Old School

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonseredbred

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any old school tree guys here?

How did I get this chinese elm in the back of this truck only using this truck?

Does anyone still do tree work this way???

Leave a long stem. Lots of wedging when you make the stump cut. Finish the cut without droping the trunk. Raise the bed and back up to the trunk. Chain high on the stem to the top of the bed. Lower the bed and use comealongs to finish the job.
What do I win?
Phil

looks like that is a container truck aka dumpster/ rolls back on the ground flat. they hinged the trunk right in there. truck came and rolled up the container. off you go.

considering how much time it would of took to cut that piece up or to rent a crane. calling the container in may have been the best method in terms of cost and time

good idea, but no.

does anyone remember doing tree work with a winch truck?

This is 1940's technology

there is a 45 ton winch behind the cab, back up to within a couple foot of the butt, notch it, put cable up around top of but and cut it into truck, winch it up around that round bumper and in.

faster than a prentice or crane. My prentice wont lift a butt that heavy.

Long shot guess...

The log length has to be a more than twice the height of the bed to make it go smoothly. It would work if it wasn't but would be a rougher ride. If the log isn't already standing, stand it up: put a rope on one end of the log with two running ends coming off each side of the log. Attach ends to each side of the bed (this is for more stability to stand up the log) Foot the end of the log nearest the truck and pull til it's standing. Requires some finesse not to pull it over too far.

Back the truck up til it's touching the standing log. The rope is still hitched (now on the top) to the standing log. The rope is coming off the log at top center. Run it to a pulley fixed center on the front of the bed just behind the cab. Take the running end back towards the log and go past it. Attach the rope to a fixed object (another vehicle?), the stump or solid tree behind the standing log and truck. Drive the truck forward slowly, the log tips in and is pulled as far into the bed as you want to.

Never went anywhere near doing something like that but figure it would work. A couple of variations of this that I can think of like use two pulleys one on each corner of the bed so the redirect back could be more straight without getting in the way of the log as its pulled into the bed.
-moss

Last edited:
chewed thru it like a beaver,then paid neighborhood kids to hold it up while you pushed it against another tree and gently laid her over.

back in the day i flopped em all rite in the truck.Then drove the bent thing to the dump and had the loader guy hold down the log truck while i dumped it.I really miss that ole 2 ton.

This is 1940's technology

Yup.use to call her granma. 38 ford. many days standin on the front while we manuvered the truck under it.Ahh the good ole days.This was in the earl 90s.

l2edneck said:
back in the day i flopped em all rite in the truck.

You got it !! we still do it. Nothing wakes the nieghbors like big chunks of wood smack'n down from 60'.

I have to build a new body every 2 yrs or so, I figure its well worth it in saved time. If it touches the ground, you lost $$.

that body in pic has 3/8" floor and 1/4" sides really takes alot of abuse well.

Some of the stuff I have put in it would blow thru wood, plus it would lessen the sound effect.

and the body has long enough twin cylinders that it does stand straight up 90 degrees, we can put the body all the way up, cable it and then suck it down slowly with the hydraulics, on really big nasty stuff that would rough the truck up

Last edited:
Seems efficient enough to me. thanks for the old school lesson. the bed looks QUITE rugged too. do you build them yourself or have someone else do it for you?

Silly Jonseredbed, First of all, that is not a chinese elm. Looks more american or siberian. Next, if you feel the need to load and haul that big, I would be like the tow truck driver in the night that backs up to it and raise the bed and winch it up.
Jeff Lovstrom

jefflovstrom said:
if you feel the need to load and haul that big, I would be like the tow truck driver in the night that backs up to it and raise the bed and winch it up.
Jeff Lovstrom

I am lost to what this could possibly mean?

jefflovstrom said:
Silly Jonseredbed, First of all, that is not a chinese elm. Looks more american or siberian.
Jeff Lovstrom

The american elm is long gone in my neck of the woods. the species is being debated on another board. If you are going to argue a tree identification based on a bad photo please at the very least offer your guess as a single guess, not multiple guesses.

Latest posts

Back