Opinion- Drop Starting vs Starting On the Ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely start my saws on the ground except this one, never tried to drop
start it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TMy8lu1-Ac0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always just hold the throttle with my right hand and pull the rope with my left, unless its heavier than my 660 then i will drop start em.

I used to drop start any saw I had or worked on, now I've got to have surgery on my left shoulder to repair a rotator. Yeah, keep on drop starting and then tell me about it when you are 50 years old.

I think you would be worse off, rotator-wise, if you were starting them off the ground. I'll let you know in 4 years.

At the start of the day, I just hold them when starting them. When I get fatigued, then I set them on a log or hold them between my legs, or if the ground is level where I'm working I may use the ground method, but I prefer not to.

I figure I've got enough grip in my old mitts from years of hard work to safely drop start any saw I'm working with, the metal parts in my spine agree as well.

Placing your foot through the handle only seems to work if you wear cowboy boots, with really pointy toes.

I start with the 'handle-between-the-knees' method - although, it's more like between the thighs, closer to the crotch. Note: the handle between the knees, not the bar . . . !

Philbert

I start 20-30 saws a day, every one with the tail handle between my thighs. Safest way there is.

Yep, ON the handle is what I said, not in. I know the prescribed method is to place you foot IN the handle but if it won't fit you adapt your method to suit.

And I don't recall ever having a saw where I couldn't get at least the toe of miy boot in. Wear size 11.

I too prefer behind the knee (between the thighs is a poor description) method. Handle goes behind the right leg at or above knee level

Harry K

Different On Ground Starting Method

I realize some may be critical of my technique, but it works well for me. With the brake on, I place my right hand on top of the saw and start with my left. This keeps the saw from lifting off the ground (my foot is too big to stand in the handle). This works well on my bigger saws 066/660, 460. I am guessing this would not work as well with a smaller person.

My hardest start is my Super 1050 (180 lb comp., no comp release). Even with a 36" Bush Champ bar I find it easiest to drop start -- right hand on loop handle, left pulling rope straight out of hole. I am left-handed so I just move the left hand to the trigger as soon as it starts. The key is an energetic and controlled "throw" rather than a simple drop. The bar is horizontal (on its side) and swinging clockwise when I pull the rope. My old back wouldn't take starting it on the ground. When I get to where I can't safely handle my saws I will pass them on to someone who can.

I start 20-30 saws a day, every one with the tail handle between my thighs. Safest way there is.

This man knows how to start saws. I am right handed so my right is the strong arm. The rope gets most leverage on the rotor straight out of the grommet. Tuck the top of the rear handle under the right thigh, hold the top handle with the left, engage the paws first and then give it a big rip (use your right arm and throw your right shoulder to use the back if neccessary). I am 65 and can start any saw this way, safely and controlled. Mike

Rightly or wrongly I tend to drop start everything, except my Homie 1130G. That one seems to want to hurt me no matter what I try.:laugh:

Try starting this one between your legs! :hmm3grin2orange:

LeonardandJohnRiffee030.jpg

I personally put on a stylish multi colored Kevlar body condom, and steel plated helmet, and seek out perfectly level ground before placing the saw down with the Brake on, attach the bar guard with 17 zip ties, lay a log on it, and then tie a 200' rope to the starter handle, back up 198' and start my saw safely from a distance...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Or, as an alternative, you could do what we advised HBRN to do...stand on the log with the tip of the bar jammed into the bark, turn the switch on, and then run like hell down the log keeping pressure on the bar tip the whole way. We're pretty sure he tried it that way, too. :laugh:

And back on topic...I usually drop start, left hand on the starter, right hand on the throttle handle, but toward the end of the day I tend to cheat a little and lay the bar on a log.

How do I start my saws?

Sorry dont mean to post another pointless thread on here but im asking opinions today.
Drop Starting Vs Starting on the ground.
What are your guyses personal preferances? I always hear about how people say dont drop start its very dangerous and all that stuff, and i agree it is very dangerous, But like with my 044, 066, and ms660 I cant start them on the ground! I pull and it just about yanks the saw out of my hands. So thats why im asking what method do you guys use?

Like a man, one hand on the throttle, and the other on the Recoil....

Dang.

This could all be fixed with bacon and butter, except perhaps the "stylish multi colored body condom". No known cure.

Tried the Butter. No worky. Hand slips off the elastostart, and I kept breaking my nose.

Bacon...maybe. Would that shave .0000384 seconds off my cookie cutting times?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For a cold start,I start them on the ground. That's the way I was taught to do, so it just works best for me.

After the saw is warm, I tuck the rear handle under my right thigh and pull with my right arm.

They almost always start with a slight pull when warm.

My drop starting technique works good for me . Grasp recoil in left hand and top handle in right . Raise saw to chest height . hold left hand close to upper chest stationary while dropping , ( or pushing down a lighter saw ) , the right hand towards the ground . This lets gravity do most of the work for you , and there is less stress on the recoil arm , as you are not yanking the rope .

I drop start everything, its the safest thing for me, because thats how I do it 100 times per day for years and I look like an idiot starting any other way.

Drop starting the modded/ported 084:

Sam

Latest posts

Back