Old Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you guys have any science to prove your opinions of gas going bad so quickly? This just seems like totaly obsession like so much of the rest of our sport. No, I don't have any science to offer here either.:)

Before I found this site, I thought nothing of leaving mix in my saw and storing it for months on end when not in use. No you guys have me too scared to keep it around very long.

Do any of you guys have any science to prove your opinions of gas going bad so quickly? This just seems like totaly obsession like so much of the rest of our sport. No, I don't have any science to offer here either.:)

Before I found this site, I thought nothing of leaving mix in my saw and storing it for months on end when not in use. No you guys have me too scared to keep it around very long.

Todays gasoline has so many oxygenators and such to boost the octane if it cycles in the can with exposure to sunlite heating it up and having to be vented off much of the "Good Stuff" flashes off,,,,,

If you keep your fuel can away from sunlight & tighly sealed in an airconditioned/climate controlled room it will last a very long time!!!!:cheers:

I'm refering to straight non ethanol gas,,,, not mix

I wonder if anyone has put gasoline in an old refrigerator...

We put gas in the fridge, bake painted chain saw parts in the oven and clean them in the dishwasher. (I forgot to mention the bearings we put in the freezer.)

The wives sure have to put up with a lot of competition in the kitchen!

Has anyone warmed up their left over pizza on a running chainsaw?

We put gas in the fridge, bake painted chain saw parts in the oven and clean them in the dishwasher. (I forgot to mention the bearings we put in the freezer.)

The wives sure have to put up with a lot of competition in the kitchen!

Has anyone warmed up their left over pizza on a running chainsaw?

No, but I have heated up pizza, burritos, etc. on the manifold of a John Deere skidder.:cheers:

Andy

I think many of the members are overly obsessive about this issue. Obviously though, there are limits. If the gas can seals tight, I would not worry about storing it for 6 months. If it is going to be more than a month or so I will drain the gas out of my saws, start and run out the rest. Do your own research and act accordingly.

i concur with this thought.....the guys on here think too much.

Airport procedure

I would get a 5 gallon can (might as well get some GAS) and head on out there. Find out what system they have. Believe it or not, I can get AVGAS in the middle of the night. Credit card machine. but I had to have training on how to use the thing!!! :dizzy:

If you end up pumping it yourself (remember to ground your aircraft) consider that they use a pump that means business. I don't know the gallons per hour, but yanking the handle results in about 2 1/2 gallons in about 1 second. After that I barely open the valve and let it trickle until full.

I like my blue kerosene can as the 100LL is dyed blue, and mixes up real nice with Bailey's oil (also blue).

Now how to measure your gas when you get home? Simply go get a nice digital fish scale. Hang your favorite saw jug on the hook and reset the scale to zero.
AVGAS weights 6.03 pounds per gallon. Forget the .03 and call it 6 lbs.
transfer until you get your chosen quantity. Nothing to it.

-Pat

Last edited:
Back