Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRCCArborist

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Shenandoah Valley, VA but work in the Washington D
About 4 months ago I moved to a new area to live with my fiance. I took a position with one of the bigger tree companies as a spray technician. I dislike larger companies and spraying, I would rather climb, but I am fully licensed and I needed a job. So I took the job, and even though I disliked it, I did my best, I tried to be as efficient as possible and even worked hours off the clock to make things more profitable. I felt that my supervisor was not always the best at routing, scheduling, etc and seemed to drag his feet getting started, which frustrated me even further.It was also becoming clear that work was starting to dry up a bit. I was offered a climbing position with a small company that would be less of a commute, 50 hours a week, increase in pay, and the same benefits. This company is also apparantly a big rival with my current company. Although I hated to leave a job after 4 months, I decided I needed to look out for myself and the new life my fiance and I are trying to make for ourselves. I took the job. When I gave my written two weeks notice, the office manager became upset. When I told him I would do whatever necessary to make the transition easier, he told me " I think the best thing to do would be to do your route for today, and if (other companies name) is where you want to be, go work for them." I told him that I had given two weeks notice and he told me not to worry about it, which obviously put me into a bit of a bind. The attitude he displayed upset me, but I tried to be a professional. I did my route and turned in my company property. My question to you all is, should I feel guilty about leaving the company? I can't help but feel bad, as I understand where the manager is coming from in a way. I was only there for a short time, but it just did not work out in my eyes. I guess I'm just looking from reassurance that I did the right thing. Any thoughts?

You are doing the work you enjoy and your getting paid more. So why is there even a question if its the right thing. If you had been with the big company for years and they had trained you, invested time and money in you then maybe you owe them some loyalty. But I think this was the right time to leave if your gonna do it. If the big company valued you as an employee, they should have put up a little fight to keep you, like offer to beat there pay.

Good luck

Last edited:
If your not happy, your not happy. No two ways about it. The last thing you need to do is bring your "bad work" home with you when your trying to start a family. I know that from experience. Having a bad day is one thing, but when you are unhappy every day at work, it shows in your personal life too. I think the way you handled it was as professional as you could. Just because your boss was unprofessional towards you doesn't mean you have to feel guilty about what you did.

You are doing the work you enjoy and your getting paid more. So why is there even a question if its the right thing. If you had been with the big company for years and they had trained you, invested time and money in you then maybe you owe them some loyalty. But I think this was the right time to leave if your gonna do it. If the big company valued you as an employee, they should have put up a little fight to keep you, like offer to beat there pay.

Good luck

Good points made here IMO regarding paid training. If you invest in something or someone it is fair to expect a return. If you do not, then you should have no issue with that person moving on.

Perhaps your supervisor is getting pressured from his boss and this is colouring his attitude.

I believe you have done the right thing by yourself and by your old and new employers. I run my own company and if a valued employee came to me and said he or she was leaving my first reaction would be to ask them what their reasons for leaving were and what could I do to change their mind. If, after an amicable discussion, it was not possible to keep them then I would wish them well and honour any existing agreements. I have worked for many good people before striking out on my own and there are some old bosses who I would go back to work for should things change in business for me. The ones I would gladly rehire with are the ones who made saying goodbye easy.

Good luck with the new job. Send us some nice working pictures. :cheers:

When I got into tree work I left a landscaping company where I was their spray tech as well as did all of their ornamental pruning. I also worked as the groundman for the arborist we had on staff when I wasn't busy with my own duties. I had been a foreman before I did that managing our largest commercial properties. They had sent me to school to be an applicator as well as paid for turf management classed. After I finished my classes they gave me one man and let me pretty much work on my own. I really didn't have any major complaints with the company I was just bored to death with spraying and ornamental pruning. Even more so once I got a taste of climbing. I went to work for a small tree company and never looked back.

If they really wanted to keep you they should have made the job more attractive to you either through better pay or a more desirable position. Your supervisor acted totally unprofessional in my opinion. You did nothing wrong. You have to do what's best for you and any reasonable supervisor would understand that.

Last edited:
you did nothing wrong.. boredom leads to bad work and a bad rep. I have left a lot of good people and jobs because of boredom over the years. the main thing is knowing when to leave. but be professional. that's the main reason I have been self employeed most of my life..

not done for an employer but here i write it....

you cannot expect them to smile when you are leaving.

if they do, that would be the time to question yourself.

It is always inconvenient when somebody leaves your company. If it would not be i call it bad management because it would mean your presence is not necessary, so an extra cost without benefit.

the fact that they didnt make a counter offer does not mean you were not needed or good but just that they have an alternative. The worst employee you can have is an unhappy one, so why force people to stay??

so, dont worry and go for it at the new place!

:)

take care of self. once work sucks, work sucks and its time to find a new spot when that happens.

spray rig? hellz no.

besides i'd think you just hit the motherload with this gig. 50hrs a week and a bump in pay? brother you are psyched up for sure.

you offered the 2week and he didnt bite at least you were willing to give him that so guilt shouldnt be weighing in here.

have fun with this new job as its nice to see some of those credentials on a rope. what does their workload look like? pruners? removals? full service?

stay safe.

You gave him 2 weeks notice and he gave you that attitude? IMO, the only thing you did wrong was finish your route for the day. With his attitude, I'd have walked right then and there. Why tale anyones crap?

Good luck with the new job. 50 hours a week and a raise is NOTHING to sneeze at in this economy. And you're doing what you like up in the trees. No guilt, move forward.:cheers:

I can't blame anybody for leaving a spray job. I can't keep techs here and end up doing a lot of spraying myself. I hate it with all my being. I even try to give it to another company and they don't want it.

The foreman was upset at what he was losing and nothing else. Seems like the grass is green on the other side. Nothing sucks more than travelling along way to work then put in a hard day then have to drive back. Especially when the traffic is heavy.. Go in Trees!

Thanks guys. I actually spoke to the guy today at the office when I was returning the rest of my stuff. He said no hard feelings and that I have a job there if I want it anytime. I'm really glad to have worked it out because I really like and respect the guy and I thought it would be a shame if those were his true colors. I can't blame the guy for being upset, I realize it is a hassle when someone quits during the season. I'm just happy not to have burned my bridges. On the plus side, I get to start my new job Wed. I'm using my little vacation to get some yard work done, as well as taking my fiance on a little trip Sunday. Thanks again for the advice and opinions.

You gave him 2 weeks notice and he gave you that attitude? IMO, the only thing you did wrong was finish your route for the day. With his attitude, I'd have walked right then and there. Why tale anyones crap?

Good luck with the new job. 50 hours a week and a raise is NOTHING to sneeze at in this economy. And you're doing what you like up in the trees. No guilt, move forward.:cheers:

:agree2:He did what is considered a professional courtesy.The way the foreman acted was neither proffesional,nor courtious.That is like holding your hand out to someone.and them slapping it away.
I would have called BS on him right then and there,then told him to kiss my ass.

BTW
They don't give a 2wk notice when they fire somebody

You did the right thing. I doubt, but reading the posts, that much if any time or money was invested by the company in training you. You need to go to the work you love and enjoy. Remember --- "Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

The foreman did not show any respect, courtesy or professionalism. Furthermore, if they really wanted to have you, they could have made a counter offer.. change jobs, increase pay, whatever.

Do not worry for more than half a second.. and move on!! Life is too short.

I know it is tough to loose a good employee, but they acted in a very inappropriate manner -- likely upset their competition was getting you.. but a poor way to show respect and appreciation.

Latest posts

Back