Older Stihl bench grinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Dad has a stihl bench grinder from around 1984, don't know the model number of hand but he has it for his tool rental business and as far as I know it still works fine. A couple of questions though:

1. I poked around on Stihl's site and got the impression that the newer models are chain specific, i.e. picco micro, .404 etc? Was this case back then as well?

2. I have an 025 and a ms362, should I be able to sharpen both chains without any modifications?

3. It's been 20+ years since I worked for my Dad but I sharpened 100's of chains back then, I remember being obsessed with techniques to avoid over-heating. What is the best techniques for a grinder? Strange the things you forget with time.

Thanks.

Tom

My Dad has a stihl bench grinder from around 1984, don't know the model number of hand but he has it for his tool rental business and as far as I know it still works fine. A couple of questions though:

1. I poked around on Stihl's site and got the impression that the newer models are chain specific, i.e. picco micro, .404 etc? Was this case back then as well?

2. I have an 025 and a ms362, should I be able to sharpen both chains without any modifications?

3. It's been 20+ years since I worked for my Dad but I sharpened 100's of chains back then, I remember being obsessed with techniques to avoid over-heating. What is the best techniques for a grinder? Strange the things you forget with time.

Thanks.

Tom

1. No, see 2.
2. Wheel it stihl depends on the chain. Go to the mfg site for your chain and look up the specs,
you'll see stuff like "sharpens with a 3/16" round file or 1/8" grinding wheel. "
Oregon has over 30 pages of info
http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/service/maintenance_manual.htm
3. Sharpen often and touch lightly

/edit - and thanks for posting in the chain sharpening forum.

Last edited:
Back