Old Barko 160

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My old Barko 160a (1973) is in need of a swing motor, working or rebuildable. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe that up to 1985 used the same motor, the B model has a gearbox on the turntable. Mine is just the motor (charlynn 10000 series) with a pinion gear on the bottom.

There used to be a lot of old machines around but scrap was to profitable.

Thanks for looking.

If what you find is a 160B/C with the gearbox swing drive, it can be adapted to the 160A, and I would be interested.

Thank You so much for looking, it is different, mine is much taller. If it is a Sauer Danfoss it might work.

After looking in the manual it looks like this is a planetary drive minus the motor.

you are right, it is a gearbox. it has a splined receiver in the top. sorry I wasted your time jwilly.
this what happens when ya listen to someone who knows less than you do about something.

Not a waste of time, if it had the motor that went on top it would work.

If you can get the numbers off the gearbox I have a someone that may have a motor for it and it will work on my old loader. He has 2 motors that were replaced but they were good, the problem with his loader was the gearbox was bad. He had some bad advice and invested $3,000 in new motors but the same problem, he wound up getting a used gearbox and was back in operation.

Thanks again.

TS, That unit will work on my loader with some mods to the turntable where it mounts. Does the pinion gear have a bolt holding it on? If the gear is removable it might work without mods. Just need to find the right motor for it. Where in MD are you located? PM me with contact info if you want.

Good news. The old motor, which according to several mechanics was junk, got sent to a hydraulic repair shop and they can rebuild it for $450. Much better than $2500 I was quoted for a replacement.

I am still interested in the unit you have. Thanks

TS, That unit will work on my loader with some mods to the turntable where it mounts. Does the pinion gear have a bolt holding it on? If the gear is removable it might work without mods. Just need to find the right motor for it. Where in MD are you located? PM me with contact info if you want.

Good news. The old motor, which according to several mechanics was junk, got sent to a hydraulic repair shop and they can rebuild it for $450. Much better than $2500 I was quoted for a replacement.

I am still interested in the unit you have. Thanks

j, I do not see a bolt on the outside holding that gear on. glad to hear you can have yours fixed, I paid 1850 for a new swing motor for my jonsered loader. i'm in the middle of the Delmarva peninsula, eastern shore of md. if ya decide you want this, we'll come up with sumthin but i'd say it prolly weighs 100# or more. you can pm me when and if ya want any time, we all friends here and I don't think any one is gonna get it any time soon unless its you. jus so ya get fixed up.

With the fixed gear I would have to have the turntable bored out to let the gear pass through. That is the newer style. The pinion on my swing motor comes off the splined shaft and then the motor comes out. I haven't ruled out having it on hand, the gearbox gets you more swing power with a smaller motor.

I live about 1 1/2 hours south of Plattsburgh about 6 miles from exit 26 off I-87. Been to Salisbury once.

Back