One spike or two?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph W Santora

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive climbing set to see if it gives me the willies. I've seen climbing spikes with one or two spikes per leg. Is one better than the other?

Joe

I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive climbing set to see if it gives me the willies. I've seen climbing spikes with one or two spikes per leg. Is one better than the other?

Joe
well... I would avoid "inexpensive" climbing sets, go name brand affordable and definitely not unknown import.
also, sport climging with spurs is a good way to kill healthy trees, so consider looking into DRT/SRT climbing systems, it takes more gear but is better for the trees to some extent, and marginally safer then flip line and spurs.
As for dual vs single spur climbing, all I've ever used was single spur, but it seems that dual spur would be both more stable, but also far more difficult to seat correctly, and really, stability in the spur isn't necessarily a good thing, it by design needs to be able to twist and spin some, a dual spur would likely work against itself dislodging far easier, and therefore slamming you face into bark as you slide down the tree on your face... (not fun BTW)

All this with a grain of salt, as I haven't climbed in several years, and was never very good at it, (to gimpy, fat and lazy lol)

I only use single spur sets and like afore mentioned not for recreational or trimming use. I have a set of bashlins (spelling) I really like. Don't hardly use them anymore.

Latest posts

Back