Olympyk 980 Woods Port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, seeing how Oly is Italian, grazie.

I don't know anything about these saws & information is far & few between.

Also, I haven't received shipment, so I'm reading w/Braille.

Thanks again for shedding some light on the subject.

Maybe mine is original in orange & red...

Ciao

Did they come w/red & orange mixed or has someone built this from differing models/years? Do you figure 970/980 on the orange painted case?
The paint and plastic fades with time. Your saw looks just like my 980. 999 is quite a bit different.

Not sure what the 981 was. There have been some minor changes to the intake boot, carb, things like that, otherwise it was basically the same saw, and most parts interchange.

I was watching that listing as well. I have a few 980's. Some better than others. I officially list 2, but I am building my third. I can tell you they run GREAT! I hope you are wrong and it is a 980, not a 970. Either way, I think you got a good price if it is as advertised. I really don't know the protocol here, but I think I am going to sell one of my 980's. I have too many saws, and I have a line on a couple more projects. If I buy more saws without selling a few, I think my wife will burn my shop down! JK, but she does not see the beauty in chainsaws. If you are interested PM me, I have video of it cutting. It DOES have 180 lbs comp.! Again I am not trying to sell it here, just contemplating it. If I do sell it I will give AS members first dibs. It is a great saw...I mean the ignition is Ducati for crying out loud!

Forgot to clarify...That is red oak, approx 14" dia. in the video. It had blown down in a wind storm this spring.

Nice 980 Josh! I'm on dial-up so I'll download and watch the video while I work later. What size bar is that in your pics?

Kevin

Yeah, thanks for the vid-yah. Ye olde Oly ripped right through there, lickety-split.

It's a shame there's no dealers in North America save the lone Canadian, eh?

nicksterdemus, this is my 970 as I got it back in March of 2006. I don't have any recent pics of it but it is basically in the same condition.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It pulls 185psi on what I would figure to be the original piston and rings. When I do run it, it usually wears a 20" bar and I have a 24" bar for it also. I was having troubles starting it lately, but come to find out that the choke wasn't closing properly because of the way the carb manifold (from the air filter) was fitting. As mtngun posted (post #82 in this thread) the new version is designed different and should take care of my problem...whenever I get it ordered. Right now the 044 is my go-to saw between the 2 (both being in the 70cc class). I have 2 brand new 20" chains that I'm saving for a comparison between the 044 and 970. The only minor mod to the 970 is on the inside of the muffler. The 044 has a slightly modded DP muffler cover and I reduced the squish to .023" (970 has a squish of .027" stock). Also the 044 has a Bailey's piston (I rebuilt it on a budget when I got it...if I need to, a Meteor piston will go in it next). I just have to find the time to do the comparison. I don't need 2 70cc saws, so eventually I plan on selling the 970 to help fund a 90cc class saw...but it'll be awhile before that happens...too many financial irons in the fire. I've said it before, the 970 is a pro built saw and a good runner. I envy the 999 owners :).

Kevin

Yeah, thanks for the vid-yah. Ye olde Oly ripped right through there, lickety-split.

It's a shame there's no dealers in North America save the lone Canadian, eh?

Bailey's (or any EFCO dealer) can get parts for your saw.

Your location saws 'Rkinsaw'...I'm guessing 'Arkansas'? If so, whereabouts? I'm in the southwest corner near Texarkana.

Kevin

It is a 20" bar.

My local Efco dealer has gotten me parts for my other Olympyks. He said that everything is still available for them. Oleo-Mac still manufactures the 981, and it is virtually the same saw.

I'm in central Ar, just SW/next door of Little Rock by one county.

Holla at me if you decide to sell the Oly as I seem to be in the matket.

I need another saw like I need another hole in my head, but I bought a Husky 36 and have no need for another small saw.

Glad to know parts are readily available, but it'd still be nice to walk into a shop w/shingle hanging that said Oleo-Mac...

Make me a deal on the 2' bar while you decide on the 970 Kevo...
-------------------------
Before you get too envious:

Properties of Oleo-Mac 999 chainsaw
Weight (without bar and chain) 10.00 kg.
Engine power 6.7 HP
Engine power 5.00 kW
Cylinder displacement 100.90 cc.
----
By comparison it makes my 390XP appear to be a svelte, triple crown candidate, thoroughbred.

Last edited:
I'm in central Ar, just SW/next door of Little Rock by one county.

Holla at me if you decide to sell the Oly as I seem to be in the matket.

I need another saw like I need another hole in my head, but I bought a Husky 36 and have no need for another small saw.

Glad to know parts are readily available, but it'd still be nice to walk into a shop w/shingle hanging that said Oleo-Mac...

Make me a deal on the 2' bar while you decide on the 970 Kevo...
-------------------------
Before you get too envious:

Properties of Oleo-Mac 999F chainsaw
Weight (without bar and chain) 10.00 kg.
Engine power 6.80 HP
Engine power 5.00 kW
Cylinder displacement 100.90 cc.
----
By comparison it makes my 390XP appear to be a svelte, triple crown candidate, thoroughbred.

Good to know there is someone that is interested in my saw that is just down the road a bit. When the time comes, I'd rather sell it in person anyway. I think I'll keep the 24' bar with the 970 and sell together.

I didn't realize the 999F weighed so much. I just didn't think a jump to the 980 would be much different from my 970...I don't know. I would want a saw that would pull a 28" bar in bigger Oak (as strong as my 970 or 044 does with a 20" bar in Oak).

Kevin

Another site lists the 999F as 22lbs PHO 103CC, 5.3 KW/7.1HP.
-------
The Oleo-Mac Professional Chainsaw 981 is powered by a 5.7hp engine, with decompression system for reliable, easy starting, in any conditions. Its steel crankshaft and two-ring piston ensure maximum long-term reliability, while its low fuel consumption rate and large fuel tank (88l) allow up to 40 minutes of operation between fuel stops. Anti-vibration sytem. Bar length 64cm/25". Weighs 6.8kg.
-----------
The Oleo-Mac Professional Chainsaw 971 is powered by a 5.1hp engine, with decompression system for reliable, easy starting, in any conditions. Its steel crankshaft and two-ring piston ensure maximum long-term reliability, while its low fuel consumption rate and large fuel tank (88l) allow up to 40 minutes of operation between fuel stops. Anti-vibration sytem. Bar length 51cm/20"". Weighs 6.6kg.
-------------------

Ya gotta figure the old 980 was about 5 n half when new and the 970 around 4.5 evah so roughly.

They're work saws and like a Dodge a tad plump, underpowered and cheaper as long as you don't trade them in...
----------------
28" bar in oak is 390XP territory. 6.5 HP on 14+lbs PH. A 372 can keep up in smaller wood, yet lacks the muscle in big wood.
I'll give up a slight advantage in HP to the 999 for the 7+lbs of weight savings.

I ain't a young'un anymore.

Let me know when ya get ready to sell the Oly...

Last edited:
The 999 is based on the demolition/concrete saw. In fact, the concrete saw has a much better air filter that Efco would do well to adapt to their chainsaws.

One of the guys on the milling forum is using a 999 concrete saw for milling. It has no provision for oiling the bar, but it is easy enough to add an external oiler to an Alaskan mill. I really admire his industrial size air filter.

Last edited:
In this day of Chiney saws I'm surprised that Oly doesn't try the US market w/their cheaper, but dependable no thrills saws.

Maybe the EPA regulations come into play.

I'm anxious for mine to come in & want to snag a 2', 3/8" .050 B/C instead of the .058. Trying to keep all chains the same if/when possible.

I understand that the Jonsered mount with the 10.0mm opening & a large Homelite mount will fit.

I don't guess the Homey super XL AO would be the large mount, or would it?

Oly was just one several names Efco has used over the years. Efco saws are readily available in the US. Baileys sells them.

I can't remember the Efco bar mount pattern off the top of my head, but the Baileys bar selector will point you in the right direction.

Thank you sir.

What's the difference between Oleo-Mac and Efco?

Is Efco a US only version? I realize everything goes through/comes from EMAK I'm just trying to connect the dots...
----------------
Ha,Ha,ha the jokes on me. The only 70 sumpthin' model they show is a 271.

No 970/971 or 980/981 though they do show the 999 & 7700 & 8500.

Are those last two a continuation of the 97X & 98X models?..
-----
Oops, never mind as those are poulan branded models?

•Olympyk (OLEO-MAC) 250, 250A, 251, 252, 254, 260, 261, 264, 272, 280, 284, 355, 460A SUPER, 461, 480A SUPER, 481, 482 POULAN/POULAN PRO 6900, 7700, 8500

On the + side I have a 20" B/C for the old Homey

•Homelite 35SL, 330, 350, 360, 400, 410, 450, 460, 540, 550, 650, 700, 800, 825, 850, 900, 922, 923, 925, SUPER XL 925, SUPER XL, SUPER XL-AO, V955, XL-12, XL-15, XL400, XL700 Series, XL800 Series, XL900 Series
----------------
That's right Mntgun I had forgotten about the JD models.

•John Deere CS71, CS81

Last edited:
I did a little more snoopin' 'round on the Olys.

970-71CC-3.8KW/5.095hp

980-81CC-4.2KW/5.63hp

Just a hair over 1/2 a horse for 10 extra CCs, yet 10CC over 71 represents over 14% increase in volume.

Must use the same carb.

I figured there'd be closer to 7/10-3/4 horsepower difference between them...

Latest posts

Back