Ol' Timer Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the cool post

One of the best posts ive seen in a while. nice change of pace.
I agree freindly saw guys are are some of the best to talk too. i always find myself BS'n in the saw shop.

Great Story Ale,
Thanks for sharing, I like talking to Old Timers also. I shoot Sporting Clays every Tuesday with a guy whose 75 years old and its interesting to hear him talk about things that happened 50 years ago.

Great story, It's a shame that those little small shops are being eaten up by the big stores. Reminds me of something that happened to me a couple years ago. I've got an old Dodge 4X4 that I use for a firewood hauler and I was having problems with it, I had replaced parts and worked and worked and worked on it, nothing seemed to help and I was just lost as to what could be wrong with the motor.

I was standing in a little local store one day, talking to a friend about my truck when an really old man I'd never seen stepped up and said "I don't mean to butt into your conversation but I've spent most of my life working on Mopars and I'll guarantee you the timing chain is shot in your truck" I talked to him for a few minutes and thanked him for the info. Put a new timing chain in the truck a few days later - problem solved! Some of those old guys really know their stuff.

Not highjacking the thread, but the Vets were mentioned. I heard a couple weeks ago that there was only a couple WW1 Vets still alive and that our WW2 Vets were dying at the rate of 2,000 a day, boys if you know one, tell him thanks before it's to late, and always respect your elders.

I think you was in my hometown.

If I'm not badly mistaken you were in my neck of the woods. Love to meet you and your Dad sometime.

Nice story.

Reminds me of the time I was working in Richmond, VA. We were installing some equipment on a printing press.

The head pressman, older fellow in a t-shirt and jeans with a long white beard, asked us if we'd like to hear some music while were working. We said sure, that would be nice expecting that he would pull out a radio and tune into some station.

Nope. He stood there and started singing Bluegrass songs to us while we were working. He was GOOD, too. Serenaded us for about half an hour and then it was lunchtime.

I don't remember his name but I'll never forget his kindness.

Ray

That's my kind of people. I guess you already know that when he asked you who you log for, he was paying you one huge compliment.

Since mower season has started, I don't have time around the shop to stand still, and have a decent conversation with anyone. Makes me miss those days two weeks ago when we didn't have any grass yet. Damn chain saw people are a lot more personable than most of the mower customers. I wish we could bring in enough repairs and sales to go handheld equipment only, but the damn mower repairs and parts pay the bills.

Reminds me of the old blacksmith shop when I had my mower shop in Weatherford, OK in the '80s. The old guy could work metal like it was clay. Had a trip hammer, lathe, and other machines that ran from a leather belt that was powered by a long shaft that went the length of the building in the rafters. Had big flat wooden pulleys driving the leather belts. Incredible place. And he was old then so I am sure he is gone now. But I did the same thing, just hung around and talked with him when I could. He had taken the place over from his Dad. All that knowledge lost. Wish we could bottle it to save...

Great story ALE!

That was truly a good experiences for you. I have had many told to me by similar elderly guys. Once they get a good read on you they start to open up a little bit at a time. I have had many talks with these type of fellows, and it's the best.I think we walk away a little wiser and compassionate. When traveling around the province I have heard all sorts of stories, whether it's in the bush hunting, camping trips,or filling the gas tank in some little remote town off the pavement. When you receive good information from these people it makes me think of a line I once read under the obituary of a fellow who seemed to have adapted to a lot of things brought forth in his life.
The saying was something like this.
Able sailors stem from stormy sea's.

Reminds me of the old blacksmith shop when I had my mower shop in Weatherford, OK in the '80s. The old guy could work metal like it was clay. Had a trip hammer, lathe, and other machines that ran from a leather belt that was powered by a long shaft that went the length of the building in the rafters. Had big flat wooden pulleys driving the leather belts. Incredible place. And he was old then so I am sure he is gone now. But I did the same thing, just hung around and talked with him when I could. He had taken the place over from his Dad. All that knowledge lost. Wish we could bottle it to save...

I don`t want to hi jack this thread but what ran the mainshaft,an engine or other source.? I stopped in a mill some 25 yrs. ago to talk with a fellow that ran a water powered mill setup. Mainshaft ran across the mill 3 stories high and he had planers. edgers,a lath mill and shingle mill in there but the real jewel was a vertical stroke single saw blade that just stroked up and down and the center bunk had to be manually changed as the blade advanced along the cut. The carriage was just slides lubricated with tallow. Now that was an interesting machine! Best part was he talked with me awhile and we fell into an easy banter and I related my background with rotary mills and in an hour or so he had me running each piece of machinery to show its function and running condition,spent the rest of the day there 8-9 hrs and I parted company with a lot of knowledge I would not have gained from any book. Pioneerguy600

Great story and it brings back a flood of fond memories from childhood... when there was time in a day to sit by the wood stove and shoot the breeze with the neighbors and such.

Also a good reminder that places like that are still out there... my first off-roading trip to Harlan Co, KY (Evarts) I was blown away by how friendly the local folk were. I don't believe I've ever been made to feel more 'at home' than on that trip. It was almost 'creepy', but it also reminded me of the way things should be in a better world...

Ale, since you passed the "old-timer test", you're AOK in my book, even if you haven't got a MS361 yet :cheers:

Dunno where you call home in NC, but there's a few of us gettin together to saw some wood and pass some time on May 10th... see this thread for more info... http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=65889 and don't mind our Stihlhead banter... you're more than welcome to bring that 288 out to play.

Great post

Reminds me of being a kid is this small town. Our local mechanic was quite old and missing a leg from a Caterpillar accident. He drove a tractor that he had made, and worked in his shop which had been a Ford dealership and gas station in the 20's till the 40's. Had the ceiling power shaft and an acetylene generator in the basement. He taught us how to run all the equipment and how to figure gear ratios and many other skills mostly lost in the mist of time. Lots of kids hung around and on holidays we would have a "feed" as he collected all sort of recipes. He has been gone for nearly 40 years now, but the memories of old John will live forever in my heart. It is a privilege beyond all to have people like those to guide your young years. JR

agreed. awesome story. i love listening to these gents.

my grandfather is same way. grewup on a cowtown riding horses and herding cows in in the late 30's, then got sent to world war 2. said he wanted to be on the submarines, but couldn't fit inside, was too tall(6'5)..so he was assigned to drive the amphibious little cargo ships with the front drop ramps back and forth from the 'ship' to the beach.(these werent the samll ones eveyone sees in movies) was in the pacific...he would tell of how you could fit a tank and men in there and just ride the big waves into the beach, drop them off, then full reverse till past the waves and then turn around for another load....problem was if you turned around too soon, waves would flip your boat over, and if you got 'beached' that was an easy, but long, fix..just turn the props on, kick out all the sand you could, then wait for the water and boats weight to slide it back down a little ways then dig out the sand again till you hit the water...he never saw much combat i think, or he just never tells me about it, but I WILL NEVER FORGET this..when i was about 10 yrs old, real intersted in world war 2 and all the mechanical advances and stuff...mainly cuz ive never experienced it..but we were just sitting there for lunch at his table with my mom and grandma checking out my grandpa's silver coins hes collected throughout ww2...he was telling me about how his shipwas on break as the japanese were going to surrender since we just deoped the atom bomb a couple days before...he said something to the effect of ...we went there...(im thinking japan's harbor for the signing)... to Hiroshima after they droped the bomb...there was nothing left .... im in total shock ...he had never said that nor had oanyone metntioned it before,,,i dont think his friends even knew..and he walked of into the other room to watch tv...i found out later from my mom that that was one of about three times he has ever mentioned that fact and that he has never ever described what he saw when he was there...ive seen pictures and all but to know that what he saw scard him so bad that he couldn't talk about it is almost sacary...

on a different note..ive never meet someone who could work metal or wood like he could...in the late 40's, on a bet!..he built what im told was one of the very first small personnel solid wood boats here near our section of the gulf coast...and i mean he turned his garage into a steamer and kept soaking the sheets of wood to slip the glue then bending the wood to the shape of the boat's hull...then he sold it...

had a middle aged machinst come by one time whod been working since he was 10...got to talking and my grandpa started telling him about all the machine work he did...built a air conditionar cab for his tractor from scatch... a second trailer that gets pulled behind the first hay trailer , but is easier to drive because the wheels follow the exact same track as the wheels on the first trailer.(80 feet long with both also)..and had just built his own new flatbed with a back up camera for hooking up to trailer for his farm truck...
i believe the machinst's comments was"is there anything you haven't built????"..lol

i love my grandpa
jordan
heres some pics of his flatbed he made..last one is the camera...

Last edited:
I don`t want to hi jack this thread but what ran the mainshaft,an engine or other source.? I stopped in a mill some 25 yrs. ago to talk with a fellow that ran a water powered mill setup. Mainshaft ran across the mill 3 stories high and he had planers. edgers,a lath mill and shingle mill in there but the real jewel was a vertical stroke single saw blade that just stroked up and down and the center bunk had to be manually changed as the blade advanced along the cut. The carriage was just slides lubricated with tallow. Now that was an interesting machine! Best part was he talked with me awhile and we fell into an easy banter and I related my background with rotary mills and in an hour or so he had me running each piece of machinery to show its function and running condition,spent the rest of the day there 8-9 hrs and I parted company with a lot of knowledge I would not have gained from any book. Pioneerguy600

Pioneerguy, when he was ready to run something, he would walk over and throw this big open contact spade switch, like in the Frankenstein movies, and sparks would fly off it and this huge 3 phase motor up in the rafters would start the shaft spinning. The whole building would vibrate and dust would fall down. It was wild. I remember that the threshold through the front door was worn down about 3" in the middle, from so many years of people walking through the door. I hope the city saved it as a museum or something. Maybe one day I will pass through again. It was on a side street in downtown Weatherford, Okla.

agreed. awesome story. i love listening to these gents.

my grandfather is same way. grewup on a cowtown riding horses and herding cows in in the late 30's, then got sent to world war 2. said he wanted to be on the submarines, but couldn't fit inside, was too tall(6'5)..so he was assigned to drive the amphibious little cargo ships with the front drop ramps back and forth from the 'ship' to the beach.(these werent the samll ones eveyone sees in movies) was in the pacific...he would tell of how you could fit a tank and men in there and just ride the big waves into the beach, drop them off, then full reverse till past the waves and then turn around for another load....problem was if you turned around too soon, waves would flip your boat over, and if you got 'beached' that was an easy, but long, fix..just turn the props on, kick out all the sand you could, then wait for the water and boats weight to slide it back down a little ways then dig out the sand again till you hit the water...he never saw much combat i think, or he just never tells me about it, but I WILL NEVER FORGET this..when i was about 10 yrs old, real intersted in world war 2 and all the mechanical advances and stuff...mainly cuz ive never experienced it..but we were just sitting there for lunch at his table with my mom and grandma checking out my grandpa's silver coins hes collected throughout ww2...he was telling me about how his shipwas on break as the japanese were going to surrender since we just deoped the atom bomb a couple days before...he said something to the effect of ...we went there...(im thinking japan's harbor for the signing)... to Hiroshima after they droped the bomb...there was nothing left .... im in total shock ...he had never said that nor had oanyone metntioned it before,,,i dont think his friends even knew..and he walked of into the other room to watch tv...i found out later from my mom that that was one of about three times he has ever mentioned that fact and that he has never ever described what he saw when he was there...ive seen pictures and all but to know that what he saw scard him so bad that he couldn't talk about it is almost sacary...

on a different note..ive never meet someone who could work metal or wood like he could...in the late 40's, on a bet!..he built what im told was one of the very first small personnel solid wood boats here near our section of the gulf coast...and i mean he turned his garage into a steamer and kept soaking the sheets of wood to slip the glue then bending the wood to the shape of the boat's hull...then he sold it...

had a middle aged machinst come by one time whod been working since he was 10...got to talking and my grandpa started telling him about all the machine work he did...built a air conditionar cab for his tractor from scatch... a second trailer that gets pulled behind the first hay trailer , but is easier to drive because the wheels follow the exact same track as the wheels on the first trailer.(80 feet long with both also)..and had just built his own new flatbed with a back up camera for hooking up to trailer for his farm truck...
i believe the machinst's comments was"is there anything you haven't built????"..lol

i love my grandpa
jordan
heres some pics of his flatbed he made..last one is the camera...

Awesome post. You are lucky to spend time with him. Enjoy it.
Eddie '79
Sure miss Texas...

Pioneerguy, when he was ready to run something, he would walk over and throw this big open contact spade switch, like in the Frankenstein movies, and sparks would fly off it and this huge 3 phase motor up in the rafters would start the shaft spinning. The whole building would vibrate and dust would fall down. It was wild. I remember that the threshold through the front door was worn down about 3" in the middle, from so many years of people walking through the door. I hope the city saved it as a museum or something. Maybe one day I will pass through again. It was on a side street in downtown Weatherford, Okla.

Yes those big electric motors sure are powerful and steady. I have run many diesel and gas engine mills and worked around big electric powered mills. The water power takes one back to a lost art form where the flow of water was controlled by small dams on a series of lake outfalls and the water requirements for a days running the mill required a man to travel from dams on each lake and open spillways on some and close them on others to build up water reserves and keep up enough water flow at the mill to keep it running . The water wheel was 14' in diameter and 4' wide , each bucket held50 gallons of water and there was 5 of them filled on the down side at a time before the bottom bucket started to empty. If the wheel reached 50 rpm the mill would have literally shook its self to pieces , a diverter gate controlled the amount of water to the wheel and thus the speed of the wheel and the speed of the mainshaft. Belts ran all the machines from the mainshaft with a tensioner that was tightened to run the particular machine required and the others were left slack if not in operation. It did not take a lot of speed but there was a lot of torque available. All that old gear ran on babbit bearings and you kept the oiler cans busy. LOL.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back