Old style 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hope this photo will come through. I needed a smaller saw, and just bought this older 044 on Ebay. Notice the smaller air filter housing, that doesn't protrude behind as far. My question is, am I better off with an older 044 like this, or worse? I recall reading that the older 044s had smaller rod bearings, wrist pins, or something, but the longest bar I woulod normally run would be 25".

Can someone please share any thoughts you might have on older 044s such as this one?

As always, thanks in advance.

That saw can be converted to the HD filter. If the engine is in good condition a 25" bar is no problem. If your serial # is below X 29 382 283, then it has the small wrist pin/rod.

I just picked up one of those....its going to get a few upgrades but, as is, its a very strong saw. I see no problem with a 24in bar.

They also had less power output and a tad less weight (up to 1998/99 or so).....

Thanks everyone for your response. Seems like I remember the weight back then for the 036 was 12.8 pounds, the 044 13.3 pounds, and the 046 14.3 pounds, all with flush cut handles. Am I right?

One more question if I may: What does it take to convert to the HD air filter system, and are the gains worth it?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back