Only takes 30 seconds to have a saw stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like Hillbillies to me.

I say that in a nice way: my mother's relatives were from the area around the east side of Red lake in MN, but came there by way of Missouri, from Arkansas, from Virginia, from Scotland and N. Ireland. Bought land from a newspaper ad, not knowing it was worthless. Loved it there with the bears, mosquitoes, and 50 below winters, refused to take the federal buyouts and move to Palmer, AK.

Hillbillies, or as they came to be known in N. Mn: "Jackpine savages". The kind that would run you out of the town (ship) for a minor offense, but dam' near kill themselves looking for you if you got lost in the swamps.

Thread started with a rant about losing a saw. I think the original poster has learned his lesson: his new neighbors in the U.P. will notice that he has learned to take care of his stuff, and that's an important step in fitting in amongst the locals. If they are like the "Jackpine savages" they prize self-sufficiency and common sense. Life is hard and successful individuals are careful with their tools.

I moved up here 10 years ago from the east coast. I've had nothing but a great life here. The people certainly seem friendly enough to me. Oh, if ya look hard and get lucky you may land a job here that pays as well as anyplace on the "mainland." It was 23 degrees this morning and I love it. :cheers:

Eyolf, you pegged it perfect.

Jackpine Savages. I think that was actually a Da Yoopers album name IIRC

Don't get me wrong, if anyone was doing anything closely related to aerospace/marine/infrastructure/automotive composite technologies in the Yoop, I would be there. And the universities never have any decent positions open, so unless I go outside my field, I would be on my own financially.

Being from the greater northern half of MN i would have to agree that the small town folk either love or hate each other but they will all pitch in to help with a serious problem as anyone who has had a benefit thrown for a sick member of the family can tell you.

Hi folks, being from elsewhere, I have no idea what is being said here
Are you basically saying it's a rough nut area full of thugs?

Thread started with a rant about losing a saw. I think the original poster has learned his lesson: his new neighbors in the U.P. will notice that he has learned to take care of his stuff, and that's an important step in fitting in amongst the locals. If they are like the "Jackpine savages" they prize self-sufficiency and common sense. Life is hard and successful individuals are careful with their tools.

I'm having a hard time understanding, also. What I've taken from this, and other responses, is that if the locals don't trust you, because you're from "away", and you have personal property unsecured they will most likely take it from you? Is this to "learn ya" a lesson? :confused:

And if he was a local, he would have had someone show up at his house with it saying "I think you dropped this out your truck"

Latest posts

Back