Opinions on Maul and Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrap a bungy cord arounde your rounds and they stay on the chopping block, se my youtube video.....works great....

One of the ultra low profile tires lag bolted to the spitting stump holds up to the axe. Doesnt require any fiddling and is always ready. The stump and tire isn't to portable so the bungy might work out if I'm not in the yard.

Thanks for the link.

I have the Fiskars axe, not the splitter, and it really is a beautiful wood weapon. It is a bit of an odd length but after your first hour or so swinging you get used to the length. To repeat what others have said on this, do yourself a favor and get the fiskars sharpener too. My brother in law was using the axe to cut out a wedge he had pounded too far in he whacked the top of the wedge on a full swing, dulling half the blade. I tried grinding it out but that just seemed to ruin the rest of the edge, tried filing it but that didn't seem to do anything. I finally got the sharpener and after about 10 minutes that edge was almost good as new. One thing I did notice and it drove me nuts was that the end of the handle curves up, probably to help you keep the axe in your hand. However i found that with the vibrations from the axe it was just killing my pinkie after about a half hour of use. I still haven't found a trully comfortable way to use it but I know that it has been a constant companion for the first year that we were using an old Victorian parlor stove I cut and split all my wood with that one axe.

Do yourself a favor. Rent, buy, or whatever else you have to do to get ahold of a hydraulic wood splitter. Spent a good deal of my younger days swinging an ax, maul, sledge, wedge, super splitter, wing wedge dealy, etc to split wood..............

..........osteoarthritis in my right thumb just bit me in the a**. Surgery was able to fix it but doc said if I hadn't swung those tools all those years I wouldn't have had to have it operated on. Too much blunt force trauma to the Metacarpal (hand/wrist) when doing this.

Yeah swinging an ax/maul/whatever is manly. It's also painful at age. Get a hydraulic splitter.

Just an opinion from an old guy with more scars than Frankenstien.....:givebeer:

Do yourself a favor. Rent, buy, or whatever else you have to do to get ahold of a hydraulic wood splitter. Spent a good deal of my younger days swinging an ax, maul, sledge, wedge, super splitter, wing wedge dealy, etc to split wood..............

..........osteoarthritis in my right thumb just bit me in the a**. Surgery was able to fix it but doc said if I hadn't swung those tools all those years I wouldn't have had to have it operated on. Too much blunt force trauma to the Metacarpal (hand/wrist) when doing this.

Yeah swinging an ax/maul/whatever is manly. It's also painful at age. Get a hydraulic splitter.

Just an opinion from an old guy with more scars than Frankenstien.....:givebeer:
Yeah, true, but wallowing around big rounds and all that bending over is rough on the back too. And the noise. And unless you got somebody placing and turning them, somebody else to feed, and someone to run the lever, it is sooo much slower.

Yeah, true, but wallowing around big rounds and all that bending over is rough on the back too. And the noise. And unless you got somebody placing and turning them, somebody else to feed, and someone to run the lever, it is sooo much slower.

Man I gotta disagree with that. Even with one hand injured I'll take you one on one your ax/maul/splitter against my hydraulic. All it takes is one hard nosed round to make you lag behind far enough you can't catch up.

If you've got one that goes vertical (mine does) the big rounds aren't an issue.

a 30-pack usually gets me all the help I need..............GRIN

Man I gotta disagree with that. Even with one hand injured I'll take you one on one your ax/maul/splitter against my hydraulic. All it takes is one hard nosed round to make you lag behind far enough you can't catch up.

If you've got one that goes vertical (mine does) the big rounds aren't an issue.

a 30-pack usually gets me all the help I need..............GRIN

Sorry man, you by yourself, no help, and me also...i doubt it. Im not saying i'm the best, but im not bad. In really hard knotty stuff, sure you win, but in good stuff 20" or so, you don't stand a chance. Cause if a lick or two don't do it, i'll move on and i'll have a pile of the easy stuff built up and can come back to the knotty sticks. And vertical or not, you still gotta wrestle them under the splitter. And my maul was my grandpa's, i had to put a $12 handle in it. So the cost is worth it to me, regardless of speed. And some wood is tougher than others, some trees have more knots and crotches, and so on, so there are a lot of variables we can argue on. But IMO, if i gotta work alone, give me my maul, and a couple of wedges for really tough stuff just in case, and i'm happy. I wouldn't wanna work a splitter alone. My wood is usually red oaks 20" to 24" or so, and all the limbs and so on. What are we comparing here, what is your usual stuff?

I will add this, i am basing my statements on splitters i've seen and used. I dunno, you may have the mac daddy splitter or something, but in most situations, im still putting bets on myself. And if i have someone standing them up and such for me, and you do the same, I feel even more favorable.

Last edited:
I bought a maul, and it was too blunt for my liking, so I sharpened it with the bench grinder. Its better, but still no match for the Fiskars splitting axe. I also have the much lighter Fiskars chopping axe, and do most of my splitting with those two. If they can't get it done, the saw will make noodles. BTW, you wouldn't believe how well that feather light Fiskars axe works! I think the fact that the edge is sharp and it swings soooooo fast has a lot to do with it.

I have gone to cutting my logs shorter to make splitting easier. It also makes lifting easier, and the smaller splits are more easily packed into the stove.

To protect your self from injury with a perceived too short axe handle, place your logs to be split on a large round. It makes for a more solid surface, and keeps your axe from ever reaching the ground. Stuff that won't split on the ground will more often than not split on a solid surface.

Back