Old Poulan 2300av tuning problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In order to access the adjustment screws on this saw, you need to remove the air filter cover 1st. I'm able to tune it correctly at this point, but once the cover goes back on it runs like crap.. The filter is a rather thick foam piece that has been oiled and wrung. I'm wondering if I should just use the filter dry, or just keep fiddling needles and maybe I'll hit on it...

Any suggestions?

Try it dry, a thickly oiled filter will act just like a clogged one. The best way to oil these filters is to wet them with premix and squeeze out excess, the small amount of oil in the premix is enough.
Agreed!
Air filters will make the engine run richer because it restricts air flow. Especially one that is full of oil.

It's not really thickly oiled. I used 10wt air tool oil and squeezed most of it out. Filter is new, so there's no crud on the underside. I don't have any premix, but, if it's anything like gasoline, I wouldn't think the foam would take to kindly to being dunked in it.

I think I'll try the going dry route and report back... Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Back when i had to work on these i learned 2 things. If there is alot if reverb out the carb from a bad reed...they will run like crap with the cover on. Tune them till the run good then go a touch lean on the high side and put the cover on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reverb out the carb? Would lean on the high side be when rpms are near their highest?
No, you dont want to lean it out till they are at their highest , just lean it out a little....like a skotsch :)

Also, you say its a thick piece. Is it actual air filter foam? If you wrung it out, it shouldn't affect it. I use no toil air filter oil with my dirtbikes and the same on my other small engines and chainsaws. Its what one does.
Anyway, what did you do to the carb innards? How'd it look?

Reverb out the carb? Would lean on the high side be when rpms are near their highest?
Reverb is fuel spraying back out the carb throat (reverberation). Reed valve engines will get some by design at high rpms but excessive reverb can mean the reed is bad or dirty and with the cover on...that reverb fills the cavity with fuel mist and makes it run rich.

In 4 strokes you get a similar phenomenon called reversion, or "stand off" where at high rpms with an aggressive cam profile...fuel will bounce back out the carb and seem to hover just off the throat.

Reverb is fuel spraying back out the carb throat (reverberation). Reed valve engines will get some by design at high rpms but excessive reverb can mean the reed is bad or dirty and with the cover on...that reverb fills the cavity with fuel mist and makes it run rich.

Interesting. Thanks for the tech lesson. The fuel actually does indeed '"hover" as you described when I gun the throttle. I don't know how excessive it is, but it definitely is like looking at a mini weather pattern going on.

If I threw the cover back on sans the filter and it still runs like a POS, would that confirm the problem?

Also, you say its a thick piece. Is it actual air filter foam? .... Anyway, what did you do to the carb innards? How'd it look?

Yea, it's got all the signs of being the real deal- green, no too dense. As far as the carb innards, I didn't do anything them, though at some point I may have disassembled it to clean it out.

I always kept a cover for this series that I had drilled an access to the carb screws.

Interesting idea and I actually do have a parts saw I could borrow that piece off of. Might be tricky to get the hole lined up properly to the screws

Interesting. Thanks for the tech lesson. The fuel actually does indeed '"hover" as you described when I gun the throttle. I don't know how excessive it is, but it definitely is like looking at a mini weather pattern going on.

If I threw the cover back on sans the filter and it still runs like a POS, would that confirm the problem?

Yea, it's got all the signs of being the real deal- green, no too dense. As far as the carb innards, I didn't do anything them, though at some point I may have disassembled it to clean it out.

Interesting idea and I actually do have a parts saw I could borrow that piece off of. Might be tricky to get the hole lined up properly to the screws
It could be an indication. Put it over and run it a few seconds at full throttle then look under the lid for accumulation.

Latest posts

Back