old jonsereds 90 -80- or 801?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am from France, I just bought to a friend an old jonsereds. The label is "jonsereds 90" but I think it is not really a 90. The air filter doesn't look like the pictures I've found on the forum.

Yesterday I disassembled the saw , It was very dirt, the joints were breaked the air filter is breaked, but the carburator looks great and the plug was firing. After a good cleaning new joints, new gas and a carburator setting, it does work very well.

The bore is 52 mm.
It has no decompression stuff

Here are the pictures

thank you.
so could you please give me some information about this saw; power; motor volume (in cm3).
It works very well but it looks like there is not enough chain oil, how can I set the oil flow?
Is it possible to get the manual somewhere?

The air filter is in very bad way (not sure about this word), there is only one grid with quite big cell (about 1 mm square) I think it should have a very thin one in the past but I can see only very little bits.
Do you think I can put a foam in it?

thank you for your help.

Last edited:
thank you for your fast answer
The page said the chain oiling is automatique.
There is a screw just right to the bar under the exhaust system : what is it for?

thank you for your fast answer
The page said the chain oiling is automatique.
There is a screw just right to the bar under the exhaust system : what is it for?

Forgot to answer that - sounds like you found the right screw for adjusting the oil flow! :)

The screw just under the muffler is the end of the oil pump but not the adjustment screw. The adjustment screw is on the bottom of the motor case aft of the crankshaft center line. It will look like a large aluminum allen (hex) screw but that is also not the adjuster. Find a small enough flat blade screw driver that will fit through the hex and inside there is the adjustment screw for the chain oiler. Left is more...right is less. Welcome to the site... nice old 80...good saw lots of torque!!!!:cheers:

OK
many thanks
the oiling system was not working so I unscrewed the oil ajuste screw and finally the oil came out.
It is Ok now. the big hex thing is a blocking system, no?
I was not very carefull when i unscrewed it and I don't know in which way it goes, does the flat side goes in and the side with a round hole goes out?

another question : I had difficulties to start it this afternoon, it was flooded. Is there any thing to know to start it (except that I need to get stronger :), my hand is red and painfull)

thanks

OK
many thanks
the oiling system was not working so I unscrewed the oil ajuste screw and finally the oil came out.
It is Ok now. the big hex thing is a blocking system, no?
I was not very carefull when i unscrewed it and I don't know in which way it goes, does the flat side goes in and the side with a round hole goes out?

another question : I had difficulties to start it this afternoon, it was flooded. Is there any thing to know to start it (except that I need to get stronger :), my hand is red and painfull)

thanks

You don't have to remove the hex to adjust. It is only the retainer for the oil adjuster. It goes in with the flat side out.

LOL!! They can be a bear to start. Pull it twice with the choke on, then turn the choke off and pull. Make sure the trigger is locked on high idle. Make sure the switch is on.

Darn it all!!!

:bang:I gotta confess Niko.......I was in error and provided incorrect info to the OP. You were right the adjuster IS by the muffler and NOT on the bottom of the saw. It was early in the morning, I wasn't in the shop and I confused it with the 70E. The 80 is exactly the same as the 621. But it still adjusts the same.

Ok Thanks
"Make sure the trigger is locked on high idle."
CantDog What do you mean by "High" trigger locked The is no locking system on the trigger...

Concerning the hex screw :
it is like that "sectionnal view":

I think the flat side was in before I unscrewed it (it was dirt on the non flat side)... wath do you think?

I'm happy with this new saw, just to fix the air filter and it will be good to run...

thank you

Ahh!!

Just went back and looked at your pics. You are missing the trigger lock. It is located on the clutch side of the rear handle, just above the trigger. There should be a small silver button in that hole. It is rather necessary when cold starting as it holds your throttle part way open and allows more air to mix with the fuel. You will need this part. Fortunately, this part is common to many model Jonsereds. The ones that come to mind are 49SP, 50, 51, 52/52E, 66E, 70E, 80, 801, and 90 and there may well be others. The entire rear upper handle will change as well from these models but you will need to change the linkage from whatever one you have to the 80 throttle linkage.

The hex screw on the oiler definitely goes in flat side out. The non flat side actually is the socket part of a ball socket joint. The ball part being the oil pump adjuster.

Sorry again for the earlier misinformation but the adjustment works the same way.:cheers:

That's right, This part is missing... but I tested it again today and it starts find... (except that it hurts :eek:) I ll se that problem later.

Concerning the oil screw.
I am not sure all the parts are present or not.
at the bottom of the hole I can see a flat washer sealed around the thread. a pin goes in the hole that has a spring in it. the oil pump adjuster screw goes upon this pin. I can't see any part that could be the ball part... I must look closer.

Thanks for all that.

Do you have any idea to fix the air filter : fin grid ? foam?

Last edited:
That's right, This part is missing... but I tested it again today and it starts find... (except that it hurts :eek:) I ll se that problem later.

Concerning the oil screw.
I am not sure all the parts are present or not.
at the bottom of the hole I can see a flat washer sealed around the thread. a pin goes in the hole that has a spring in it. the oil pump adjuster screw goes upon this pin. I can't see any part that could be the ball part... I must look closer.

Thanks for all that.

Do you have any idea to fix the air filter : fin grid ? foam?[/QUOT

OK go to site sponsor chainswr.com

Go to the 621 IPL...you will se that part #$ 504 02 53 00 is the hex part and part # 504 02 52 00 is the adjuster.

The airfilter is what it is (poor)

OK thanks
the air filter is not "like that" the fin grid is missing, there is only a large grid with 1.5 mm holes.
thnaks

well,
I made a second layer of filtering with a fin grid and a fin foam around the large grid that is still present. It works well but I have to check it could be a beat reach, it smokes a bit.

I used it this afternoon to cut a big oak (around 1 m diameter) that was lying for two years, It goes very very well. But it likes fuel. The tank was full and it is now dry for about 30 min working.....gloups

Another problem where I need your help. The starter sometimes doesn't "catch", it is all free. It comes back when I shake it...
Any help to open the starter?
thanks

OK thanks
the air filter is not "like that" the fin grid is missing, there is only a large grid with 1.5 mm holes.
thnaks

My 621 filter has only one screen/grid, but the grid is finer that 1.5mm, and of nylon. It still is coarse by modern standards - I believe the 80 and the 621 use the same filter?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back