Old Saw: McCulloch MAC 10-10 Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SwiftSaw

SwiftSaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Directions under the air filter cover read exactly as follows:

"Fuel Mix: Add 6 oz. McCulloch custom lubricant or 1 PT. S.A.E. 40 (16:1) to 2 U.S. Gal. Regular Gas"

My Questions:

1. Can't I just use Stihl brand (or any other label for that matter) that I mix in my Stihl saw, so long as I get the ratio correct?

2. Is the S.A.E. 40 oil to which the directions refer just regular ol' motor oil???

I just bought the saw with several others over the weekend--the owner was deceased and the son who had the saws didn't know anything about them.

Any other information would be appreciated as well, i.e. websites, etc.

Bruce Hopf

Bruce Hopf

ArboristSite Guru
Directions under the air filter cover read exactly as follows:

"Fuel Mix: Add 6 oz. McCulloch custom lubricant or 1 PT. S.A.E. 40 (16:1) to 2 U.S. Gal. Regular Gas"

My Questions:

1. Can't I just use Stihl brand (or any other label for that matter) that I mix in my Stihl saw, so long as I get the ratio correct?

2. Is the S.A.E. 40 oil to which the directions refer just regular ol' motor oil???

I just bought the saw with several others over the weekend--the owner was deceased and the son who had the saws didn't know anything about them.

Any other information would be appreciated as well, i.e. websites, etc.

You can't get McCulloch oil to mix with gas any more. I Stihl Premium Two- stroks engine oil now. I mix it at 40:1. I switched over 3 years ago, when I ran out of McCulloch oil. I've never had any problems with it. When I mix it I use 250 Mili Litres to 9 Litres of gas, instead of 10 litres, like the directions call for. Sure the saw smokes a little bit more, but you won't risk running too lean this way.
Bruce.

SwiftSaw

SwiftSaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks, guys...

I ran about a half tank through it at 50:1 with my Stihl mix, but I was a little worried about it...Still not sure which way to go, but I'd rather err on the side of caution...Think I'll do the 40:1 and go from there.

I wonder where I can find replacement parts for this saw? I can already see it needs an air filter, or at least I need to blow this one out.

Runs smoothly and starts easy, though...I like it so far...

Last edited:
armagedn

armagedn

ArboristSite Lurker
Stick with 40-1

Parts are still out there just watch e-bay you can usually find regular maintenance items easily.Definately stick with the 40-1 mix they last longer when run as reccomended.