Older 029 (I think) leans out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My father has an older 029, I think........it has the magnesium case, rounded air filter cover, probably a 1980's model saw.

Anyway, it was running around 12k out of the cut and I decided to take it to 13.5k, like my 026 and 361. When I got to around 12.9k, it started bogging, indicating it was leaning out bad. I tried it twice.......he kept the saw running WOT while I adjusted and held the tach........both times it bogged around 12.9k. I ended up tuning it back down to 12k.

Is something wrong with this saw? Is it meant to run at a lower rpm?

Waylan

That's a real good way to destroy your saw. You can't just decide to set a saw to a higher RPM. That's limited by many things in the design of the engine. If you take it higher than what its supposed to be you'll run the saw lean and seize the piston. It's not just a screw that you can turn the RPMs up with. Find the factory spec, set it there and leave it.

My mistake then..........

I was under the impression that most all stihls were good to 13.5k, yet I was surprised it bogged, no load, around 12.9k and thought something else must be wrong with it.

And I was also almost certain that it is an older 029, except it is a pro saw with the magnesium cases. Are there several of the older stihls that are not good for more than about 12k? Thanks in advance.

Waylan

Ok, if it is a 028..........it does look like photos of other 028's, what is the max rpm or other specs for the saw? I would really like to know so we can set it right or find out if something else is wrong with the saw. Thanks for the replies so far.

Waylan

028 was 11,500 to 12,500 super was 12,000 to 13,000

It sounds like you have some issues with your saw. Pull the muffler and look
at the piston first to see if there is any damage yet.

Latest posts

Back