One thing I'd like to point out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really was planning on dissecting each one of these 'points' that have been made in the past couple days, then I realized it's not going to change anyone's mind and we just have a fundamental difference of opinion. Like I stated before I can understand cutting and burning wood as a hobby, I'll also concede that I can see how for some people in rural areas this makes sense. What I can't concede is that burning wood is a viable option for 95% of the population when gas is so superior in many ways. If you can't see how gas is superior you've already lost the plot and just don't get it.

I really can't stand the elitest attitude some of you have about burning wood.

Hank Hill is that you:)

I really was planning on dissecting each one of these 'points' that have been made in the past couple days, then I realized it's not going to change anyone's mind and we just have a fundamental difference of opinion. Like I stated before I can understand cutting and burning wood as a hobby, I'll also concede that I can see how for some people in rural areas this makes sense. What I can't concede is that burning wood is a viable option for 95% of the population when gas is so superior in many ways. If you can't see how gas is superior you've already lost the plot and just don't get it.

When I started to read your last response I thought hmmmm this guy is getting it....then I read the rest and my conclusion is that your a lost soul&ignorant.
Hey dillweed.....if you can't stand the elitist attitude which you brought on through your own embellished ignorance then just go away and don't let the preverbial door hit you in the azz I mean head ...oh same difference.

I take it as a personal hit for me and the thousands of customers I have that have next to nothing for fuel bills from your uneducated utterances.
I'm not sure what is motovating you ,but what ever it is I am sure that it's misplaced.

Again I'll ask you.....if you pay my gas bill....I'll gladly switch.
So when can I expect that 4 grand to land in my mailbox?
Then how can I re bill you?
Would you like it quartly or analy? ooops....annualy.LMFAO!

Last edited:
I've been called lots of things in my day, but this is a first for both "hippie" and "elitist".

I confess to having an "outlaw attitude", however.

I will get a nice steak dinner pic up tonight for the rest of you.

What I can't concede is that burning wood is a viable option for 95% of the population when gas is so superior in many ways.

you don't have to concede this, because 95% of the population is too fat and lazy to get out there and do the physical work it requires to heat your home with wood.

wood = local, renewable, carbon neutral, and in most cases it's free.

now tell me again how that filthy oil and gas is "superior?" don't leave out the details about the destructive mining process and all the pollution associated with transport and distribution, let alone constructing the necessary infrastructure.

You cant make any more gas, and its more costly... how is that better?

its not elitist its economical.

I've been called lots of things in my day, but this is a first for both "hippie" and "elitist".

I confess to having an "outlaw attitude", however.

I will get a nice steak dinner pic up tonight for the rest of you.

Hippies always been known for making really good steaks....elitists too!
So do you use morrell or payote' mushrooms? LOL

I guess we will all know if ya go missing for a few days and get found naked sing'n on a windmill.

Hippies always been known for making really good steaks....elitists too!
So do you use morrell or payote' mushrooms? LOL

I guess we will all know if ya go missing for a few days and get found naked sing'n on a windmill.

He said he flew up there. I had to fly up and get him down. He's about half crazy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PciMH7nO5wY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PciMH7nO5wY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I liked this thread better when we were talking about food. :(

We were talking about food Woodbooga!
I'm grilling up some more brown trout tonight then in a day or two I want to smoke some Kings with brown sugar for the big weekend.
Talk about food you can stop eating.
I take the salmon and cover the fillet with a 1/2 of brown sugar then add a stick of butter all cut up over the fillet and smoke with mesquit pellets on 275 for about 3 hours.Cool and eat!!!!

Add in some grilled fresh sweet corn and bevies....yehawwww!

Brother Bill is still sittin on that sack of seeds!

I know I'm adding to it but how the hell did this thread which is so obviously just a baited hook get to eight pages?

Have a word with yourself folks, some of you must even be fishermen.

D'Oh.

I think the merits of wood vs. gas is a discussion worth having. Unfortunately the OP came in swinging. Come back FOSSILFACE, with a different screen name and less confrontational attitude and you'll find the people here are quite accomodating.

Last edited:
I think the merits of wood vs. gas is a discussion worth having.

Same here, ones renewable in the fairly short term and the others renewable on the very long term indeed.
I work as a carpenter so know what I can pick up as offcuts from work though:)

Still, it was the stinkiest bait I have seen for a long time.

This guy said he was going to disect all your posts and set you guys straight , what are you all afraid of him give him a chance and lets here what he has to say.

In his initial post he came off like a prick and possibly a troll but there can be some merit to what he has to say if you give him a chance.

There are some very positive reasons for burning fossil fuels , for instance there are the elderly who cannot do the work involved , handicapped, disabled , people who do not have wood resources in proximity or people who cannot afford chainsaws,trucks and other equipment plus they may not have the room for wood storage or the mechanical ability to do this type of work, also some have lot of money and rather spend time doing other things than busting tail cutting and stacking wood.

The only reason I started burning wood was cost of fuel prices just went through the roof and that was my breaking point , 15 years ago when home heating fuel ( # 2 diesel ) was 62 cents a gallon I never thought of burning wood ........it would have cost me more money to cut wood at that time !!

What I have seen in this thread is when one poster attacks another follows ,
and then some start with the name calling because now they feel they have support of their friends so they get real brave and downright nasty....others don't have the stones to say what they may really feel so they distract by talking about food ......geee how diplomatic, playing follow the leader went out in grammer school so if you want to call himout and really feel he is FOS do it one on one with this guy and stand on your own 2 feet when you try it.

This guy has stuff to say so lets hear it , you gave this much into it go a little farther !!

This guy said he was going to disect all your posts and set you guys straight , what are you all afraid of him give him a chance and lets here what he has to say.

In his initial post he came off like a prick and possibly a troll but there can be some merit to what he has to say if you give him a chance.

There are some very positive reasons for burning fossil fuels , for instance there are the elderly who cannot do the work involved , handicapped, disabled , people who do not have wood resources in proximity or people who cannot afford chainsaws,trucks and other equipment plus they may not have the room for wood storage or the mechanical ability to do this type of work, also some have lot of money and rather spend time doing other things than busting tail cutting and stacking wood.

The only reason I started burning wood was cost of fuel prices just went through the roof and that was my breaking point , 15 years ago when home heating fuel ( # 2 diesel ) was 62 cents a gallon I never thought of burning wood ........it would have cost me more money to cut wood at that time !!

and then some start with the name calling because now they feel they have support of their friends so they get real brave and downright nasty....others don't have the stones to say what they may really feel so they distract by talking about food ......geee how diplomatic, playing follow the leader went out in grammer school so if you want to call himout and really feel he is FOS do it one on one with this guy and stand on your own 2 feet when you try it.

This guy has stuff to say so lets hear it , you gave this much into it go a little farther !!

Its got to be said that although currently fossil fuels are the most prevalent producer of carbon dioxide* that they are nothing like the only one, even people produce carbon dioxide so his point about needing fossil fuels in order to grow trees is fairly badly researched.

*Yes I do know about volcanoes blah blah blah.

You forgot the recipes & Laird's picture...the true gems so far of this thread:cry:

I didn't call him names, but he called me a 1800's hippie...I'm a 20th century hippie.

I liked this thread better when we were talking about food. :(

Well bluegill is my favorite fish but crappie is probably a close second. I'm thrilled when I'm able to catch either.

The only time I can catch a large amount of big bluegill is when they're spawning in the spring and I've hardly ever been able to do very good crappie fishing. I do what I've read and others say but the fish just don't seem to want to cooperate. I guess I'll have to ask CrappieKeith for some pointers.

I like my fish fried with corn meal and flour with some fries and home made tarter sauce. A few hush puppies ain't bad with them either.

Back