Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 more today ?

You're a cruel man Don....:msp_mad:
No... All I got was 6 more... I failed...
Honestly, if someone wanted to cut a year's supply of firewood on one can of gas, this is the saw to use... I figured I'd be smart and cut some big rounds today and burn through another 10 tanks noodling...

Didn't happen... I figure now, you can noodle 16 beautiful square pieces of ash, 8 to 10 times on every tank... That's about 150 nice pieces... She's a real gas saver compared to my other saws... It's now running like I expect a saw to... No more wild fluctuations in rpm's or miss behaving like a young horse.. It runs hard and lugs well... Does that mean the carb has settled in???:msp_confused:

You're a cruel man Don....:msp_mad:
No... All I got was 6 more... I failed...
Honestly, if someone wanted to cut a year's supply of firewood on one can of gas, this is the saw to use... I figured I'd be smart and cut some big rounds today and burn through another 10 tanks noodling...

Didn't happen... I figure now, you can noodle 16 beautiful square pieces of ash, 8 to 10 times on every tank... That's about 150 nice pieces... She's a real gas saver compared to my other saws... It's now running like I expect a saw to... No more wild fluctuations in rpm's or miss behaving like a young horse.. It runs hard and lugs well... Does that mean the carb has settled in???:msp_confused:

Only 6 today? Nice and warm for cuttin wood, ye. :msp_mellow: :msp_wink:

I only have 3-4 tanks through mine. It acted a little squirrelly on the first and fine as could be asked since. Lookin forward to really puttin it to work this Fall...

Got a heavy 20 on it... And yes, there's probably 2.5 cords on the ground... I cut everything right down to 2"... :msp_wink:

Dad and I took out a Locust blow down for a farmer neighbor of mine yesterday. It was blocking his implement shed with his hay rake (and he's cutting hay currently) so we got on it like rabid beavers. All he's got is an old 041AV (which I'm trying to talk him out of). Ran the 261 and the Dolkita... I do like the 261 and it's a solid saw, but I do miss my 346. The Stihl runs ok, but that 346 just pulled like a freight train (for it's size) and had a lot more top end. It didn't lug as quickly... I think a modded muffler and re-tuned carb might do it wonders.:msp_confused:

I see what Matt means about running the 7900 no matter what he's cutting. That Dolkita is growing on me. It is a bit rough around the edges (it started out life as a rental saw and I don't think that ANYONE knew how to clean it properly as routine maintenance) but cuts pretty well. It is balanced VERY well and pulls harder than the 039 did, but it has less bottom end, to the point that it's either near peak, or stalling out, with no middle ground. I haven't checked the compression yet but I'm thinking it's in the 140"s judging by the starting effort required and the fact that it has died a couple time when the chain stalled out. Hopefully I will be getting an insurance check soon for the tools I lost in the fire and then there will be a Bailey's order for a 7900 P&C. Then it and the parts will be shipped to Stump, unless Matt or someone else has the time to come do an "in house" tutorial on a P&C swap. I'm sure I could do it, but with $$$ being tight, I want to have it done once correctly. I also believe it's lacking compression, because after filing the chain with the Granberg and ensuring the rakers were set correctly, it got a bit grabby in the cut and would stall the chain easily if you leaned on it at all...:help:

Only 6 today? Nice and warm for cuttin wood, ye. :msp_mellow: :msp_wink:

I only have 3-4 tanks through mine. It acted a little squirrelly on the first and fine as could be asked since. Lookin forward to really puttin it to work this Fall...

Send it on over... I'll give it back this October...:hmm3grin2orange:

Dad and I took out a Locust blow down for a farmer neighbor of mine yesterday. It was blocking his implement shed with his hay rake (and he's cutting hay currently) so we got on it like rabid beavers. All he's got is an old 041AV (which I'm trying to talk him out of). Ran the 261 and the Dolkita... I do like the 261 and it's a solid saw, but I do miss my 346. The Stihl runs ok, but that 346 just pulled like a freight train (for it's size) and had a lot more top end. It didn't lug as quickly... I think a modded muffler and re-tuned carb might do it wonders.:msp_confused:

I see what Matt means about running the 7900 no matter what he's cutting. That Dolkita is growing on me. It is a bit rough around the edges (it started out life as a rental saw and I don't think that ANYONE knew how to clean it properly as routine maintenance) but cuts pretty well. It is balanced VERY well and pulls harder than the 039 did, but it has less bottom end, to the point that it's either near peak, or stalling out, with no middle ground. I haven't checked the compression yet but I'm thinking it's in the 140"s judging by the starting effort required and the fact that it has died a couple time when the chain stalled out. Hopefully I will be getting an insurance check soon for the tools I lost in the fire and then there will be a Bailey's order for a 7900 P&C. Then it and the parts will be shipped to Stump, unless Matt or someone else has the time to come do an "in house" tutorial on a P&C swap. I'm sure I could do it, but with $$$ being tight, I want to have it done once correctly. I also believe it's lacking compression, because after filing the chain with the Granberg and ensuring the rakers were set correctly, it got a bit grabby in the cut and would stall the chain easily if you leaned on it at all...:help:

Try giving that makita a little more fuel from the high jet... It may be getting a bit warm. It should have some torque...
:rock:

I can understand missing that 346, I wont ever be without one. :msp_wink:

Send the kita to Stumpy and he'll make it PULL! :rock:

Some pics from this weekend...

attachment.php

Took out 6 of these nasty buggers.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back