One mans junk, another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has always been a big misconception about the clam shell design. They require alittle more time to take apart and put back together but the design itself is very strong and dependable...

I can tell ya that my shop who is third generation stihl is way more at home working on a 290 over a 361 simply because he doesn't stock mid power professional grade saws, he always stocks a 650 or 660 and a couple of 200t's. In his own words "your welcome to have me order ya a 260 but a 270 will do the same for a-lot less" I know to many here it sounds crazy but it is true. In my area people know 2 names when it comes to equipment, John deere and Stihl and they are also a bunch of tightwads that beleive in taking care of quality without breaking the bank. I remember when I first joined here guys laughing at my 359 while I also owned a 360pro and a couple od 044's I couldn't figure out why and still can't, it never wore out and never made me wish it was faster or had more power. Same goes for the 250, since stihl lowered the price he told me just this morning he's sold over a hundred of them boogers and only had a few back because the owners were new to saws and flooded them out.

where did you get it from???....

Thanks for a great thread

Those compressors aren't hard to get, cost about 4 bucks. That one compressor will do the 290/310 and 390. Can get em at any Stihl dealer though he may have to order it for you..

Nice job there Tommy. Be careful though or you'll have people thinkin that you do this for a livin or sumthin.

Dayummm I hope not, you know how those Stihl dealers are, sorry bunch of critters,LOL

I can tell ya that my shop who is third generation stihl is way more at home working on a 290 over a 361 simply because he doesn't stock mid power professional grade saws, he always stocks a 650 or 660 and a couple of 200t's. In his own words "your welcome to have me order ya a 260 but a 270 will do the same for a-lot less" I know to many here it sounds crazy but it is true. In my area people know 2 names when it comes to equipment, John deere and Stihl and they are also a bunch of tightwads that beleive in taking care of quality without breaking the bank. I remember when I first joined here guys laughing at my 359 while I also owned a 360pro and a couple od 044's I couldn't figure out why and still can't, it never wore out and never made me wish it was faster or had more power. Same goes for the 250, since stihl lowered the price he told me just this morning he's sold over a hundred of them boogers and only had a few back because the owners were new to saws and flooded them out.

I know what your saying. Shoot homeowner type saws probably outsell pro saws 100-1, maybe more. On here we are considered saw buffs so naturally we gotta have the best the makers offer. Average Joe could care less, long as it runs and cuts he's happy..

which compressors is good,i should put another P/C on 023/025,bought one of each of them

You don't need a compressor at all for those models. The bottom of the jug is beveled out. Merely line up your rings up on the piston pins and slip the piston into the jug. The beveled jug makes it real easy on those models...

You don't need a compressor at all for those models. The bottom of the jug is beveled out. Merely line up your rings up on the piston pins and slip the piston into the jug. The beveled jug makes it real easy on those models...

thanks for the info........:yourock:

What about that bar stud removal tool. Is that a Stihl thing, or is it universal to some other brands? Great thread BTW! :cheers:

Kyle

Not really. You can buy a 8mm stud puller/installer at any auto parts store. Some find that puller abit of a pain but for me it works great. The key to using it is use it slowly. Once it gets a grip on the stud keep pressure on it and turn it slowly, no ratcheting, just slow easy complete turning. Mine has never met a stud yet it has slipped on or couldn't remove...

What about that bar stud removal tool. Is that a Stihl thing, or is it universal to some other brands? Great thread BTW! :cheers:

Kyle

Um, why buy a tool that's not needed? I just lock two nuts against each other onto a stud I want to jerk and then put a wrench on the rear nut and back it off until I can get it off with my fingers. And then separate the two nuts and remove them before I get the stud off. Installation is the reverse of removal. Do it all the time.

Is a stud removal tool faster? :confused:

Um, I proofread this before sending, and I see that someone might quote part of it out of context and make a joke ripe with innuendo. You go, girlymen! :D :D

Um, why buy a tool that's not needed? I just lock two nuts against each other onto a stud I want to jerk and then put a wrench on the rear nut and back it off until I can get it off with my fingers. And then separate the two nuts and remove them before I get the stud off. Installation is the reverse of removal. Do it all the time.

Is a stud removal tool faster? :confused:

Um, I proofread this before sending, and I see that someone might quote part of it out of context and make a joke ripe with innuendo. :D :D

I've never tried doing that, sounds like it would take ohhh about 3 minutes or so according to my "cow cool lations",LOLOL

I just lock two nuts against each other onto a stud I want to jerk and then put a wrench on the rear nut and back it off until I can get it off with my fingers. And then separate the two nuts and remove them before I get the stud off.

Ummm....your Freudian slip is showing.

Um, I proofread this before sending, and I see that someone might quote part of it out of context and make a joke ripe with innuendo. You go, girlymen!

You proofread it and sent it anyway?

Ummm....your Freudian slip is showing.

You proofread it and sent it anyway?

edistossiah, Edistossiah, EDISTOSSIAH, EDISTOSSIAH!

The roar of the crowd kneeling before the self-proclaimed king is deafening!
notworthy.gif

Why don't you post some pictures of chain sharpening? :hmm3grin2orange:

A man talented enough to make clamshell work look easy shouldn't have to dirty his hands on a chain.

Besides, Tommy gets the disposable kind.

edistossiah, Edistossiah, EDISTOSSIAH, EDISTOSSIAH!

The roar of the crowd kneeling before the self-proclaimed king is deafening!
notworthy.gif

Double entendre, overly dramatic...if you start busting out the show tunes, I'm going to start worrying.

Why don't you post some pictures of chain sharpening? :hmm3grin2orange:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr may you walk up behind a cow that just ate 50 lbs of green alfalfa hay and she coughs,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

However much I hate sharpening chains I can sharpen a chain,

attachment.php

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr may you walk up behind a cow that just ate 50 lbs of green alfalfa hay and she coughs,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

However much I hate sharpening chains I can sharpen a chain,

attachment.php

They all look sharp when the picture is fuzzy!

Back