Opinions on this cylinder/piston please? 630 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replace with a 266 husky kit. I rebuilt a 630 for a friend that had the 50mm OE husky top end that someone had "ported". I cleaned up the cyl and put a new Meteor Piston kit in it. Works great.
May need to swap carb blocks but those aren't expensive
Not on a saw with a beat out crank.

Was there a husky twin to this saw? I have all kinds of older husky parts. Also have at least one 630 that i havnt opened up yet. But before you go throwing a different top end on there, do the bearings and seals on it too, ive learned that lesson already on the older machines.

I can confirm the main crank bearing is gone. I could measure radial play with a steel rule..... I cant imagine an aftermarket crank would be worth it so I guess that's it
A crank plus bearings, seals and then a new top end would spell not worth the bother rebuilding, posted for those that don`t read before posting. ;)

It appears you should complete a full takedown with parts inspection like the rebuild is happening. List and sell your parts quickly. Most people drop the ball here. Add prices and give a 30% discount to anyone who wants it all.

They already have a plan and you don't need any of it now. If you're stuck go local and offer collateral to a shop near you with a good rep that sells tools. Ten are around every town. Ask around at the gas stations for small engine repair. Some do it some don't. They know the locals in that area. Pawn shops with good people sell and give some backup when things go sideways. Most honor a good paying person on pawn deals.

It appears you should complete a full takedown with parts inspection like the rebuild is happening. List and sell your parts quickly. Most people drop the ball here. Add prices and give a 30% discount to anyone who wants it all.

They already have a plan and you don't need any of it now. If you're stuck go local and offer collateral to a shop near you with a good rep that sells tools. Ten are around every town. Ask around at the gas stations for small engine repair. Some do it some don't. They know the locals in that area. Pawn shops with good people sell and give some backup when things go sideways. Most honor a good paying person on pawn deals.
I just picked up a near new Husky 450 for $25 from a local shop…out of their boneyard. Basically just needs a carb and a few minor parts. Motor looks new inside.

Okay, Ive been here and done this- way back in the early 1990's when I did not know enough.
I had a friend pass away early, leaving a wife and two kids- cancer got him before he turned 30- we had worked together falling trees, he stuck with it, I did not.
When he passed he had an old beat up 066 in his garage- worn beyond practical use- but a potential parts donor for main work saws.
I got hold of it, decided to do it up in honour and memory. Did what I thought was enough- new main bearings, new piston new cylinder and a few other things- same old crank that had done a million hours as a forestry saw.
Got it all together and it lasted about 2 hours before the bottom rod big end bearing let go and took out the top end.

Shelve that 630 and cut your losses.
162SE if you can find a good one is your parts donor for it. You might find a reasonable 162 with a busted magnesium tank or something- all you want is the engine- not the bolt on bits.

In the meanwhile, try to find a Husqvarna 61, 266 or 268. They can usually be found in reasonable condition and are pretty much the same chassis family as your 630- but easier to find parts for- genuine and aftermarket.
That will get you a dependable saw- then you can worry about the Jonsered as opportunities present themselves to do something with it.

Was there a husky twin to this saw? I have all kinds of older husky parts. Also have at least one 630 that i havnt opened up yet. But before you go throwing a different top end on there, do the bearings and seals on it too, ive learned that lesson already on the older machines.

Engine wise- Husqvarna 162 was the "twin".

Okay, Ive been here and done this- way back in the early 1990's when I did not know enough.
I had a friend pass away early, leaving a wife and two kids- cancer got him before he turned 30- we had worked together falling trees, he stuck with it, I did not.
When he passed he had an old beat up 066 in his garage- worn beyond practical use- but a potential parts donor for main work saws.
I got hold of it, decided to do it up in honour and memory. Did what I thought was enough- new main bearings, new piston new cylinder and a few other things- same old crank that had done a million hours as a forestry saw.
Got it all together and it lasted about 2 hours before the bottom rod big end bearing let go and took out the top end.

Shelve that 630 and cut your losses.
162SE if you can find a good one is your parts donor for it. You might find a reasonable 162 with a busted magnesium tank or something- all you want is the engine- not the bolt on bits.

In the meanwhile, try to find a Husqvarna 61, 266 or 268. They can usually be found in reasonable condition and are pretty much the same chassis family as your 630- but easier to find parts for- genuine and aftermarket.
That will get you a dependable saw- then you can worry about the Jonsered as opportunities present themselves to do something with it.
Locally here...266xp, 3 chains for $250. Marketplace
I may buy it just for fun...already have 1 so should be twice as good, right? 🤪

Yep, have a couple of XP ones myself way over here. good saws for a one saw plan.
Was my first bought saw, starting out on a firewood crew cutting Almond and Walnut orchards in the early 80s. Had a borrowed 031 to go with it.
Paid by the cord, not hourly so learned how to move fast...or starve :p

The 266`s one would find in this area would be beat to death unless rebuilt by those few like me, I built a friend 5 of them in total like 10-12 years ago, they all needed a lot of parts and hours of work to put them in good running condition. I kept one in stellar condition for a few years but recently let another member have it for his collection. Sadly my wood cutting friend can no longer cut with me, Parkinson's has taken its toll.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I’ve been burned on used parts for cars, tools, etc so may times I’ve forgotten most of them. I now pay what I need to pay for a good tool, part, etc because the uncertainty and hassle of getting burned took the pleasure out of saving a buck. I realize you might not be in the financial position to do that just yet, but maybe make it a goal for the future to pay a little more and buy once. Chalk this one up to lesson learned and don’t beat yourself up over it. We’ve all been there. Good luck.

As above, so below is my saw and it looks like this because the wrist pin is so sloppy it might as well be doing cartwheels in there. Am I missing something?

The saw runs fine but leans out like it has a leak sometimes but it has more power, other times it bogs down cutting a 4 inch branch. I don't get it
Micro-scratches to me say AIR FILTER NOT WORKING, sucking trash/ fines; the leaning maybe seals/ boots?

Yes it can be, the used market is best left to those that really know saws as just anyone buying a used saw mostly takes the word of the seller and in many cases the seller is trying to rid himself of a worn out or problematic saw. I am in Nova Scotia and seldom see a ,good low hour saw sell here for a decent price.
I know better, not going to dwell on it though. Just bought an ms261. Some day I might part with it and it'll be a fair price. Until then, I'm cutting wood

I know better, not going to dwell on it though. Just bought an ms261. Some day I might part with it and it'll be a fair price. Until then, I'm cutting wood
Best of luck to you, the 261 is a very well respected saw and under the right conditions it will last many years, I have yet to lose a saw from neglect and have run some, mostly 044`s for 16-17 years cutting thousands of cords of wood on commercial cuts, wore the piston and rings down on my oldest saw, then rebuilt it from the crankcase on up with all new OEM parts. That saw is still cutting firewood for its new owner, he actually mostly bucks firewood from long length tree stems on a cost per cord for multiple customers.

Latest posts

Back