Ordered unassembled Bailey's ms 390 now what

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe your kit will come assembled but not tested. Current wisdom is to redo with Threebond, Dirko, etc. If you do a search there is lots of discussion. I have rebuilt a number but have gone s/h OEM from the evilbay. They are all still going.

Al.

That's what I've read but needed some direction to go. Where to get Threebond or Dirko ?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

A better saw to start with? :msp_sneaky:

LOL, my 390 8 pin sure cut like a banshee yesterday. Matter of fact the junk overweight 390 was used to cut the bigger stuff while the big bad 036 stayed in the smaller wood. Yea the 390 homeowner showed the 036 who was who! father in law (who owns the 036) was highly impressed with my junk a$$ 390. It seems you like to overrate some non essential facts.

OP, make sure it is sealed! If it runs as good as mine you'll be quite happy! Totally different saw when you are done.

I did. Now have ms261 . I'm fixing for back up saw.

Vary Nice saw that MS 261

They have a but load of torque

My 261

DSC_7471.jpg

And my 390 from Baileys that has a 25" ES 3/8's b/c

DSC_7991.jpg

JMO

What is that.. Is there an US equivalent

Gasket maker. Permatex makes an "ultra grey" that I have had great results with. A little cheaper and available at most auto parts stores. High oil resistance, for high torque load applications and withstands 500 degrees.

Last edited:
You need to figure out what happened to the first engine!

Fish. Just an FYI. Your posts are coming through. You can only do so much.

If he's replacing everything that can leak, does what caused the first one to burn up matter? I know you know more than I do about this stuff, so I'm asking.

Elaborate a tad!
Dull chain and bad fuel line.
I did notice problem but did not stop before damage occurred. Expensive learning lesson. Have switched to SEF to eliminate fuel issues. VP fuels only 2 miles out of the way on the way home from work.

Last edited:
I've learned allot here in the last couple months. Now have the resources here for success and confidence to repair. Was always intimidated by small engines. Have rebuilt car motors and rebuilt a few automatic transmissions 727, 904 and a 350

Do I need a decompression button ?

No you don't need one I plugged mine with a plug from a bigger Stihl saw

Baileys has the plug or you can get it at your local Stihl dealer for under $5

JMO

No you don't need one I plugged mine with a plug from a bigger Stihl saw

Baileys has the plug or you can get it at your local Stihl dealer for under $5

JMO

+1 here for me. Unless you have the actual MS390 cover that is designed for the decomp --- you really don't need it with this saw. Purchase the plug at the dealer or get one from Northwood saw. You can modify your existing cover if you like but to me it is not worth the time and effort to include it in your rebuild. Just plug it and run it! You should be happy with the MS390 swap. The one I did worked excellent!

Latest posts

Back