Ol' Timer Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went to cut firewood with my father today up in SW Virginia. Small town tucked in the middle of the mountains. Beautiful land for miles and no one is in a hurry. Not much work to do there or I'd move. If your folks didn't leave you a bunch of land and some cows to tend you'd have a hard time making it there. A real simple place but rich in the important ways. Good people...
anyway

So my old man decides to take me buy the local ol' timer who piddles with saws at his little shop there in town. Dad warns me that he's a little strange and moody. "Don't like strangers or charity" he says. Hardly chargers anything to work on saws and sharpen chain. Most feel the need to tip him a few extra dollars 'cause he's so cheap. Thats fine he says, just not too much. Ok, got it I say.
Now I've recently gotten into chainsaws, I used to work on cars but that became too much of a money pit I guess. I figure saws are a good alternative. Take up less space and cost less. I like 'em but I don't know a lot and I don't pretend to either. I know I have way more saw than I need or can use. But if your going to do something, go big, right?
So my 288xp had a cracked fuel line and my Dad said let's go see my buddy. He'll love to work on that saw. Small little shop, cinder block building with a wood stove in the corner. 25 or so saws sitting around. Stihl and Huskys mostly. I spot many nice pro model saws just piled and tucked away along the clutter. This place has character for days. I tell him I think she's a leaking and he starts at it. Yep, he says and replaces the bad fuel line. I can tell he's warming up to me 'cause he starts asking about my old 288. He finds out I'm an ex Marine and that helps also. Seems he's a forgotten war Vet. Proud. He likes the saw and we get her fired up. He adjusts the carb by ear and gets it hummin'. Then he pulls out his little gem. A 20 year old 242xp thats been tweaked he says. Let's me fire it up and that thing would sing. Fast reving little monster. Tells me I'm the only other person to pull the trigger on his saw. Said "other men have danced with my wife, but, never used my Husky." I just had to laugh at that. So now I know I've passed the test. He'll work on my stuff anytime my Dad says and grins. So we swap stories and visit for a long while. I get my ms460 out of the truck and he hits the chain and tunes it a little too. Wants to know who I log for. I felt a little stupid telling him were just going to cut some firewood. Anyway, it didn't matter. He knew all along.
What's the point of this little story you may ask...there's not one I guess. I just felt like sharing my little experience today. This ol' timer was a colorful character. I liked very much getting to know him and picking his brain about saws. I'm sure there are many more just like him out there. But sadly I know that his way of life and kind are fading fast. I'm just glad I made a new friend. Good day. :cheers:

Great post. "Forgotten war vet"-Korea, not forgotten by those who remember and honor those men, and the ones from the other wars.

Great Story , How i would love to just slow down and just live the simple life. He reminds me of a ole boy i used to sell furs to when i was a kid. This guy had an old dirt floor garage wood stove in the corner hides streched hangen on the walls . He always had a big wad of redman in his mouth and slober runnin down his chin .:cheers:

Wonderful post ! Had almost the same experience with a felllow that used to come into our shop. One day I asked, "So you flew in a B-17", and the flood gates opened. I felt VERY fortunate, and so should you. Great job ! :clap:

Got a old gentlemen right down from my house like that. He and his wife own a country store and he fixes chaisaws and other small engines in the back. He was a cop for thirty years also cut and hauled pulpwood. He said his frist job was at the wrong end of a 2 man chainsaw in the early 40s . hes got to be in his mid to late 70s. A lot of fun to talk to. Great post!!:clap:

I've run into a few guys like this. It always amazes me the amount of knowledge tucked away in them. Love to get them to open up and then pick their brain for some of that knowledge. They always seem more than happy to share and to have someone that will listen.

Good story of an afternoon and a new friend, Ale. :cheers:
All of us should take the time to get to know any of the old saw mechanics who know the saws from 30-50 years ago... there's still some of 'em around...
btw, today was the 66th anniversary of the surrender of Corregidor... and the subsequent and infamous Bataan Death March... lest we forget...

Last edited:
A 20 year old 242xp thats been tweaked he says. Let's me fire it up and that thing would sing. Fast reving little monster. Tells me I'm the only other person to pull the trigger on his saw. Said "other men have danced with my wife, but, never used my Husky." :

He was a ole, but smart fella indeed :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

It had to surface, huh?

There are some really interesting characters in rural NW NC and SW VA. I have always loved the slower lifestyle of those areas as well. Congrats on finding the new friend / mentor.

Great post,I have been told by many that I spend far too many Saturdays in similar surroundings but the people you meet and strike up conversations with cannot easily be replaced.From the time I was a kid I would spend time with the older men around the saw shops and sawmills out in the countryside and it seemed that I fit in there rather well as they would haul out their treasured objects,be it saws ,tools ,guns boats and outboards etc. I showed an interest and they shared their knowledge
,stories and experiences with me.How could it be any better? Pioneerguy600

That was a great story. I bet there are some little saw shops up here in New England (CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME), but I have yet to find one.

Went to cut firewood with my father today up in SW Virginia. Small town tucked in the middle of the mountains. Beautiful land for miles and no one is in a hurry. Not much work to do there or I'd move. If your folks didn't leave you a bunch of land and some cows to tend you'd have a hard time making it there. A real simple place but rich in the important ways. Good people...
. :cheers:

Nice post and story. Seems like there's always a price too pay for living in a beautiful area. It's the same where I live on the coast. It's not touristy (yet) but is just south of me. Up here, you need to be wealthy (I'm not) or have your fingers in allot of pies. There is no industry to speak of and most of the work is seasonal. Fishing, lobstering, balsam wreaths and blueberrys and some logging are the biggies. That said, it's sort of nice not too be doing the same thing day in day out. In another life, when I was on the road allot, I passed through some of the most gorgeous country I'd ever seen in Appalachia. Same deal. Eastern Kentucky, So. Virginia, West Virginia all the same. Salt of the earth people, getting by but living in a paradise. :cheers:

Back