Old vs New Husqvarna and Stihl saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad nails it

I don't, unless we're taking about collectibles. Why would i want to work with an old, slow, heavy tool?

I would love a collectable, or two, or three . . . Or I would like to get my 70E back from brother in law I gave it to, but thats a long time coming.

I love the new stuff. You can buy a rifle that will shoot sub MOA for under $1000. You can buy running shoes that make running on roads pain free. You can look up anything and get a decent answer in just a few minutes. Why would someone choose to work with a heavy unreliable chainsaw. To collect and admire them for their part in the journey, sure. I can't wait for light sabers.

Like all saws new and old but luv old, more Torque throughout the rev range lots more of it, but they had no anti vibe and that is real bad. I had to give up pro cutting 25 years ago due to white finger because of running a lightning for 10 years day in day out sunup to sundown. As regards to weight my saw and sandwitches were the lightest things I lifted all day, the 5 foot logs, fenceposts and crow bar were what tired me out.If I had the money and was doing it professionally I would buy new.

I like the 372 Husqvaqrna 2171 J Reds for work use. We hall a truck load of them around. We have piles of spare parts and for the most part when things go wrong know exactly what it is. Very tried and proven model of saws. When the 385 Husqvarna came out I was the 2nd guy I know of to have one, just had to have one. Man did those first few they made run, but they also mostly all blew up including mine, 2 times for me under warranty. So my thinking is, if there's something new out let them be for a year or so and if you hear good thing buy one. I'm very intrigued by the 562's and whatever the 70cc model will be lately and thinking about trying one, I know some guys running them now and I'll watch for a bit before I have to have one. I've watched the new 372x, 575 and the 2172 and I'm very thankfull my stable is full of carb model 372"s and 2171's

Many old saws sound really really good.
They have special places in our collections........

Once into the 90's saws are stronger and faster for the weight you carry around.
again into the 00's the same thing happened and saws have features that make them easier to operate, no one can say they prefer to adjust chain tension in front rather than on the side (well someone might say it but)

Saws made in the last few years tune themselves and are again more powerful and lighter, so it really is all about what you have and what you like to look at. But people who work with saws all day, want the light weight ones that are strongest and easiest to maintain.

But people who work with saws all day, want the light weight ones that are strongest and easiest to maintain.

Even those of us who don't work with saws all day want this. Why wouldn't you? I like toying with stuff as much as the next person, but when I have work to do, I want my tools to work.

Its all good. I love running old saws. You certainly can find some that have some nuts. Then go pick up a ported 562 with a techlite bar. Nothing like this existed 20 or even 10 years ago. Its so much easier on the body to run this saw than one a couple pounds more and bulkier for a few hours.
I drove up next to a beautiful 68 Camaro the other day. I was giddy thinking about putting my foot into the gas pedal and doing a 1/4 mile burnout and how awesome it would be to own a car like that. Then I thought about how bad the gas mileage was and how horrible it would be in the snow and how much my left leg would hurt from pushing in that clutch all day and how much valve jobs suck. I would much rather drive my turbocharged 4cylinder front wheel drive car year round, even if it already has 200,000 miles on it.

The modern retrofits and better understanding of the operation of an engine has a lot to do with reliability.

For example, if I were in the market for a 68 Camaro, I'd be looking for one with a more modern engine set up. Say, Edelbrock heads (which are made for pump gas) and some other finer parts to keep it a semi daily driver.

If you get one that is an original 68, yes, you're looking at bad gas mileage, as well as having to buy premium gas and add a lead additive, or buy race gas, which is 110 octane leaded.

Very few stations offer race gas, and those that do sell it for over 6.00 a gallon. One near me sells it for 7.65 a gallon.

Part of this debate depends on how far back you go when you think of "old" vs what some of us might refer to as "antique". And there's plenty of gray area there for any of us to arrive at our own definitions. The other factor, as some guys have mentioned already, is how much work do you need to do with them.

If I'm only doing a pick up load of wood, I don't mind taking out a 10-10 or SXL type of saw now and then. But that is more playing/hobby stuff than serious work. When you gotta get it done, I want something newer with all the goodies on it. And the more you run it, the more you can appreciate something like a 562XP. In addition to power and weight, the newer saws from both Husky and Stihl continue to get better in the anti-vibe area. MUCH better. And to the all-day user, smooth is just as important as power and weight.

The only older saws that I run on a somewhat regular basis are my old Jonny's like 70E's and 49SP's. They were ahead of their time when new and don't really feel like old saws to me. And I don't view saws that are only a generation or 2 back, like 254's and 288's as old saws. They are still comtemporary in that their design architecture isn't much different from the new stuff. Mostly the same layout, but not as refined.

Another thing to keep in mind is that everyone in this discussion knows a LOT about chainsaws. Many of the saws you guys run are saws you built yourselves. You don't realize how many times you tweak a carb or whatever because it's no big deal to you. And as saws get older, the need for some of this TLC increases. The average guy running a saw isn't capable of doing these things, so new and less fussy saws have more value to a guy like that.

I'd rather have an 08s than a MS 880, but there's no way I'd take an 041av over a MS 441 R C-M!

Actually I doubt there are many democrats here...

Do democrats not use chain saws where you live? Or are you just one of those closed minded people who think everyone who enjoys the same hobbies/profession as you couldn't possibly think differently than you?

And really why bring politics into a nice discussion about chainsaws? Isn't there enough to argue about re: whether the poulan wildthing is a viable professional saw or not? :chainsaw:

Well, as the last post reflects the thread being drove into the gutter....

IBL...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back