Old Stihl 011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battenkiller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an old (25 years) Stihl 011 that I'm not using at the moment. It's in real good shape except for it's leaking bar oil all over the floor when in storage. Otherwise, it probably has less than 50 hours on it.

I'd like to get it tuned up and running for trim work around my property. It has a green safety bar and chain on it now (3/8" Picco-Micro). I'm thinking of going to a full-chisel. Any problems with doing that? What's a good length?

Also, is there anything easy that can perk the thing up a bit?

I have an old Stihl 011 which I purchased around 1978 which I currently don't use and wouldn't run last time I tried. It would run when I sprayed some gas in the spark plug hole. It too leaks bar oil all over my case. Does anyone know how to fix that other than to drain the oil when you put the saw up?
I am a strong fan of sea foam. Put about an ounce in a gal of your gas mix and run it for a while. It is supposed to dissolve the vanish and clean up the engine. Follow the directions on the can of sea foam for a "tune up" of your engine. Figure out some way to get pure sea foam in the gas line and into the carburetor and let it set for about 15 minutes and then crank it. You may have to spray some gas mix in the carburetor to get it to start but once it starts It will run off of the pure sea foam for a while. I would pour enough sea foam in the tank for the saw to pick it up and draw it into the carburetor and then let it set for the 15 minutes. Do not run it for more than a few seconds on the pure sea foam but add gas mix to your tank to dilute the sea foam and then let it run with the gas mix/sea foam. I did this with my Honda lawn mower that I had quit using because it would surge and lose power and it runs perfectly now.
I will try this on my 011 and let you know how it works.
giljack (2 Stihl 051, 1 MS 260 with MS 260 Pro oil pump and 1 011.)

011's are a very nice little 41cc saw, I really like my 011aveq.A very handy light saw for the truck or the yard.
I have a 16" bar (they recommend 12, 14 or 16 inch bars) with a semi chisel chain and it works just fine. Keep your chain sharp, don't overload it and you'll cut all you need.
The oil that comes out during storage is usually just the run off from the bar/chain/clutch area that hasn't been cleaned off before storage!

The oil that comes out during storage is usually just the run off from the bar/chain/clutch area that hasn't been cleaned off before storage!

Not on mine. The whole tank empties in a huge puddle after about a week or so. Tank doesn't look cracked, so I assume it must be inside the oil pump?

Mine too, the whole tank empties in a week. My MS 260 does the same. I just put a new oil pump (used MS 260 Pro pump) on my MS 260. I'll see if it stops the leak. I did notice when I replaced the oil pump that there was a rubber seal where the intake pipe for the pump fit into the feeder opening from the oil tank which looked like it had been compressed and lost its flexibility and sealing ability. Kit didn't come with a new seal so I'll check to see if it still leaks.
giljack (2 Stihl 051, 1 MS 260 with MS 260 Pro oil pump and 1 011.)
Today 04:33 PM

The pico-micro (= lo profile) chains don't come in full-chisel versions. The only options are pro- or safety, with the teeth being semi-chisel only.

Back