Ooops. I think I might have overloaded my truck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no truck here, but I did drive 15 miles on the freeway with 1/2 cord of c/s seasoned oak . . . in the back of a Volvo station wagon with the rear seats folded down:jawdrop:

LOL
i guess if its seasoned its not so bad
when i load the back of my f150 4x4 up with a real half cord of green wood, the thing sags like crazy

I had an old boat trailer that got converted into a flatbed trailer. It had a 3500# axle on it if it was lucky. Probably rated less than that.

I took it out one day to get a load of *wet* garden top soil mix. This stuff easily weighs in at 1.5 ton per yard, maybe a bit more. I've carried 1.5 yard with this trailer with no problem before, though.

The rock and soil place generally loads you up with either a 1/2 or 1/3 yard loader. I told the guy in the shop I wanted 1.5 yards, so he calls out the kid to load me up. So, I wasn't really paying attention and told the kid I needed 3 scoops. He looks at the trailer, looks at me funny, says "ya sure?". Should've been my first clue.

I say, "yep, load 'er up". The first load goes on no problem. I motion for a second load, and the trailer starts to squat down a bit, and I motion for a third load. Once again he looks at me twice, and I motion to go ahead. Jeez, what was with this kid?

As the load starts dropping, I watch in slow motion as the top of my wheels start to bend in towards the center of the trailer.

Yep - bent axle.... Wheels were now rubbing on the sides of the trailer... It turns out the kid had grabbed the 1 yard loader instead of the 1/2 yard. Guess what? 9000 lbs on a 3500 lb axle - well, the axle loses!

I grabbed a shovel and started shoveling the dirt back out the back of the trailer. Took it a while, but I got most of that last yard out, maybe some of the next. Then I pulled it over to their shop. Between a jack in the middle of the axle, a fork lift, and the weight of several big guys, we were able to somewhat bend the axle back in shape. Then I cut a little of the deck where the one tire was still rubbing, and I was good to go.

The kid really got a cussing out because he grabbed the wrong loader. I felt bad because it was partially my fault. They wouldn't take any money for the 2 or so yards I hauled away, after having bent my trailer.

I used that trailer for several more years before finally selling it for $250 more than I paid for it. I never did try to get more topsoil on it, though!

I've never been overloaded - maybe under-trucked or under-tired, but never overloaded! :D

Here's approx 1 3/4 tons of green red oak on the back of the old Chev, never saw the road like that though. Never let anyone tell ya you can only fit a half cord in a pickup box.

attachment.php

On the LR E tires, that's what's on there, never had trouble with em, but I don't run 80 psi when unloaded - maybe running full pressure when not needed adds to shock loading when bouncing over potholes and contributes to damage?

Me and my father cut about 3/4 of a cord of pinon pine at a time. It weighs about 2850 lbs. and we use a 3/4 ton pickup. It is a 06 chevy pu with 6.0L. Also we've got a metal cage instead of side boards. GM's 6.0L engines do have some balls!

I can't say that we are really over loading the truck. As the truck is stock and with that load in the bed. There is very little suspension squat and when unloaded. The truck does ride really rough!

Latest posts

Back