Old Homelite question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I am working on getting this Super Wiz running. I filled it with gas and bar oil and noticed the gas leaks into the bar oil(REALLY FAST). I am trying to take the tank apart so I can make a new gasket for it and the screws are really stuck in there. Any secrets on how to get them out, or should I just drill the heads out and use a vice grip on them after I get the tank apart?

Welcome to the exiting world of old saws :) Sometimes the screws will yield to impact.Not a pneumatic impact gun but a manual hammer driven one.The screws are stuck due to a classic example of electrolysis or Galvanic action,if you prefer,due to a steel screw and aluminum cases.When you get them out,by whatever means,coat the new screws with Never-cease or some other anti sieze compound.Try drowning the screws with Wd-40[I buy it by the gallon] then rapping them sharply with a screwdriver and hammer before the impact treatment.You might get lucky.Best of luck.

I haven't pulled one of these apart...but give them a good rinse and flush the tanks out with amonia to get rid of the combustables..and heat them in an oven to about 250f...have a board setup and remove them from the heat and give each screw head a sharp wack with a small hammer and a screwdrive bit sized to the screw head...not a screw driver because the handle absorbs to much of the shock...

The principle is that the ali cases expand quite a bit and crack/break the corrosion gripping the threads.

once the cases have cooled to the point you can handle them...then spray WD40 and they'll twist right out easy as...minimal chance of damging the case threads

Back