Opinions on Maul and Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that same splitter , I think I paid less than $30.00 at Lowes or Home Depot

misc179.jpg

Thank you, Richard. Looks like you do pretty well with it. My plan would be to split what I can with the blade side, and hit the wedge with the maul side when needed.

I also have the same maul and have split about 6 cord with it this year. It works very well. Got mine at Lowe's too and a wedge that looks similar to the one you have picked out.

Last edited:
beware of that maul. I have it and NEVER use it, I hate it. The head on the fiskars is different than the one pictured on the 2nd post. People have told me they love the fiskars, but the one you buy (and I bought!) at lowes sucks...

I'd like to try that maul. I like my Fiskars but sometimes it just doesn't have the ass needed for tougher, larger rounds. Also, the handle on the Fiskars is a bit short for me (28"), an overswing with it and I can relieve myself of a toe very easily. I like the 36" handle, I can really get it moving without worrying about hitting my foot.

I wouldn't be surprised if that maul will work good in pine and fir, but eastern hardwoods are differant in the way it splits .I tried a maul that looked pretty near identical to that except it was all black. I didn't use it long. It split the easy stuff well enough but no better then an axe in my opinion. When the wood was a little tough or sticky the maul wasn't tough enough and it would stick in the wood , then you would spend more time fighting the maul out of the wood then splitting. I don't know about the wedge, if it gets to where a monster maul doesn't split it well I make noodles with the chainsaw or use an hydrolic woodsplitter depending on the situation.

Yes, easy to rent but usually expensive. It doens't take long renting it to justify buying one.

I have one exactly like the one you posted originally. It's only 4 lbs, but the thing splits great. I have noticed that the head on mine has started to come a bit loose, but I have split over 10 full cords with it since last year so I guess even if I have to replace it I'll have gotten my both my $27 worth and my exercise.

Almost any maul will work well. Remember - it's more the operator and the wood type than the design or cost of the maul.

finally tried out my Fiskars , wow , for as light as it is , it works great , nice change after swinging the heavier one all day

I don't split a whole lot. Just enough for my use, and i use a plain old 6lb maul. Was my grandpa's, put a new hickory handle in it. Works great. They sell all the funny shaped stuff around here, but nobody uses them. Everyone says they suck. Only ones i have tried are a 6 and 8 lb. I have one of those 12lb wedge shaped head things in the shed, but haven't tried it. It was given to me. I split oak. Mostly 20" or so.

With the exception of the handle that looks like the Tru Temper splitter my kids picked up for me at Wal-Mart. It splits real well after I finished sharpening it. Doesnt get stuck in tough wood as bad as a timber axe. It does send the splits flying. I end up walking further to pick up the pieces than when I use a 4# Dunlop axe. The head of the Tru Temper I use is not suited for driving steel wedges.

For $60 I would get a 6 or 8 pound maul and a 3 1/2 or 4 pound axe. Then clean them up with a belt sander and head straight to the wood pile to do some damage. Wedges should be bought in pairs when splitting in Elm, Gum or Sycamore.

Anything the maul wouldnt split the saw will.

I never used the maul but I prefer good wooden handles (Hickory) that yoiu can replace when they go. Try SNOW AND WHEALY. i HAVE HAD IT FOR A WHILE it works good and it is MADE IN THE USA.

Also I bought that piece of junk wedge/ grenade and I hate it it gets stuck all the time. good luck

i have that fancy spliter, it works great on small wood, but it is useless on BIG rounds.
have to split those up with wedges/sledge or rip with saw first.

and YES it will toss chunks far far far away.....

I have that same maul and it has worked great on small to medium logs the 2 years I've had it but hasn't got much use since my daughter bought me this www.hartvilletool.com for my birthday:clap:
wood017.jpg

wood018.jpg

Latest posts

Back