Ol' Timer Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ale, great post! Thanks for your service. Semper Fi!!!!
Ex Marine????? Me thinks not!!! Former Marine, yes. Thanks to all vets.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

i found two in CT.

That was a great story. I bet there are some little saw shops up here in New England (CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME), but I have yet to find one.

one is in Stafford CT on 190.he's a husky dealer.

the other is in Brooklyn CT on RT 6.he's a husky,Dolmar,Makita,Jred dealer.

nothing like down south though.i have found some real characters down there in my searches for guns,saws,and old cub cadets.they always went off when they found out i was a transplanted yankee from Michigan and ten minutes later we were best friends.spent hours with those old guys listening to stories.i dearly miss the south.
new englanders can't make buscuits and gravy to save their a$$.

i forgot,there is another guy in Manchester CT.

used to be a dealer,now he just does repairs.my buddy bought an 056 super off him.it was brand new never used for $500.it's an awesome saw.

I have to concur on the great post. I take every opportunity I can to listen when old folks talk. I hope to be one of those old folks one day and I need all the experience I can get.

Anyone heard of the old moonshiner they caught in Tennessee? The town is talking about a riot if they don't release him. I saw him on the news and I bet he has some cool stories.

Older folks have a lot of important things to offer. Generally speaking, they don't get the respect that they deserve, and it's a sad thing. I want to live in a society that respects older people as the rule, and not open to debate.

I had a neighbor that just died this last winter, He started logging back in the cross cut days! Had some great storys. He said that the first chain saw he and his cutting partner bought weighed 100 pounds!!! He said that they thought they really had something, till the snow got 3 feet deep, He said they took that SOB and threw it back in the pick up and got the misery whip back out. He was 86 when he died and still logged a little on his place.
These old guys need to have there storys documented they are so cool.

My Father told me this great old man is not in the best of health as of late...I sure hope he get feeling better 'cause they don't make 'em like him anymore. Getting old....sure is a drag.

My uncle is in his 70s, and I was insulating under his bathroom floor recently - he's not too hot at climbing under floorspaces! We were using the expanded poly foam stuff that comes as sheets, and you cut it to size then wedge it up between the floor beams, makes the place a lot warmer.
Anyway, he was really being slow at cutting this stuff, so I popped my head up throught the hole in the floor and saw him using an ancient, beat-up old sheath knife. "Jesus, use this instead, would you?" I said, and gave him my pocket knife (A SOG-TAC Auto, just sharpened...:chainsaw: ). He took it, said "There's a story behind that old knife, I'll tell you about it later".
So once we had finished, he told me the story. I had only heard vague fragments of it before.
My grandfather was a Doctor. So during the war, he was the doctor for all the battle/supply ships that came into Belfast. If someone was sick on the boat, they would radio through, and arrange to pick him up on the way past Groomsport, a tiny town around 18 miles from Belfast.
He would put on his greatcoat, go to the harbour, and be taken out to the boat, where he would be greeted by the Boatswain in his cabin with a large rum to warm him up, then treat the patient as needed.
One winter's night in foul, stormy weather he was called out. Arrived at the warship soaked to the skin, and went to the Boatswain's cabin. They had the customary large rum, then the patient was lead in - a Polish refugee sailor, who had been acting very oddly and complaining of headaches, poor vision, etc.
Grandad had a look over him and told the Boatswain that the guy had Syphilis, and there was no hope for him - it had got to his brain.
The Boatswain sat the sailor down on his side of the desk and translated this for the sailor.
At which point the sailor pulled a knife from down behind his neck, and lunged across the desk at my Grandfather. Quick as a flash, the Boatswain grabbed the rum bottle and cracked it over the sailor's head, leaving him stone dead. Then calmly as anything, picked up the knife, handed it to my grandfather, and said "You might want to keep that as a souvenir, Maurice".
After which the pair of them sat down and sank another large bottle of rum between them. Apparently the Boatswain had to "Retire to bed early" that night on Doctor's orders, as he appeared to be suffering from some unsteadiness caused by a virus. :D
My grandfather had to be carried to the tender, carried down a rope ladder into it, carried back onto the harbour at Groomsport - and then got on his motorbike and rode home. :D
The body of the sailor was never found by the way - mad dead guy must have jumped overboard or something.:confused:

I was amazed at the history, and the story behind that knife.
A few weeks ago, my Mother said "Oh Howard (my uncle) dropped something over for you, said I was to give it to you next time you called round"...

Yep, it was the knife. Now one of my most treasured possessions - had things turned out differently, had the Boatswain not been so fast reacting, I wouldn't be here today and nor would the rest of my family...

Here's the knife, slightly battered but still good!

Last edited:
A natural bookworm I have probable read 250-300 novals. the first and last stories are pretty good and well written. Good post gets some rep.
Cheers
gregz

Not highjacking the thread, but the Vets were mentioned. I heard a couple weeks ago that there was only a couple WW1 Vets still alive and that our WW2 Vets were dying at the rate of 2,000 a day, boys if you know one, tell him thanks before it's to late, and always respect your elders.

My dad was a bazooka man in the Black Forest of Germany at the close of the war. Would seldom, if ever, speak about it, though. He's still around at 89 but losing it fast, mentally.

By the early '80s there were more Vietnam vets that had died of suicide than were killed in the war (55,000, give or take).

That's a pretty horribly tragic statistic. No aftercare, no counselling, nothing, I guess...

My dad was a bazooka man in the Black Forest of Germany at the close of the war. Would seldom, if ever, speak about it, though. He's still around at 89 but losing it fast, mentally.

By the early '80s there were more Vietnam vets that had died of suicide than were killed in the war (55,000, give or take).

this is a great thread. i'm thankful every day that i've been able to meet and spend time with some many old timers with all of their great stories and knowledge. sure have taught me a lot of stuff in my 24 years..

That's a pretty horribly tragic statistic. No aftercare, no counselling, nothing, I guess...

To give you an example:
1971. After a 12-month tour I got on the "Freedom Bird" (707) at Bien Hoa in the afternoon. We landed for fuel in Osaka, Japan for a couple of hours. Same thing at Anchorage, Alaska. Then on to McGuire AF Base in New Jersey. Got off the plane and onto a bus to the processing station at Ft.Dix at dusk, then processed all through the night. We had medical exams and did paperwork and got paid. They herded us into an auditorium and gave us a lecture on how to collect unemployment money. They then gave us new uniforms and I got a bus ticket to New York City, where I met my parents. Got home and took off the uniform and I was out of the Army. I guess I was one of the vets that DIDN'T run into war protesters that spit on the returning soldiers and called them baby-killers.

From Southeast Asia to Connecticut and out of the Army in something like 40 hours. Counciling? They didn't know the meaning of the word back then.

Latest posts

Back