Old growth stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutforfun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell about how old a stump may be and if it was cut with a cross cut saw or a motorized saw?

I look at this ugly old cedar stump every day of my life and would like to know a little bit more of the history. I played on it while growing up as a child (family property)and 8 years ago it helped my wife and I decide where to build are home. I put my cp125 wearing a 36" b/c for an idea of the size. It is completely rotten on the inside but the outer layer is still holding strong.

View attachment 280570View attachment 280571View attachment 280572

Last edited:
Sometimes you can see a kerf line or often a slight arc on the backcut if sawn with a crosscut.
I'm guessing by how tall it is, hand felled is a high probability.

It can be tough to tell sometimes.
This stump was burnt twice, it was felled with a 10-10.
trip009.jpg

trip010.jpg

Another piece of evidence is the fact that it had a traditional face, and not a Humboldt -- hard to chop upwards with an ax! Also, you might be able to check in the land records and get an idea of when the land was first logged; I doubt that this cedar would have been skipped over, unless it was highly defective at the time.

my family has owned the property since 1908 or so as far as records go, and as far as i can tell there has not been any logging records kept. i did not go out and look over the stump today i will try this weekend.

Back