Opinions wanted on early/mid 90's sport ATV's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
We're thinking about getting another ATV. We currently have four, but there are five of us. I'd like to get a early/mid 90's sport ATV. It will be used as a trail ATV and just general riding.

The ATV's I'm considering are the Honda Fourtrax 250X and 300EX, Kawasaki Mojave 250, Suzuki Quad Sport 250 and Yamaha Warrior 350. I have experience with the 250X and Warrior. I had a 92 250X for a few years. My uncle had a late 80's Warrior. I've always liked the Warrior's size. I'm 6 foot, 250 lbs.

I rode a Quad Sport 230 years ago. I use to ride with a guy that had a 250 Quad Sport. I never rode it though. My 250X and his QS 250 seemed to perform pretty much the same as far as power and speed.

I don't have any experience with the 300EX or the Mojave. I did ride a 400EX once. I don't need the power the 400EX has. Is it safe to assume that the 250X and 300EX are pretty much the same machine with the 300EX having a little more power?

How do the five ATV's I mentioned stack up against each other as far as performance, handling and overall quality go's? I'm sure each model has their own flaws. What are some things to look for with them? Hopefully I can find one that is still stock.

The Kawasaki Lakota looks nice too. I think I want a manual clutch though.

Can't speak on the Honda's but the Warriors seem to be pretty durable machines...just sold an 87.
One you may want to consider is a Polaris Trail Boss...little more of a utility if you leave the racks on...and auto trans. I have a 91 that I just can't kill and for a 300 suprising power, I've been impressed w/ the abuse I've put it through and the 2-stroke just keeps on runnin.

Honda 300ex
:agree2:

You'll NEVER beat a Honda for durability and of the quads you mentioned the 250 or 300ex have the best trail handling. between the two the 300ex will give you a little more power, electric start and reverse.

:agree2:

You'll NEVER beat a Honda for durability and of the quads you mentioned the 250 or 300ex have the best trail handling. between the two the 300ex will give you a little more power, electric start and reverse.

+1 on that, Honda rules!! But man, If you could find a TRX 250R, you might never look back. They made them from '86 to '89. For a two stroke, they are very reliable, you can putt them around all day long, and never foul a plug. Plus, you get a 6th gear. That 6th gear is like over drive. It sips gas. Plus boat loads of power on demand, but very smooth, manageable power. Very easy to ride. Best quad ever made.

My 92 250X was kick start, but it did have reverse. 250R's are nice. My friend had one years ago. It would smoke my 250X, especially when we got to a field. However I want to stay with a four stroke. I'm going to be riding with my wife and kids (7, 11 and 15) most of the time. When I ride with my friends, I'll probably ride my Big Bear 4x4.

If you can afford it...get a 400EX. Nice torque maker, take to simple mods very well and parts are plentiful. For you size, I can't imagine you and anything smaller than that! My neighbor is about as big as you and has 2 warriors...looks like a clown on them...way to small.
Like this...

9-14-08031.jpg

The old 400's don't but the new one's do...added last year I believe.

The TRX 450R is nice as well, and your choice of kick or electric.

Reverse is an absolute must. The reason I'm looking at early/mid 90's is the price. I wish I could afford a newer 400EX, Raptor or a V-Force, unfortunately I can't. My friends 400EX was awesome, more power then I need, but the bike was sweet, that's for sure!

Last edited:
I've got an 87 Warrior, bought it new. :)
Pretty much been a bulletproof machine aside from varnish buildup in the carb due to lack of use.

If you can find a clean one, that would be the best way to go.

Ed

I used to have a 1990 Warrior. And that machine will run forever, always took a beating and kept on going. I once broke a chain and it cracked the transmission housing, I TIG welded it back together and to this day my nephew is still riding that quad.

If i wanted another budget sport quad, i would find a warrior hands down.

I used to have a 1990 Warrior. And that machine will run forever, always took a beating and kept on going. I once broke a chain and it cracked the transmission housing, I TIG welded it back together and to this day my nephew is still riding that quad.

If i wanted another budget sport quad, i would find a warrior hands down.
i'm still rockin a 350x three wheeler from when i was 14 . I got it for christmas and new yrs. day i hit a tree stump flipped it over and almost lost my eye . lol

i have had the yamaha 350 and did not like the balance. and the honda's i had seemed 2 last longer. but i do like the blaster i have one with 3000 worth of improvements. its fun being 2 stroke and all but you being 200 pounds you might want 2 go with a bigger 4wheeler. now the 450's r were its at or a banshee

How about a 250R? You can pick them up for a reasonable price. I am a big fan of the newer 450's. I have a Honda and a Yamaha. I would really recommend saving a little more and picking up one of those.

I have a project '87 250X that I am building an engine for, Its a fun little ride. Got it from a buddy for 600.00 missing 3rd gear. Pulls strong for a 250 and lots of part available (uses most 300EX parts) Most of my buddies ride 400EXs of various years, nearly bulletproof. I understand the early 450R's had frame issues but that has been corrected. One of my buddies races one of the early ones and it is a wicked ride. It's been massaged for more power and has a full Elka suspension and the thing is absolutely sick.

I understand the early 450R's had frame issues but that has been corrected.

I want to say that there was some engine issue as well.... I can't remember what. Either way, I'm strippin mine down to stuff a cbr600efi in it. Should be a good ride around next fall...

I've owned a 250ex, 300ex and a 400ex. The 400ex is night and day in power. The 250ex and 300ex are about the same in power, but the 300 has electic start and reverse.

My choice if power wasn't an issue is the 300ex. It was a tank that ran and ran with very little maintance. Working the reverse is awkward.
The bike has good power for the wooks and is a good size. I'm 5'10" btw.
It does have the manual clutch and is cold nature, but the all were.

They are great hill climbers also and will be close to the price of a 250ex, but with the electric start and reverse.

I want to say that there was some engine issue as well.... I can't remember what. Either way, I'm strippin mine down to stuff a cbr600efi in it. Should be a good ride around next fall...

is that your dog or monkey thats really funny i thought that it was a small child in a costume but i'm just a stupid:censored:

Latest posts

Back