Opinions on Brave 20 Ton Dual Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite splitter form factor

• Horizontal/Vertical

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Horizontal only

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Kinetic

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Ash handle with a well hung steel head

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • My Fiskars makes rounds split by just pointing it in their general direction!

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

kingOFgEEEks

Out, standing in my field.
Reaction score
I am thinking about breaking down and getting a hydraulic splitter.

I have used several brands of splitters in the horizontal/vertical form factor, and I haven't liked any of them - I never split vertically, and having the wedge on the ram seems like a compromise to me.

I have looked at several wedge on beam options, and I like them, but I don't understand why it costs so much more for a splitter that appears simpler to fabricate. For example, why is a 20 ton Iron & Oak over $2,000.00, when you can get a 22 ton horizontal/vertical, made in the USA, for the same price or less?

Today I was browsing, and came across the Brave 20 Ton Dual Split http://www.braveproducts.com/logsplitters/brave20tondualsplit.html

This seems like a cool idea to me. Why wait for the return stroke, when you can just place the next round on the beam and split the other way?

Does anybody have any experience with these, or a similar splitter?
Does it look like a well made machine to everyone here?
Is there a good, USA or Canada made wedge on beam splitter that can handle ~24" long wood in the $1,500.00 price range that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh, and a poll for fun. What is your favorite style of splitter? Horizontal/Vertical, Horizontal only, or kinetic?

JMO. I watched the video and it would not appear to speed up splitting time for me. Of course your mileage may vary. I have had my Brave 22 ton H/V splitter for about 11 years now and love it. Just curious as I heard the Iron & Oak/ Brave company was sold, anyone know who bought them? Back when I got mine you could get it with a B&S or for a $100 more the Honda GX (I opted for the Honda). I noticed in the video it now has the cheaper GC.

I am thinking the savings of time is in the re-splitting of rounds, more than the initial split. I like split into 1/4 or 1/6 for a lot of stuff, so that's my point of view.

I am thinking the savings of time is in the re-splitting of rounds, more than the initial split. I like split into 1/4 or 1/6 for a lot of stuff, so that's my point of view.
Very familiar with a 20-ton Dual Split. I own the Northern Tool Powerhouse brand Dual Split with the 206cc Powerhorse (Chinawan) engine...splitter/engine has never missed a beat. Drove out a little over $900 for mine brand new, three years ago. Splitting both directions saves a ton of time with a 7-sec one-way cycle time. Bought a custom 4-way wedge for it...now you talk about a time saver. It'll mound up a big pile of splits in no time.

If you get one, I'll see if I can't dig up the fellas name/address where I bought my 4-way from. Very good price on the 4-way as well...well built and heavy.

Very familiar with a 20-ton Dual Split. I own the Northern Tool Powerhouse brand Dual Split with the 206cc Powerhorse (Chinawan) engine...splitter/engine has never missed a beat. Drove out a little over $900 for mine brand new, three years ago. Splitting both directions saves a ton of time with a 7-sec one-way cycle time. Bought a custom 4-way wedge for it...now you talk about a time saver. It'll mound up a big pile of splits in no time.

If you get one, I'll see if I can't dig up the fellas name/address where I bought my 4-way from. Very good price on the 4-way as well...well built and heavy.
Went to have a look at the Northern Tool unit, and it shows up as no longer available. Pisser.

Went to have a look at the Northern Tool unit, and it shows up as no longer available. Pisser.
They discontinued it about two years ago. Who knows why...it got 5 outta 5 reviews across dozens of reviews. Go figure!!

Thanks for the input @USMC615 . Is there anything you don't like about your Dual Split? What does your 4-way look like, just a double ended slip-on wedge?
Nothing wrong with any part of the splitter. I'll be back at my home/shop shortly, I'll post up some pics of splitter and 4-way (slip on). Daughter's got me runnin balls to the wall right now. Lol

@kingOFgEEEks...here's a couple of pics of the NT Dual Split right after we assembled it in the shop. And a couple of pics of the slip-on 4-way. I'll say this much only because I've got a SS HD as well...two people on the Dual Split with 7-sec one-way cycle time, with the 4-way, can just about keep up with two folks on the SS HD, all day long, depending on how small you want your splits. The 4-way is 8" tall and from the bottom of the beam to the center of the side wings is 4"...perfect size splits for my living room fireplace and wood stove in the shop. I cut my rounds to 15-16" due to the depth of my living room fireplace.

c76df43b688361c46136450bd5b2bf9b.jpg

100b67b39c0f0a566be38cba48217e85.jpg

d630bad2589e45f832c9639899ae4102.jpg

d68c9e656455617c06c8e74fe88e425d.jpg
f49eb671e060400ee2b5d9cc1d181095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Steve, got to thinkin about it...check out GNE (Great Northern Equipment)...they made a black painted version, was a little more than the NT version, it had a Honda GC engine on it. I think when I bought my NT Dual 20-ton, the GNE was around $1200. Little food for thought...don't know if they're still selling them or not.

I have the powerhorse splitter also, and happy with it. Seems silly to me to have to wait for the ram to return to split again. This was an inexpensive splitter that is faster. I put mine up on car ramps to get a comfortable working height, otherwise I'm stooping a little while splitting. I had considered a Supersplit but could not justify the additional cost for just a few cords a year that I burn

Back