually better rated and more effective than the older 3-wall design. Do some homework fist and you might be thankful. There are 2 main Canadian brands that you see in a lot of installations and then a lot of smaller domestic ones. I have dura-vent pipe and it seems to work very well and has held up well, except for the paint on the initial run of pipe is burning off. The first story is painted and the next two are stainless. They're double-wall and going upstairs, when the stove is rocking I can put my hand on the pipe for about 2-5 seconds before it starts getting too hot to keep it there.

My 0.02¢

Hope you southern brothers are doing good just saw, south of here Ice travel safe.
It's not too bad at all around Wichita as I had to go take care of my S.I.L's dog...

Still raining here. Don't think it is getting cold enough to freeze.
You're lucky!!!

We've had about 3" and 1/2 " of ice on the fence.:(:(:(
I have no idea what the moisture total has been here (rain gauge is on the fritz) but we have between 3/8"-5/8" of ice on just about everything... I've heard some good cracks out of my piss elms while I was splitting up some Hedge earlier today and am a bit concerned for my barn...

I plan on triple wall stainless from the ceiling all the way through and out the roof. Haven't bought the pipe yet, but got a kit that has everything to penetrate the ceiling and roof and the cap. Planning on regular stove pipe from stove to ceiling. Also got a nice premade rock/concrete base for stove to sit on, then regular base to screw to the walls behind the stove to protect the walls against too much heat build up.
Sutherland has 3 foot sections of triple wall for $93 each. Lowe's has it for $87 each. Stuffs expensive, but I want it done right. How far above the peak of my house should the chimney go? Was figuring 2-3 feet. How far from the wall should the stove be?
3' above roof peak should draft well.

What stove did you get? The clearances for the stove and minimum flue night will be in the manual. If you go single wall on the stove pipe get the welded seem stuff. The snap together is a lighter gauge and will wear out much quicker. The double wall chimney is better than the triple and smaller in outer diameter if you're working in tighter quarters.

Single wall stove pipe minimum clearance is 18” . Double wall stove pipe is 6". Most class A chimney is 2".

What stove did you get? The clearances for the stove and minimum flue night will be in the manual. If you go single wall on the stove pipe get the welded seem stuff. The snap together is a lighter gauge and will wear out much quicker. The double wall chimney is better than the triple and smaller in outer diameter if you're working in tighter quarters.

Single wall stove pipe minimum clearance is 18” . Double wall stove pipe is 6". Most class A chimney is 2".

Manufacturer is United States Stove Co. Model 1100B. A little smaller than others I've seen, but works for me. Rated to heat 1100 square feet. Which is what my house is. My main purpose is for back up in case power goes down. Which sooner or later it will.
Been reading on the different pipes online. I like the idea of welded seams for the under ceiling pipe. Also like the idea of stainless black double wall inside the house. Ill check around for the upper pipe. Really leaning towards triple wall for that. I'm just more comfortable with that in the attic.

Manufacturer is United States Stove Co. Model 1100B. A little smaller than others I've seen, but works for me. Rated to heat 1100 square feet. Which is what my house is. My main purpose is for back up in case power goes down. Which sooner or later it will.
Been reading on the different pipes online. I like the idea of welded seams for the under ceiling pipe. Also like the idea of stainless black double wall inside the house. Ill check around for the upper pipe. Really leaning towards triple wall for that. I'm just more comfortable with that in the attic.

Triple wall uses air for insulation and double wall uses packed insulation. What I've read is the inner wall will stay warmer on the double helping draft and to keep the nastys from accumulating.

I may have an opportunity to acquire an "off-the-books" 550xp for $300 with a new P&C, Crank, Con-rod and seals due to previous owner's neglect. It was "destroyed" as a factory "warranty" and a new saw was swapped to the previous owner in it's place. Officially it's been destroyed and can never go to another dealer for ANY kind of warranty work. Unofficially it might make a good truck saw for me if I can come up with the funds... We'll see.

Triple wall uses air for insulation and double wall uses packed insulation. What I've read is the inner wall will stay warmer on the double helping draft and to keep the nastys from accumulating.
Them damn engineers just keep changing rules..
First it was double wall awesomeness, then even better, triple wall..
Now they come up with a better insul pack double...
They do this just to torment us.. You know that, right?

Latest posts

Back