On The Way Home............short story of admiration.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah.Sorry to degrade this nice thread, those fingers could get you shot in a couple of neighborhoods near where I live.I like the attitude, though, I'll be your homey.

[threadhijack]

That's hilarious!! I never associated that with gang activity... Only good ol fashioned rockin out :rock:

I think those neighborhoods needs to revisit the 80's! :hmm3grin2orange:

[/threadhijack]

thats nice to see for sure ,that generation isnt like todays in so many ways .its almost like they are aliens stuck in a world that forgot them.you lived by your hands ,slow and steady wins the race they didnt wait around for a handout they knew either they were going to have to do it or it wont ever get done.its a nice reminder to see a relic of olden days were honesty was the best policy ,a handshake was your word and if someone need help you dropped what you were doing and rolled your sleeves up ,not becuase you would benefit but becuase it was the right thing to do and another person needed your help.some of my best memeries as a kid were listening to my grandpa and how in the 20's he would get firewood down in the gully with a team of horses .. his fishing adventures catching boney suckers in the crickbed ..eating doctored up livestock feed so their family could survive through the depression. today everyone is in a huge hurry in a fight to collect more "stuff" that they dont want,only to impress people that they dont like

Props to you bro...!

One of the reasons I love this site is the real life stories about real people. I would like to think I would have done the same thing.;)

:cheers:

Glad I posted it. Glad you guys are in the same mind-set as me about the experiance. I was a little hesitant that it was going to come across silly.
There's still a few more piles of wood on his property along that road. I'm gonna keep an eye out for him on my commute's home for now on. Looks like the 346 is staying in the truck for awhile :)

Not silly at all. Good story.

Kevin

My wife often teases me about how much I prefer talking to people 50+ years my senior than I do people of my own generation. She's often had to wait impatiently for me to finish conversing with/listening to some octagenarian I met in a store or just walking down the street. I don't know for sure if it's age or generational but they always have something to say and they can say it in sentences of greater than 7 words and never use "like" or "ya know". It can make my day to get the kind of oppourtunity that the OP did. Glad to learn (amongst other commonalities with my fellow AS members) that I'm not alone.

I am exactly like you strongback.

My wife used to say. Why do you have to talk to those old men for?? She finally got the idea and now only says "you have been talking to some old men again". Hahahaha!!

My wife often teases me about how much I prefer talking to people 50+ years my senior than I do people of my own generation. She's often had to wait impatiently for me to finish conversing with/listening to some octagenarian I met in a store or just walking down the street. I don't know for sure if it's age or generational but they always have something to say and they can say it in sentences of greater than 7 words and never use "like" or "ya know". It can make my day to get the kind of oppourtunity that the OP did. Glad to learn (amongst other commonalities with my fellow AS members) that I'm not alone.

Much the same with me too. My mom is from a culture that has a lot of outward respect for the elderly (Poland) - and my dad was the town barber for a while and got to know the old timers. Kind of rubbed off on me.

Aside from a wild streak, I always felt like I was in my mid-thirties as a teenager. And now that I'm lurching toward 40, I find myself identifying more with the values of them that were hardened as kids by the Depression and then heeded the call to duty after Pearl Harbor.

It's only recently that some of these folks have begun talking about their experiences.

There's one guy I know who was in the Mighty 8th Airforce. I can be assured of a good story anytime he looks both ways to make sure we aren't in mixed company. Tells me the same story every time, but its still funny. About what to do when nature calls when you're thousands of feet up on a mission - and the logistics involved in navigating 4" of skin through 5" of padding. :laugh:

Last edited:
This story made my day. Thanks so much for posting it. Like many of you, I've always been drawn to older people for conversation. I just realized that this goes all the way back to my very early childhood. Wonder why. It may be a two-way thing. Older people enjoy it when a much younger person displays in interest in talking to them. The younger person enjoys someone taking obvious delight in being in their company.

People in my family and my wife's family live to be very, very old. My wife's grandmother lived to be 95. My own dad is now 93. He's incredibly active. I drive up in the yard and he's got the big rototiller out, tearing up the ground. He retired from being a college dean at 63 and went to law school. He still practices law from his home office, after retiring from this second career. That's 40 years as an academician and 20 years as a lawyer.His grandfather was a civil war veteran and they hung out a lot in the 1920-1930 era. I love to hear his stories.

Thanks again for thinking of us and posting that story.

Now adays

In a little town in W.Tenn,called trenton,about 4 yrs ago one of the farmers(cotton/beans) had a heart attack right as crops were needing to be reeped.Word got around and next thing you knew there was about 4 million dollars worth of machinery,helpers running them,wifes and girlfreinds to keep em all feed and hydrated....they had his crops done in two days,which would have takin him 2 weeks to do ! Well the local paper sent out someone to get the story.......and no one would give it too him.Just what we do around here,was all anyone would tell him.The guy was happy but not surprized......cause he would do it for ANY of them in a heart beat.America @ her best!!!!!!!!!!:newbie:

The road you chose to travel, has less traffic, and fewer people these days, but it's more interesting along the way.

Looks like you'll have some good company, from what's been posted.

Latest posts

Back