Older chain saws & part availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping a chain saw you like for a longtime finding replacement parts to keep it running can be non existent. Right now the biggest shortage I see is new brakebands and air cleaners. Which can be still affordable if found for certain older models. The problem is how much are you willing to invest into parts. Or are you looking forward to buying up to a $1,000 saw or more in the future. I’m thinking about stocking parts for my older Husqvarna saws from the late 70’s to 80’s just to keep my collection running. New bearings, seals, gaskets, carb kit, air filter, piston/ ring doesn’t cost much to rebuild it now or wait till the compression drops. Sometimes just a ring is needed to restore it. Think ahead now I see even huztl is running out of parts for the older models. Plus seeing the parts are now no longer available online at parts suppliers. Maybe picking up a parts saw is the way to go? I don’t have a Crystal Ball to tell the future but the writing is on the wall. Think ahead now.......

For a saw that cost $700/$800 years ago stocking up with $100 in parts to keep it running is nothing.

I’m 68yo and that’s what I figure now and then running. But I have some monster trees to cut soon.

Some weeks I will be holding a saw for 50 hours then will not cut for a month. In the past I would get most of the wood I could process done in about two months. The older saws have proven the best investment. I have two of every thing I own except I have one 076 and one 075. I just have not needed them lately. I always look for cranks and pistons to just have on hand. Parts are always available for any thing if the price is not a concern. Thanks

Back