Opinion needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebeveridge

Reaction score
I need an opinion has anyone ever used the sport climber tree climbing spikes. I am looking for opinions of these I will be using them 5 or 6 times a year to set tree stands. Would like to buy pro equipment but price is a problem. Or does anyone know of a place to buy used Pro equipment other than ebay.

Why not buy one set of climbing sticks and use those instead. no damage to the tree, and you can just pack them in and out when you hunt each stand. it will also make your stands slightly harder to steal if you take the steps with you. Also, I would get a "linemans belt" setup from HSS or one of the other hunting manufacturers so you will be safe going up and down the tree.

Last edited:
I have seen the climbers that you mention but have haven't seen them sold in years. I thought they stopped making them. I do know a guy with an old pair and he loves them. I have never tried them myself.

I use ladder sticks myself. In late Summer I will go in, clear out my trails so I can get in and out of the woods without making noise or leaving scent and hang my stands. I carry my climbing saddle, a lanyard and climbing rope in with me along with my stands. I just assemble the ladder sticks and belt in with my lanyard as I go up. I do the same thing with screw in steps. Much easier to screw in the steps and set a stand when you can belt in and be hands free to use both hands to work with. When I get to the point where I want to hang my stand I toss my rope through a crotch or over a limb and have someone attach the working end of the rope to my stand on the ground with a carabiner. I can then have them hoist the stand to me and hold it in place while I strap it to the tree. Then I tie into my climbing rope and swing around the tree 360 to inspect the stand. I get into the stand while I am tied in to make sure it is secure and there is no slippage. I'd rather find out for sure that it is secure while I am tied into the tree than in the AM darkness on opening day.

Hope this helps.

I agree with the guys above, use the climbing stix. The other thing is, the last thing you need on a hunting trip, is a gaff hole in your calf. Using spikes take a little practice and you need to over come your natural desire to hug the tree as you go up. You need to keep your butt and upper torso back away from the trunk. That keeps your weight pushing in on the spikes. If the wind blows and rocks the tree, the first thing you'll do is wrap your arms around the tree and hug it. That will make your spikes kick out and you'll wind up sliding down the tree, with gaffs way too close to pumpers. I mean arteries that pump blood fast. Stick with the stix, Joe

Thanks guys. i do use climbing sticks to get into my stands while hunting. i wasjust looking for an easier way to move around the tree while haning stands. I hang about 30 stands in the fall (i hand them for my dad, me, and a few kids who hunt) and anything that makes it easier would be good. I dont know why i never though of using a rope and just swinging around. I used to rock climb and have used SRT to climb trees in the past dont know why i never thought of that. Thank you all for you help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back