"Opening" up an 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
066 muffler mods

hello daveca,
nice pictures, especially the photo of the 066 mag front cover. you can gain more hp by cutting off the lower1/2 of the front of the box inside the muffler. use a cutoff wheel on your dremel or drill a number of holes in the lower half. it looks like the late o66 muffler,if it has a small 3/8 outlet in the side of the muffler. enlarge this hole to 3/4 of a inch. go to little leroys post entitled (move overlittle dog) for a good photo of the mods to the outlet.
ken

How did you seal up the muffler?

Did you use a Permatex high temp exhaust sealant or did you use an fiberglass type gasket?

More mufflers

Thank you KD for the generous advice. You have more experience with saws and 2-strokes than I.
I want to keep the bark down and am happy with a little more power than stock and relieve a little heat. My main concern after saw longevity + a little power, is quiet/quality of saw noise, I'm usually right there when it's running. Just wonderin if large holes will bark too much, you know more about these saws than me.
I'm evaluating my latast mods till I get to know it. I might try the big hole later, easy enough to weld it shut again if it barks too much. It's making all the noise I want now.
While milling I end up breathing the exhaust some. I don't know whether the "closed door" at the end of the mufflers inner box causes increased exhaust gas dilution of the cylinders air/fuel mix and thus reducing NOx or whether the "closed door" is there to cause a heat build-up for after-burning in muffler of unburned hydrocarbons or maybe they just did it to prevent heating of the light weight stock outer muffler half/cover. Maybe it's a combination, got ideas here?
Yah, BigDog has some nice ideas, I recon I got this 'litesaw' idea from some o his posts.

066 m0ds

Hello Dave,
Yes it will make more noise if you enlarge the upper port. also if you cut the bottom out of the box inside, but the power will be better but they are noisy.
I think the box is to heat up the unburned gas and reburn some of it. sort of like a converter but if the bottom is cut out it will run cooler
ken

Hi Dave, I wouldnt worry about noise, just wear hearing protection as any saw owner would, while subscibing to the theory that, "If its too LOUD, your too !@#$%@ Old".
Its nice to know that your saw can be heard 2 miles away, unless your a timber trespasser. Its also equaly sensual to hear a modified saw from a distance.
Gypo

hey gypo - you forgot the non relevant picture - maybe you could post a picture of yourself wearing ear muffs...lol:) :)

hello all,
when i did my 066, i didn't have any info on it, so i winged it. what i did was to completely remove the box, the screen holder, and every bit of extra metal inside the muffler that i figured didn't need to be there. i then polished the exhaust port on the cylinder, and did a little grinding on the muffler and gasket so they matched the exhaust port well. i then welded 2, 1/2 ''x 1 1/2'' lengths of thinwall steel tube, angled forward. one over the existing port, the other on the opposite side, positioned to clear the brake handle. then i went inside and ground the portholes out to match the pipes, cause they are oval shaped to match the forward angle. the saw is only slightly noisier than stock, and has a deeper tone, not that high pitched tinny sound it had when stock. the saw runs awesome. stays cooler, and has more power. well worth the time spent. i did this to the saw brand new. i took one look at that dinky little exhaust port, and said "nope, don't like that", so out comes the die grinders and cut off wheels. what noise? i don't hear no noise!

ahh, thats more like it - nice pic!!

- hey how about the dropstart video of the 088.....:angel:

PS. whats wrong with my "arcky" attitude - lol:p

Last edited:
A sensual noise

Hi Don, I was writing my last post when you posted. I bought a stihl gasket, loaded with graphite because they don't stick. I think it will work well enough atleast till I use a different cover. The High-temp silicone would have been a lot less costly and probably seal better than the gasket.
KD, Thanks again for the info on the port and the muffler. I'll try it later, atleast once.

GL, That means that I've been too old for 30 years now!!! That's how long I've appreciated a quite machine and been wearing hearing protection. I still like some noise now and then. This 066 mod I did sounds about like an stock saw 20 years ago, loud enough when milling. Nice picture, whats on that mountain to the right?

Oak, that's sounds like a wild pipe, got a picture? I fixed the mis-matched muffler and exh-gasket on mine too. I think GL said it's worth about 4 electric HP gain.

Opened er up today

Sure gets louder and seems to have more zest ! Thank you all for the guideance!

Dennis,
I sure hope you can find a way to get some power out of a worthless 066 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay Woodsjunkie DaveCAwill take care of you!

After all he is from CA and we take of all kinds here. I hope Stihl is listening and comes out with an exen better 066. But wait, it is pretty good now. Anything can get better if you throw enough resources at it $$$$.

Back