Open or closed hyd system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troylee

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Which is better for running a 3 point splitter? Tractor is an IH 784 hydro, 13gpm open system. Believe I am going with a stryker.

Waiting on a call from Stryker........salesman was gonna call the manufacturer...........split-fire.........guess it takes longer than an afternoon to accomplish this!

You will want an open center valve. Your tractor has a fixed displacement pump and open center valves. Using a closed center valve will require the relief to open when the cylinder is not in action and put extra load on the hyd system and cause heat build up.

Which is better for running a 3 point splitter? Tractor is an IH 784 hydro, 13gpm open system. Believe I am going with a stryker.
That splitter will run a LOT faster if you run it off the PTO with it's own pump instead of using the remotes!

You then won't have to run the motor as fast too get good speed and it also cuts down quite bit on noise and fuel usage...

It's worth the extra it cost to get the pump for e PTO, at least it was worth it to me...

BTW, if it has a 13 gal pump, it won't have even close to that GPM at the remotes!

SR

If you are talking about the hydraulic system, also consider whether it will be used on someone else's tractor...do you want to share their dirty fluid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

After talking to my partner (nephew) more about the tractor, have decided to get a self contained unit. Hour meter died at 3500 hrs and he doesn't remember it ever working since they owned it. His dad bought it from a hog farm. We talked about taking the tractor to the timber (15 mile ride) and he didn't think the transmission would like that (heats up and starts whining he says)........that is when i felt my wallet shiver and start crying..........self contained it is!

I think you will like the self contained better. That way you can run it on most tractors. We ran a three point homemade for year's on a 3010 JD and it worked great that tractor had a closed system and lots of GPM and pressure. Had a six inch dia cylinder on that splitter let it on the ground most of the time and rolled the big ones on it and finished them on the small engine splitter we had too.

By self contained, I mean getting away from a 3 point completely. Like my buddy said: If you buy a 3 point, you are going from borrowing a splitter, to borrowing a tractor.........WTF!

Back