options for finishing milled timber??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathuranatha

Reaction score
G'day there fellas,
I'm fairly new to milling and never worked with rough sawed wood much before .I've been milling up studs and 4'x1' boards and i was going to build a cabin .Just wondering what I need to finish the rough sawed boards with?Just a sander like a 7" sander polisher , or would an orbital or a belt sander be better ? Or do I need a planer to use first?

Thanks Mat

I use a belt sander for slabs(table tops and such). If your lumber is just for framing and uniform, it should be fine. If you want it "perfect" use a thickness planer.

Hey Bob - can you please explain what a thicknesser is? That one's new to me...and has me curious. Thanks!

Thicknesser : has a reference surface parallel to surface being planed, I think you guys call this a planer.
Jointer or planer with a fence : reference surface is at an angle (usually 90º) to the surface being planed
Planer : no reference surface just one face being made flat.

I feel like this is one of those "two countries seperated by a common language" things. I think it is actualy more like one country seperated by lack of a comon language.

In the US what is usually refered to as a lunch box planer is actually a thickness planer. and this style of machine with either a movable bed or a movable head is called a thickness planer no mater what size it is. If it has two cutting heads and can process both sides of a board in one pass it is a surfacer or surface planer. a planer is a hand held power tool that is also sometimes called a power plane. the reality is that most guys refer to their surface planers as a planer.

Back