Old saw toughness vs. new saw delicateness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albngore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I realize that weight reduction has played a pivotal role in the composition of modern saws, but does anyone else feel that all the plastic is just too delicate? My old reliable Homelite feels solid, from the casings, to the on/off switch, to the choke mechanism, et cetera.

On the other hand, I just got a 372XP and while it is a real cutting machine, all the plastic parts just look and feel so delicate. The filter cover and the part on which it sits crack easily. And the choke/fast idle pull-out is a cheap piece of plastic that popped out of the carburetor the second day I was cutting. Sure, it was easy to pop it back into the choke mechanism on the carb, but it's just a cheap little plastic knob that merely seems to squish into the metal hole in the carb choke rocker. I guess I am old school, but I just don't like the construction of these new saws. Nevertheless, I have never cut with any saw that screams through wood like the 372XP.

That was my theory as well.
Plastic is lighter than aluminum.
Plastic is cheaper than aluminum.
Plastic is here to stay.

Once you remove all the plastic the saw is similer to the older stuff.
It is fun to fly thru wood with a large saw, isn't it?
It is also fun to go out with a 30+ year old saw and feel the rumble, enjoy the torque and admire the fat chips (if you can see them thru all the smoke)

-Pat

I wonder is someone built a truely lightweight and tough saw out of kevlar fiber and magniseium if anyone would or could buy one. It would be more expensive by about 30%. But would be almost indestructable, ever try and break a Humve.

God Bless,
Brent J Cox

Had a feeling some of you might agree

I'm glad to hear that others are suspicious of all this lightweight plastic too. You know how a fella just likes the feel of good tools in the hand? Maybe even takes a bit of pride in not buying cheap Chinese knockoff tools just because they're cheaper? Well, I wish I had the option to buy a chainsaw that felt like it contained craftmanship as part of its construction.

Thanks all.

I know what you mean about the "coolness" of the old saws. That's why I'm building another 056. I love the old metal. That said, I think that the quality of modern day Stihls and Huskys are just fine. I think if you let your saw beat around in the back of your truck, you'll see wear and tear quicker on a plastic shroud than you would on an old metal one. But take care of the saw, don't store it out in the sun, and I think the newer ones will last every bit as long as their predacessors. I do enjoy the rumble and grunt of the older saws, but if I'm carrying around a 7 hp saw all day, I'd rather carry my 660 than an 056 Mag.

Jeff

Light weight and plastic doesn't always mean junk.. I've seen and run some of the old solid iron saws that were just absolute garbage. Bad design and manufacturing shortcuts are bad news no matter what the basic ingredients are.

My first gas saw was my 038 Stihl Super. It is now 30 years old and has never cracked anywhere. Hope that gives you a little more assurance in plastic. Someone else said it above. If you let it rattle around in the truck I guess you may get a problem. If a tree falls on it or a tractor drives over it yeah its history.

Arnie

I like the old saws, but I have nothing against the plastic on the newer ones - I enjoy carrying a larger saw with less weight...

There is an odd part of our psyche that holds onto truisms longer than they remain true. Many of us grew up on things like "cheap plastic", "Japanese junk", "stainless steel won't hold an edge" etc. Statements that had a basis in fact once upon a time but are no longer true. FYI, The plastic housings on chainsaws are MORE durable than Magnesium. There are lots of old saws around that are in fine shape and some plastic topcovers do crack but overall.... I've owned and run both(a lot) and am absolutely convinced that the plastic saws are tougher.

Yep, the recently purchased MS290 looks and feels like it will melt when abused but our old Homey Zipsaw was built to withstand several run-overs by my truck. If thrown in a vat of acid, the Zipsaw would dilute the acid but come out running and roaring. Yet, the new plastic saw cuts 500% (OK you engineers can post REAL statistic numbers here instead of made-up ones) faster, quieter and more safely. IMHO.

albngore said:
The filter cover and the part on which it sits crack easily.
Have you actually these parts crack?

Are far as the choke rod is concerned, I`d be surprised if it ever pops out again if you re-installed it properly. Sounds like it wasn`t in right from the factory.

Russ

jokers said:
Have you actually these parts crack?

Are far as the choke rod is concerned, I`d be surprised if it ever pops out again if you re-installed it properly. Sounds like it wasn`t in right from the factory.

Russ

A few years ago I traded off a Johnyred 625. Don't know how old it was but it had been through the mill for a logger in Canada before I got it and put a lot of hours on it. The throttle link wouild snap out of the carb linkage real easy. It isn't so much a question of plastic/metal as it is design and wear/tear.

I outgrew the "they don't build em like they used to" syndrome long ago and when I hear it about anything I say "thank God for that!".

Harry K

slowsuki said:
why don't they make pistons and other internal parts that see the most stress out of plastic.

Temperature...

I like the "plastics" also. The stihl pro saws (and probaby the other decent names) use PA66GF, whitch is just a fancy name for Glass fiber reinforced Nylon. They are really tough. Yes, you can crack it, but they take a lot of abuse. Some of the consumer grade saws use straight PA66, not quite as tough or crack resistant. Look inside the covers - usually the type of plastic is stamped (moulded) into the casing.

slowsuki said:
why don't they make pistons and other internal parts that see the most stress out of plastic.
Lakeside is correct---Heat-the material isn't called a thermoplastic for no reason.

cold weater affects plastic as well and friction is anther prolblum i am not saying that plastic is bad just not as good in my mind.i have seen in other situations as well.not just chainsaws.

heavy metal

I liked the metal and cast saws back when we didn't have anything else, they beat a cross cut and an ax, but they beat a lot of men down too and some of them was just plain junk I still have the old mono's and strunks we used, but they conversation pieces that will run. Maybe I could get them to the truck, but not sure about getting them in the truck bed.:cry: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back