Oops, broke through top of piston on Stihl MS 180 CB-E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andyshine, do you use the 32:1 also for milling? I have the Stihl 076 and used the 25:1 because it was suggested on the milling forum.

I thought 40:1 was the standard milling ratio. I switched to 40:1 because It seemed everyone was using that ratio. I was milling with 50:1 for over a year with no problems.

Well, I finally have the saw back together. Brand new motor since it cost about the same as replacing all the other parts. The compression is now 140 that is actually higher, it was 130 when it was new, hope that isn't bad news.

However, when the bar and chain is on it still won't idle. Runs fine on full power.
Any suggestions? There weren't any leaks that I could find except from the gas tank out of the little "valve?" on top when the saw is upside down.

Well, I finally have the saw back together. Brand new motor since it cost about the same as replacing all the other parts. The compression is now 140 that is actually higher, it was 130 when it was new, hope that isn't bad news.

However, when the bar and chain is on it still won't idle. Runs fine on full power.
Any suggestions? There weren't any leaks that I could find except from the gas tank out of the little "valve?" on top when the saw is upside down.

adjust your idle speed up some

Andyshine, do you use the 32:1 also for milling? I have the Stihl 076 and used the 25:1 because it was suggested on the milling forum.

I run 40:1 for milling, because that's what my old 3120 asked for, the other saws just got to drink the same mix. Just never changed it. Realistically, you are talking about 2.5% oil with 40:1, 2% at 50:1, 3% at 32:1, and 4% at 25:1. Personally, I'd never mix thicker than 40:1, but what do I know.

I used rope, and plenty of it, and that's what caused the bent rod. Thall proved that you can't bend the rod if using the proper stop, which leaves the piston much closer to TDC. Remember the video he did? He even replicated bending the rod when not using the proper stop, IIRC. In the case of a 170-180-210-230, I will never use rope again.

I used the piston stop baileys sells and it went right through the top of a piston on 2 projects of mine...You may be on to something with the rope(too much rope) But I wont use anything else but rope now....I just don't stuff it as full as i can get it with rope. I just bend the starter rope(5.5) in half and insert it like that and use the minimum amount. If the saw will turn over with a slight hitch with the rope then i know just a little bit more rope should do it. From my experiences piston stops go in at an angle and its just the edge of it that hits the piston and that's too much pressure on the piston in one given spot...to me its retarded tool. Not saying your wrong...in fact we think alike just in a different method. I use clean/new 5.5 starter rope. Just my opinion no offense.

I used the piston stop baileys sells and it went right through the top of a piston on 2 projects of mine...You may be on to something with the rope(too much rope) But I wont use anything else but rope now....I just don't stuff it as full as i can get it with rope. I just bend the starter rope(5.5) in half and insert it like that and use the minimum amount. If the saw will turn over with a slight hitch with the rope then i know just a little bit more rope should do it. From my experiences piston stops go in at an angle and its just the edge of it that hits the piston and that's too much pressure on the piston in one given spot...to me its retarded tool. Not saying your wrong...in fact we think alike just in a different method. I use clean/new 5.5 starter rope. Just my opinion no offense.

Was that the plastic screw in stop? Those are only designed to be used on a few older models. The correct one goes in against the cylinder wall.

Was that the plastic screw in stop? Those are only designed to be used on a few older models. The correct one goes in against the cylinder wall.

Nope just a metal plug....got it like 4-5 yrs ago. What you are describing I've never seen before...could you post a pic of it....i may have to high tail it back to baileys and order one. I'm picky, I cant stand not having the right tool for the job.

Nope just a metal plug....got it like 4-5 yrs ago. What you are describing I've never seen before...could you post a pic of it....i may have to high tail it back to baileys and order one. I'm picky, I cant stand not having the right tool for the job.

Those straight metal screw in piston stops aren't to be used on angled spark plug holes, only in plug holes that are in line direct above the piston. The angled plastic stops are suppose to be used in angled plug holes. Using a straight metal screw in stop in any angled plug hole will almost promise you a busted piston..

I'm interested in what you and snelling are saying...but baileys doesn't show what you are talking about..just the metal piston stop. Is it the "L" shaped thing that you get with the plastic ring compressor? If so, im going tear out my ACL trying to kick my own azz! Just so you all know..i'm not a professional..I'm just a CAD suffering chainsaw enthusiast that never understood what all the extras were in the ring compressor baileys sells.

I'm interested in what you and snelling are saying...but baileys doesn't show what you are talking about..just the metal piston stop. Is it the "L" shaped thing that you get with the plastic ring compressor? If so, im going tear out my ACL trying to kick my own azz! Just so you all know..i'm not a professional..I'm just a CAD suffering chainsaw enthusiast that never understood what all the extras were in the ring compressor baileys sells.

Yup, thats the stop you use in angled plug holes..

Dear lord it is.....Im embarrassed:bang::buttkick::blush:

Why, tant no biggie, alot of folks don't know about piston stops and which ones are used where. Another one of those learn something new everyday deals, be happy...

Why, tant no biggie, alot of folks don't know about piston stops and which ones are used where. Another one of those learn something new everyday deals, be happy...

Why???....I busted a piston out of my efco 152 and stihl 017 because i didnt know what I was doing then scratched my head wondering why there is a hole im my pistons? I see baileys NOW has a proper description of the ring compressor kit on their website. My knee hurts. BTW thall I felt inclined to rep ya just because you didnt make fun of me...lol

Last edited:
Why....I busted a piston out of my efco 152 and stihl 017 because i didnt know what I was doing then scratched my head wondering why there is a hole im my pistons? I see baileys NOW has a proper description of the ring compressor kit on their website. My knee hurts. BTW thall I felt inclined to rep ya just because you didnt make fun of me...lol

Make fun of you, why. What you did is nothing compared to what I see at the shop on a daily basis. If you seen alot of things I see you would soon realize what you did is small potatos. If you knowing used the wrong stop thats one thing, not knowing is completely different. Now that you know don't be posting you broke another piston, I may be watching and yes I would get on your hide then,LOL

Latest posts

Back